1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Send courage my way...

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by littlequick, Mar 13, 2013.

1. littlequick
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

littlequick EDC junkie

Just got a green light, I will be back on later with updates!!!!!!! I hope I get a higher score this time around!!!!!
    Gah I'm jumping for joy!

2. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Stay away from Combat Engineer. I've been attached to several Engineering units since I'm Quartermaster, and they're all like being in an Infantry unit with none of the glory. I hate working for them. Rotary mechanic I can't tell you much about, and Combat Medic is a pretty sweet job.

I had to take the ASVAB on top of my ACT. It wasn't a practice one either. They had a guy from MEPS come and administer it. I was required to take it, non-JROTC had an option to. The thing they don't tell you about the ASVAB is that the main score you get is only part of what they look at. They also look at the individual scores for the different sections. The most pertinent is the GT (General Technical) score. Having below a certain number on it will disqualify you from a wide variety of jobs, regardless of your main score.

kd7dvd and littlequick like this.
  3. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Good wishes coming your way.

Sent by Owl Post

littlequick likes this.
  4. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Best wishes! You have my utmost respect, littlequick! :D

littlequick likes this.
  5. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Good Luck! I hope you score higher and get to choose whatever MOS you want. I wouldn't worry about what rank you enter at. The first few promotions are almost automatic with most units from what I've been told. A little extra money to start is nice, but not really crucial, in 2 years you will be in the same place.

littlequick likes this.
  6. East Koast Kahuna
    • In Omnia Paratus

East Koast Kahuna Loaded Pockets

Best of luck littlequick! Go get 'em!

littlequick likes this.
  7. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I hope things work out for you. Good Luck !!!

littlequick likes this.
  8. Oaklington
    • In Omnia Paratus

Oaklington Loaded Pockets

I wish you the best of luck! :)

littlequick likes this.
  9. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

Good luck!

littlequick likes this.
  10. K1CKtheCHICKEN

K1CKtheCHICKEN Loaded Pockets

Good Luck! I'm going to see a recruiter this fall.

ShadowE, SurvivePenna and littlequick like this.
  11. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Good luck man! It's great that you're motivated to serve your country. I still remember the recruiter from my high school - nicest guy in the world. That guy is probably running the Pentagon by now.

littlequick likes this.
  12. Mighty Max
    • In Omnia Paratus

Mighty Max Loaded Pockets

Good luck dude. I've seen you around here, you're good people. I hope you get what you're looking for.

littlequick likes this.
  13. littlequick
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

littlequick EDC junkie

You heard it here first guys! I got to go to MEPS downtown and take my ASVAB. And the AFQT score is....

-insert drum roll-

89!

You guys heard it first here!
    Wow A LOT better than I was expecting!!! I didn't get a chance to look at my individual scores otherwise O would be researching jobs RIGHT NOW. But I did good in my eyes, and I had you guys behind me which means so MUCH. Tomorrow I believe they will be looking through my 15 papers to get waivers and whatever I need done. I told one of my recruiters I want the physical done ASAP. I believe that will be the next step unless some more medical crap comes up.

Long post about what happened:
    One of my recruiters, SGT M swung by in the govmobile to come pick me up. I needed my SS # so we had to go swing by my Mamas place to pick it up. BUT when we got there she was looking and looking, COULDN'T FIND ANY OF MY RECORDS. At that point I was freaking out. So I called SSG D, and he said until we can find the originals he has copies at the office. So we drove up there, and went to get so called "copies". The "copies" turned out to be my originals safe, and sound :). I talked to the other SSGs that were there and they seemed pretty excited that I was finally moving on with my enlistment. We had one more recruit to pick up from Minneapolis and then onto MEPS.
    We get there and although my Atwood Pest got through last time I went, this time No Go. :( It's a "tool" so my recruiter had to put it in the vehicle. I think cause last I was there I was going for my Battle Buddy and I was just a guest. But what was interesting was that they were okay with the peanut lighter, NO ONE AROUND HERE HAS EVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT. The security gaurd lit it up right then and there, was amazed. My recruiter also thought it was bad :censored: lol. But they would have been okay with my big blue carabiner? I feel like I could've messed someone up with that pretty good too. Anywho, we go in and another road bump. When they submitted us for ASVABs the test didn't go through to MEPS or something only on the recruiters computers. So he had to talk to another SGT or something. In the end we figured it all out.
    I began my test and I was really really nervous about it. First test was General Science I believe and I felt really stupid. Then came some math (there's two math sections?). And I did everything on the scrap paper that was provided, so the questions were decent. Once I hit Mechanics and Electronics it got hard. Mechanics was like all about engines, and I am not really good with electronics. Shop which is basically another section of mechanics was different, I atleast know tools! Then there was the last section about shapes and stuff. I really took my time on it, and I think I did pretty good. By this time my eyes were getting SO TIRED. I did the trick they told me for the Marine Corps, and that was to eat a snickers bar, and drink Mtn Dew. Apparently it is proven to make scores higher? LOL I dunno but it worked I think.
    After the ASVAB on the same computer they made me take a TAPAS test(?) It's a personality test and the point was to pick the lesser of two evils. LOL I kept getting screwed, it was like choice #1 "I'm lazy." choice #2 "Mountain Climbing is STUPID." WHAT DO I CHOOSE?! LOL. 120 sessions of it to do in about 30 minutes? I think I got it done in like 15. -shrug- It did say answer as quickly as possibly, but I think the countdown timer freaked me out on the tests in general. If you know you stare at clocks, prop your scrap paper over the clock in the corner and you'll be okay.

When it was all done I hung out and ate sandwiches with some new friends. Couple of future soldiers, gaurd, and seamen. All of them with high ambitions. It was really cool. Now I'm finally home stretching off all the stress I had. But from now on it really is out of my hands... What ever it is, IS from this point. So hopefully the physical goes well!!! I will call SSG D for an update after work tomorrow and we'll see if anything new happens.

Wow really? I think I'd rather just be infantry then! Combat Medic was my choice a while ago, but we'll see what is available. I will have to tell my buddy that might be a Combat Engineer about that.
    Nice! I wish mine was legit lol. Yeah I wasn't require by my JROTC unit. I saw that when I was looking through different MOS. Different scores add up to your chance of getting a job. If you don't make the cut in one section, no go Ghost Rider.
    I think I will look through different MOS tonight and see what I like.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR KEEPING ME POSITIVE, AS LONG AS THERE IS A CHANCE I AM GETTING INTO THE ARMED FORCES!!!!!!!!!!!

14. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Best of luck!!

littlequick likes this.
  15. Mighty Max
    • In Omnia Paratus

Mighty Max Loaded Pockets

16. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Good luck! Fingers crossed for you.

*grin* If you get in, I think there are quite a few of us with some insider advice to give.

littlequick likes this.
  17. Makaveli

Makaveli Loaded Pockets

Good luck. Unfortunately right now is not the greatest time to join, Uncle Sam is struggling.

Its a pain going on post every day and dealing and hearing rumors of things that will happen or could.

Dont expect much going in and be ready for the worst.

And think hard about what MOS you want. Remember that some things cant be unseen and that at the end of the day you may not get the real help you need to live a normal life. Benefits are not always there and who knows what the future holds.

Not trying to be negative but im just being upfront with you. People say i have issues because i deal with what i do so easy ( may not always be like that) but not everyone is the same.

I say that because kids play video games and think "cool" but things are different when you smell roting flesh as you try to take a dump while being shot at.

Anyways, good luck..just being honest with you.. I have no regrets and im proud to serve my country. Not many do what i do and my family is small but i love them all and i would give up my life for my brothers. Have that mentality and never look back

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

littlequick likes this.
  18. littlequick
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

littlequick EDC junkie

Thank you for not hiding the truth, and for not trying to sell it. I really want it. I could sit all day and look at every single MOS there is. But I know I won't feel right anyways until I get to put that uniform on every single day, and salute our flag.

19. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

You will get a certain chill the first time you snap to attention and salute the flag at your first duty station.

SurvivePenna, kd7dvd and littlequick like this.
  20. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Whatever you end up with, and no matter how far you go, you'll always have my respect and admiration.

Thanks again

littlequick likes this.