1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sellier & Bellot Ammo Opinions?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Firedrow, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Firedrow

Firedrow Loaded Pockets

Mid-Missouri has been hard to find .380 Auto ammo for a while. But today I stopped by a little shop and all they had in .380 Auto FMJ was Sellier & Bellot ammo. I bought 200 rounds to try out, but I've never heard of them. Anyone has any opinions on it?

I will try to use the ammo this weekend and come back with how it feeds and shoots in my P3AT.

2. P35

P35 Loaded Pockets

I have shot 100s of 9MM S&B FMJ ammo. Never a problem, it seems to be a bit hotter than most of the other practice FMJ ammo like WWB or UMC

3. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

At the range last weekend a guy was shooting S&B 380 & claimed he was having issues with the ammo out of his LCP, he gave me about 30 rounds & I had no problems out of my LCP. I'm not exactly sure what issues he had with the ammo, but there were no problems out of my gun.

4. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

The guy having trouble at the range may have been limp-wristing while shooting. This failure in shooting form often causes problems with pistols - particularly small and light pistols - that rely on blow back action to eject a spent round and chamber another. It allows too much of the recoil to be spent in the floppy wrist as opposed to the ejection-chambering cycle itself. Inasfar as Selliot & Belloit ammuntion itself, it's a mixed bag - definitely second tier ammo in my view. They often report - via their website's ballistic tables - that there ammo is hotter than it actually is. And sometime the ammo is hot, though sometimes it is not. On some cartridges - bullets actually - the casing is steel with either a very thin copper coat or paint. Many indoor shooting do not allow steel jacketed ammo to be used on their range. All that being said, I don't know that there is actually any harm to the range backstop or any additional liklihood of a bullet rebounding back into the area behind the shooter's line, but who knows? I have used .357 Sig Sellier & Belloit trunciated cone (relatively flat point) FMJ (all copper casing) in my Sig P226 and P229 without any failures to fire, eject, chamber or whatever. It once was an inexpensive round to buy, but that has changed in recent years. Now it's really no cheaper that any range ammo from winchester, remington, federal or what have you.

5. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Home Craftsman
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

I've shot thousands of rounds of S&B, primarily 9mm and 45ACP but also about 100 rounds of .30 carbine. No problems whatever.

6. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I've got a couple hundred rounds of S&B 380 at home, waiting for my next chance to get to the range to run it through my Bersa 380. Not sure when that'll be, I'm on after-hours call at work this week and I wouldn't be able to hear the pager if I was on the range. :)

It's on sale at Cabela's web site so I picked some up ($13.99 a box of 50 at the moment). It has been reported to be reliable in Bersas by people on other forums, so I'm hoping it will be in mine. I'll report back my experiences after I've shot some of it.

7. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Used to shoot a ton of it in 9mm and 45 and was very happy with it. Also, the factory test target I received with my CZ-75B was marked as being shot with S&B, so they must like it. I still have lots of their 12g buckshot loads and have always liked them. I kinda like the idea of clear hulls for shotgun loads, lets you know what you've got at a glance even if the markings are wearing off from bulk storage.

8. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

Well I did get a chance to get out to the range with the Sellier and Bellot FMJ 380 ammo. 4 failure-to-feed jams out of the first 25 rounds of it I tried. Gun used was a Bersa Thunder 380, through which I have fired 250 rounds of Magtech FMJ, 100 rounds of range-provided reload FMJ, and about 60 self-defense rounds (mostly JHPs, some +Ps, 4 kinds from 3 manufacturers). No issues at all except with the S&B. I've still got 175 rounds of the stuff, so I'm sure I'll eventually use it up, but I won't be buying any more for that gun.

Other Bersa Thunder 380 owners say it is completely reliable and is their first choice for target ammo. Maybe I just got a bad batch or maybe my gun is picky. Mine feeds flat-nose lead ammo with no complaints, while that causes problems for others.

9. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Its funny how some guns like some ammo and others don't. I had a Seecamp .32 years ago that was designed to function only with SilverTips, and it did, you couldn't get 3 or 4 rounds of anything else thru it before a jam.

10. CenterMass

CenterMass Loaded Pockets

S&B is Czech-made ammo. Czechs know their guns and their ammo. Ive shot hundreds of rounds of S&B in .223 and different pistol calibers with never an issue. Buy with confidence.

11. Patriot222

Patriot222 Empty Pockets

It's good quality ammo! I've been running it through LCP's and Diamondbacks without issue. I'll be featuring this ammo in a torture test video for the Diamondback, in which I'll be running at least 300 rounds through the gun as fast as my loaders can load the 5 magazines for me. I think you'll see that it performs admirably.

12. uspopo

uspopo Loaded Pockets

I've shot SB 9mm and 5.56mm ammo with no issues in my firearms. You can shoot it with confidence.

Stan