1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Self Defense and Knives: Your View?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by robo-rabbit, Feb 22, 2014.

?

What is your view?

1. Knives are tools, not to be used for self defense

10.9%
  2. Knives are tools that can double for self defense

37.4%
  3. Only used as a last-ditch thing

35.6%
  4. Can be used to deter an attacker

1.7%
  5. Only use the handle for blunt striking

0.6%
  6. Forget it. You won't be able to grab it in time.

5.2%
  7. Other (Please Explain)

8.6%
  1. On Edge

On Edge EDC Junkie!!!

I agree with Evil D in that; if you're going to threaten my life, or those of my loved ones, then ANYTHING becomes a weapon that I will use to defend my life or theirs.

Beyond that I voted "other" because I think it's a user-specific answer. It would be one of my last choices, and I wanted to make the following point ...

Years ago, I witnessed a very ugly bar fight gone wrong, and knives were pulled. I won't lay it on those that haven't asked for the visual, but suffice it to say some things you can't un-see. I am not trained in Blade Craft, or any discipline that utilizes an edged weapon, and after seeing what it can do, I would avoid a blade oriented engagement at (almost) any cost. One of the reasons I carry a firearm.
    I hear folks (often "young guns") making noises about how they carry their knives mainly for self-defense and I sincerely hope that: a) they are trained, and b) they never have to.

I have gotten out of some very sticky situations using my wits and my observations about human nature. I'd take those any day …

Gallows likes this.
  2. Incon

Incon Loaded Pockets

That is what he recommended, yes. Me personally, i would, depending on the situation, have no problem utilizing my GP100 to protect my wife and children if it came to that. A knife,however, would not be my first choice.

Gallows and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  3. flphotog

flphotog Loaded Pockets

I carry a knife, usually a fixed blade and a folder, that being said it would definitely be a last ditch effort. Keep in mind, get into a knife fight, win or lose you will get cut.

4. Incon

Incon Loaded Pockets

so, MA laws as far as knife carry are that a knife is only a tool for work and if its part of you employment ie: emt firefighter police construction worker etc..And a blade no longer than 2.5". i am a welder and use a knife on a daily basis and carry one. it is a 2.5" blade. But I carry mace for personal defense. if i'm at home i have a f-a nearby ready to go as well as mace. the situation would determine which one of those i would use.

5. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Is a pocket knife a weapon? Absolutely not. But it could be better than no weapon at all, maybe.

If I needed an impromptu weapon, I'd try to grab a hammer or wrench or something rather than use a pocket knife. However, I do have relevant training so that if I had nothing better, I could probably defend myself with a pocket knife at least as well as without one, maybe better.

Gallows likes this.
  6. jda

jda Loaded Pockets

Its a tool to buy time and create space for me to either de-:censored: the area, or get my firearm into play.

They 100% have a place as defensive implements, infact I carry a brous silent soldier at 11 o'clock for just that.