1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Self Defense and Knives: Your View?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by robo-rabbit, Feb 22, 2014.

?

What is your view?

1. Knives are tools, not to be used for self defense

10.9%
  2. Knives are tools that can double for self defense

37.4%
  3. Only used as a last-ditch thing

35.6%
  4. Can be used to deter an attacker

1.7%
  5. Only use the handle for blunt striking

0.6%
  6. Forget it. You won't be able to grab it in time.

5.2%
  7. Other (Please Explain)

8.6%
  1. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Lotta great replies here. Again, high points in bold sir, I enjoyed it very much.

YES...fatigue, adrenaline dump, distractions, unknown weapons, etc...fighting through it all is vital for survival. It doesn't feel comfortable at first, but neither is real violence.

YES...OC Spray can be a "time saver", but as you mentioned, direction change in air. YOU may be the one standing downwind...violence shows no prejudice. Also the fact that it may not have the effect you thought it should. In my day job, I have seen perps fight through it, I have gotten sprayed while extracting perps from a cell...no fun. If you've ever had pepper spray go down your throat, you'll NEVER forget it. Also, you had BETTER know how to decontaminate yourself and others.

I agree on the over complication of things. Keep it simple. Be aware of many things, but you don't have to add them to your nervous system. Like Bruce Lee said, "Add what is specifically your own." (Something like that.)

"Fight" only if you MUST. Make it savage, make it fast. As for "extreme"...well, people have to realize that it is one of the key ingredients in violence. So be MORE EXTREME...

Final thoughts: Sad in this day and age, the perps have more rights it seems than the victims. So be prepared for a possible fight ala litigation. Be safe everyone...but please, NEVER be a victim if you have any means to prevent it.

2. Trave1ingEast

Trave1ingEast Loaded Pockets

Heel dust > knife

TDS and Gallows like this.
  3. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well, as an European and living in a country where laws don't seem to exist, I EDC a knife and a flashlight when outside of my home. I have nothing to defend myself with, if I don't carry a knife/tactical pen or pepper spray. Guns are banned, knives also, but knife laws are not accurate at all and I just don't care, also I chose a knife because It has lots of purposes unlike the pen and the spray. Pulling a knife on an bare handed attacker will work psychologically, because they will feel overpowered and turned from attackers to victims, and if they continue the attack/rob/whatever, the knife will work physically. And as one saying says: You will get out of jail, but will never get out of the grave.
    EDIT: Also, a screwdriver is a TOOL, but can be used as a weapon. A shoelace is a 'tool' that can be used as a weapon, and a sock is a piece of clothing that can be used as a weapon.
    And remember, there are no dangerous weapons, there are dangerous people.

Last edited by IHateBottleOpeners, Oct 30, 2015
    Gallows and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  4. Longbow_06

Longbow_06 Banned

A knife is like a firearm. If you have to pull it, in a self defense situation, you'd better be darned certain you can use it.
    There's no such thing as shoot to wound. Same thing with a knife.
    There are no winners in a knife fight. All participants are going to come away with life altering wounds/scars. Or dead.
    Best way to use a knife in a self defense situation... Get in close, grab the belt or other stable clothing, pull 'em in so they can't swing at you, and jab away as fast and hard as you can. Preferably Brachial, Femoral, and Carotid area.

Gallows, Corgi and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

there is no such thing, bad things happen randomly, sometimes 100% unpredictable no matter where you are. maybe if you live in a bunker.

Swe_Nurse, Daywalker, Gallows and 3 others like this.
  6. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

One reason why people raise eyebrows when others carry knives is that they know that knives are only useful as offensive weapons. Stab someone from behind, scare folks to give you their belongings, for that a knife is working too well.
    Defensive use? None that I can see. Use knives as tools or be the bad guy, anything else is wishful thinking.

TDS, jackknife, Trave1ingEast and 2 others like this.
  7. NelsonIII

NelsonIII Loaded Pockets

Well if I have to use a knife for self defense in my day to day life, I have failed. I carry OC spray and if that fails, I have my concealed carry. I would run before I used either, unless my kids were with me.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Gallows, Corgi and Longbow_06 like this.
  8. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

some knives are built specifically for self defense (karambit, kris), while others are built to be used as tools (bushcraft, food prep, etc.)

so i think it depends on the situation in which you intend to use the knife.

as well, some non-self-defense knives can be used for such if the situation arises (hopefully it never does).

9. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I never cut anyone but myself with my knives. I am sure most of the people here will say the same. Knives are lousy SD weapons. In a pinch, last resort, life on the line, sure. But if some guy starts mouthing off to you, just walk away. Recognise dangerous situations before the happen. Hang around with like minded individuals. Don't do stupid things, or insult or aggrivate people you don't know.

I worked for 18 years in NYC, 10 of those in the South Bronx. I never need a defensive blade. In some circumstances, it made me feel safer, but I never had to pull it in fear.

Your brain is more powerful than any knive.

That being said... I really want a Civillian. So bad azz!

On Edge, TDS, Adahn and 6 others like this.
  10. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

I got one NIP, PE, Tuf Ram scales.;) You got good "taste" in knives Sriracha!

Sriracha and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

There is most certainly such as a "thing." I've avoided being hit by automobiles by not standing in the middle of a busy street. Been doing it most of my life and I'm here to tell you that it works. I suspect that all of you posting in this forum have done the same thing.

Cobra 6 Actual, Gallows and Cheeser like this.
  12. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

personally I would prefer a fire arm, an if not that my bostaff (which I have training with) or a walking stick but a knife would defiantly be better than bare handed.

13. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Aloha 0dBm ,

Not trying to cause any drama here, but that's because you are AWARE that the street is busy. I might be wrong, but I think thekapow meant that the nature of "bad things" are unpredictable. I mean, you could be aware that the street is busy, decide to cross elsewhere, only to get hit by some dude on a bicycle, or step in a pothole, have a piano drop on you (okay, the piano thing may only happen to Three Stooges), walking pass a doorway and you get knocked over by some dude running out of it, go into a public restroom and some dude with a "face" that looks like Swiss Cheese with long, flowing hair, suddenly comes up to you and starts talking smack...

Not sure if you stay up late enough to see all these "health" commercials on TV, but there's one where a waiter delivers a message to a person and it says, "You're going to have a heart attack today." Violence, bad things, etc. don't always come in the form of a message, or any other way of making one aware of what's about to go down. They just happen.

Be safe!

14. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Right ON sir! "Take two from me shillelagh an' don' bother cawlin' me in the moornin' ye dumb perp!":D

15. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

I'd pick the walking stick over the staff but only because I had more training with the walking stick

16. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

I agree...I just like Jo techniques.:D However, when I go with my soulmate on walks at this certain beachpark here, I carry a stick that I keep in my vehicle and use it as a "walking stick" here and there as we walk around...;)

17. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

So, your favorite martial art master is Carlie Chaplin and not Gandalf the Grey?

Interesting.

18. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Absolutely. Hapkido always had a comedic element.

Plus I never mastered wizardry :D

19. Daywalker
    • In Omnia Paratus

Daywalker EDC Junkie!!!

Not so sure about that sir...aren't you responsible for the arcane art of growing hair on Swiss Cheese? :frantic:

20. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Awareness is one-half of what I use to mitigate being a victim. Research is the other half. The combination has worked well for me to mitigate 99.99% of the really "bad things" that can happen to me. It has worked for me EXTREMELY well!

Few things ARE "100% unpredictable." There is much data collected that we can draw upon; some empirical but most are fleeting but equally significant. There will always be that 0.01% unpredictability factor that I CAN and HAVE lived with.

As I stated in my preceding post: Been doing it most of my life and I'm here to tell you that it works. I suspect that all of you posting in this forum have done the same thing.

I remain prepared to address that 0.01% WHEN it happens.