1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Self Defense and Knives: Your View?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by robo-rabbit, Feb 22, 2014.

?

What is your view?

1. Knives are tools, not to be used for self defense

10.9%
  2. Knives are tools that can double for self defense

37.4%
  3. Only used as a last-ditch thing

35.6%
  4. Can be used to deter an attacker

1.7%
  5. Only use the handle for blunt striking

0.6%
  6. Forget it. You won't be able to grab it in time.

5.2%
  7. Other (Please Explain)

8.6%
  1. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

If I'm justified in using a knife, then I'm justified in using my pistol. As far as planned, practiced use of a knife, I feel the only real justification is a knife carried on the offside to be deployed in a handgun retention struggle. Otherwise, its either to much weapon or not enough. If I pull a knife against an unarmed individual (without being already beat down) then I'm going to jail. If the assailant is armed, a knife is enough weapon. Assailant pulls a knife, and you pull a knife, your both getting cut-a lot, and you're going to the hospital at best.

That being said, if I'm somehow in close contact and fighting for my life, I'm going to use anything I can put my hands on. But I'm still not sure If I'd go for my knife before thumbs to the eyeballs, fish hooking him, or biting his ear off. In close quarters that edge can cut anyone, me included.

2. SpyderPrepper

SpyderPrepper Loaded Pockets

I've done training in various martial arts that involve knives, Krav Maga, Escrima,Tae Kwon Do etc. I've been trained in both offensive and defensive knife techniques. Every master I've trained under has told me the same two things about knives and fighting: 1) someone is getting cut 2) the person bleeding the least wins.

If it was life or death, then yeah get stabby! But it would be an absolute last ditch scenario (i.e. i'm going to die) before I drew my knife in defence. Because even though I'm trained, a knife is close quarters, there is a high chance you will get cut by your own knife. I'd rely on my hands before a blade, and if those fail then I'm going to run away screaming at the top of my lungs to attract as much attention as possible, and I'm not remotely ashamed to say that.

3. robo-rabbit

robo-rabbit Loaded Pockets

Good responses so far, thanks! Here is my opinion:

If it is a matter of the wallet, give it to em. I keep extra cash for something like this.

Avoid brawls whenever possible. (Usually Easy). If you cannot avoid, well, kick em hard and get away. Or lock them until the police come. Don't let brawls evolve into life/death situations.

Always be aware. Don't text/read while you are walking, nor listen to music. Don't be afraid to change directions if you gut tells you something is off.

If I am still a target random act of violence (hopefully I will never be), my reaction will depend on what they do. If they have a weapon, I will go unarmed (unless if there is a nice stick or something laying next to me). If its multiple unarmed people, out pops my zebra pen. You would be surprised just how easily the pen can penetrate. That and it has the element of surprise. Of course, I would not only focus on pen strikes though. I do not want to be blinded by a "weapon." My main goal in this situation is survival and escape. I would be using kicks, punches, etc. Whatever it takes.

With that being said, I carry a very small utility knife. Pretty much worthless for stuff like this, unless if I find myself unable to escape a choke hold or other lock, and I don't have my pen. If that is the case, dig on in!

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  4. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Anything you say ( or post) can and will be used against you in a court of law.:)

5. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

I was at that ABBA concert too.:)

6. StAnger665

StAnger665 Loaded Pockets

Im not trying to be smarmy but if multiple people decide to jump you, you'd go for a pen? Why would you choose a pen over knife?

Nighted likes this.
  7. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Personally, I'll go for my pen over a knife any day. A knife is last ditch for me. A pen though, can be used as a fist load, to apply pressure holds, apply pressure to escape holds, and in a last ditch, as a stabbing tool. Most of the knives I carry aren't suitable for stabbing, only slashing anyway. And, if multiple people jump me, eh it's pretty much over anyway. The plan though, would be to take whoever was standing farthest away from his buddies, knock him to the ground, and create a hole to run away. In that case, a solid pen to a pressure point would be more effective than a slash from a knife.

vegassprky and robo-rabbit like this.
  8. mafan

mafan Loaded Pockets

I tend to have an oversimplified view ...

1. Having one and not needing it is 10x better than needing one and not having it

2. Many people think "knife fighting" when they think of knife in self defense. Think more basic and more probable... This is especially true if you happen to be smaller than your assailant... If you are grabbed, pinned up against a wall or on your back with someone on/over you. A knife can be an equalizer that can differentiate between you getting out of that situation or not

3. Deploying a knife in defense is not about brandishing it or using it at a distance ... If you have distance (even if it is 6 feet)... Run. It is all about creating opportunities to remove yourself from the situation.

4. If someone attacks/grabs you AND you feel that your life is threatened AND you have no more realistic option to remove yourself, then and only then should you deploy a knife/tool to defend yourself. There are super simple techniques that can be used that don't require a ton of skill but do require a committed mindset and the justification

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have no training and it seems like a bloody gore massacre. Yuck. I guess last ditch. I'd prefer a bar stool.

10. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

Oh, this thread should be intere-
    [​IMG]

Y'all are too tough for me. Good luck walking around with those things clanging back and forth.

11. vinniec5

vinniec5 Loaded Pockets

Where ya going Water-Rat, Newark? If you've never been to the Federal Courthouse it's nothing like County. Nice place to serve especially if you serve in there and not across the street in the old building (Post Office) Great cafeteria next door in the Federal Building, Coffee at T.M. Wards or lunch at Hobby's deli.

Cobra 6 Actual and Water-Rat like this.
  12. Al Effendi

Al Effendi Loaded Pockets

My father was a Kyokushin sensei, as was I for years. He learned in Asia, where black belts are actually harder to obtain than a soda. It's a brutal art, with many killing blows that we practiced on bags, boards, and bricks (and none of those bogus dried out bricks or cheating spacers like everyone uses now). We were poor, and lived first in a neighborhood rife with drugs and violence, and then to a street a little up the economic ladder, but where racism created near-constant tension and conflict as neighbors feared the very existence of a mixed-race family.

The realization at an early age that, where I to get in a fight with any of the kids around me, I could easily defeat them or even kill them, shaved my beliefs. As an adult I have always felt that violence is never an acceptable solution to conflict, and that anyone who carries violence or objects of violence with them will eventually become a victim of that which they carry. That, or they will hurt or kill others, which to me is worse.

The best defense is knowing what your fears are, and working to overcome them.

My knives are tools. I would not use one on another human unless it was for emergency first aid.

--Al

J_C, bpeezer, Soosh and 1 other person like this.
  13. Koto

Koto Loaded Pockets

I've taken self defense classes and hold a purple belt in karate. They always said if faced with a knife just run and try to find a cop/populated area asap. It is ridiculous how many times you can get stabbed in a few seconds and bleed out. NEVER try to disarm someone who already has a knife out. Wear a white shirt and have a friend with a red marker try to "stab" you and try to get the knife away, the results will speak for themselves.

If its 1v1 know the main three weak spots, groin, throat and eyes. Some guy grabs me I won't hesitate for a second to throw my whole shin into his jewels as many times as possible. If you're in a grapple/floor situation throat grabs and eye slashes are insanely effective if you can't land a groin shot. At the end of the day it's you vs the other guy, I don't care how lame a groin shot sounds, I'm too good looking for a black eye.

The only time I'd ever take out my knife is if I'm put in a corner against more than 1 guy and I know my wellbeing is in definite danger. I've trained in how to take a gun away in pointblank range and it's way easier to get a gun away from some thug than a knife but again you NEED the training and do it over and over for months. 99% of the time if you're getting robbed at gunpoint just give the guy what he wants. If you don't have the slighted clue how to take away that gun just give him your stash and talk about your family, your little girl, that you don't make a lot take what you have etc etc. Talking to the person and having them realize you are another loving human being will hopefully make the already stressed person robbing you less likely to shoot you if the idea passed their mind.

Bottom line is go take some real self defense classes. Best one out there hands down is Krav Maga (Isreali military training). Martial arts (Karate, Taekwondo, KungFu) are fun but won't really teach you anything about street fighting. You're not going to throw a roundhouse kick on the street or flying knee in a bar. Get the guy down fast and effectively so when his friend comes to back him up you're not open to get stomped out. If there isn't Krav Maga in your area your local police dept or YMCA might have self defense classes. If not that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Muy Thai are your next bet.

This all of course should be used after trying to talk down a situation and seem like too nice of a person for the aggressor to escalate the situation. Go the Irish way and after you both settled down get a drink together. Hope this info helped!

Last edited by Koto, Feb 23, 2014
  14. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

Here is my two cents, feel free to disagree or agree...
    I feel like knives are tools first and foremost. There is no way getting around that. Usually we EDC knives for task that require cutting. I'm hoping no one EDCs a knife just for self defense only, you're doing it all wrong. You can bet, if I get attacked and there is no way to escape, I'm using everything against this person. It might be a knife, it might be my size 11 shoe. It does help to have some knowledge of self defense, but your ideal "tactic" is to run the other way and avoid the whole thing. I'd hate to get blood on my favorite shirt ;)

Cobra 6 Actual, Water-Rat and Koto like this.
  15. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

Those of us who are real men here on these boards don't need firearms, tasers, or any of those silly things. We don't even need very large knives. We defend ourselves with bright colored Victorinox Classics and nothing more. And better yet, we fight with the scissors in favor of the knife. What's a fight without a little challenge?

My serious answer: Last ditch option, but even then you PROBABLY won't be able to access your blade quickly enough unless you specifically have a knife chosen for quick deployment. A fixed blade on the hip for weapon retention could be drawn about as quickly as a firearm from a good holster, but I sure as heck don't carry one. I don't consider a knife a good self defense tool. If you need to defend yourself from lethal force, you should have a firearm if you can own one legally. If you are dealing with non-lethal force, you sure as heck shouldn't be drawing a blade. Both escape and hand to hand should come into play before that happens. If you're able to legally carry a knife, but not a firearm, and you need to defend yourself from lethal first and escape is not feasible, then try to get your blade out - But know that you're probably SOL.

16. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

not you in particular but as i said before a lot of people are confused on the purpose of a knife...it is a tool...it has one purpose..to cut...sometimes the shape of the blade determines what you cut but originally a knife was used first and foremost to either secure your dinner or secure your life which 10,000 years ago may have been the same thing...a soldier uses a knife to cut the enemies throat...a doctor uses a knife to cut out bad tissue...a chef uses a knife to cut food items..only modern man wants to see a difference in these examples when the fact is that you are using the same basic tool to accomplish the same basic task...to cut..

17. doby34

doby34 Loaded Pockets

To my way of thinking, to pull a knife in an altercation is to intend to kill. Would you if you HAD to protect your life, or your kids? ABSOLUTELY . But it's not something you ever want to do. One big problem with a knife as self defense is that your attacker may still be quite able to damage you long after you've done enough damage to kill them. I'm not qualified to have an opinion on the use of a knife for handgun retention.

robo-rabbit and LustrousaurusRex like this.
  18. rsitter

rsitter EDC Junkie!!!!!

i chose both.... a tool, that can be used....

like a hammer.....i dont walk around with a hammer in my belt loop expecting to bust heads with it, but i sure as hell will if it comes to it.

vegassprky likes this.
  19. Freman

Freman Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't regard my EDC Kudu as a weapon. Technically it could be used for such, it is long and sharp (I'm going to get an Eland when they come out) but the best use is for cutting fruit, slicing cord and generally anything that needs more cutting than my Victorinox Mini-Champ can provide (seriously, if you don't have a Mini-Champ get one, they're great).

bpeezer and vegassprky like this.