1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Self Defense and Knives: Your View?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by robo-rabbit, Feb 22, 2014.

?

What is your view?

1. Knives are tools, not to be used for self defense

10.9%
  2. Knives are tools that can double for self defense

37.4%
  3. Only used as a last-ditch thing

35.6%
  4. Can be used to deter an attacker

1.7%
  5. Only use the handle for blunt striking

0.6%
  6. Forget it. You won't be able to grab it in time.

5.2%
  7. Other (Please Explain)

8.6%
  1. bpeezer

bpeezer Loaded Pockets

For ME, the knife is nothing more than a tool. Well, actually it's as much a toy as it is a tool ;) I have trained to use a knife as a weapon, but I have trained for much longer with empty hand techniques. I feel more confident defending myself when I have two free hands to work with. Plus, if I use one of my expensive knives against a person it will get confiscated :eek:

Gallows and TDS like this.
  2. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Completely last ditch. As in, you're going to die, or they will be hurting your family, etc. Otherwise, talk yourself and/or RUN away....

Gallows, MrOG and TDS like this.
  3. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

If you AVOID the circumstance altogether, you will likely NOT need to run away...

Gallows likes this.
  4. Alwayscarryaknife

Alwayscarryaknife Loaded Pockets

This is how I feel as well. Of coarse a gun would be my first choice (only if absolutely necessary) but I'd feel better with my hand free to use in defense. I'm a former wrestler (not WWF) so I feel pretty comfortable using what god gave me.

Gallows, bpeezer and TDS like this.
  5. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

i am a free man..i will go where i want when i want...if the best ribs are in the worst part of town and i want ribs for dinner i am going to go get ribs...if i have to leave someone else's ribs on the sidewalk because they didn't like my looks or wanted my wallet then stupid is as stupid does...

Gallows likes this.
  6. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I believe in self defense in layers.

1st layer: Brain (this determines which of the following layers is the most applicable to my situation)
    Next layer: Distance
    Next layer: Gun
    Next layer: Knife
    Next layer: Hands
    Next layer: Whatever is close by

7. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

If I wished to placate my culinary desires with cuisine from a less-than desirable part of town, I'll have it DELIVERED to MY part of own. I'll leave it to those with the need to exhibit bravado to underscore their freedom by engaging in superficial acts of aggression only to suffer resulting prosecution that would ultimately undermine those same freedoms.

Gallows, JustinJ and gdwtvb like this.
  8. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

This reasoning is flawed. Avoiding negative circumstances would mean literal hermitage and avoiding people altogether.. Human interaction often results in conflict. Dealing with it like an adult and knowing when to leave is the best result.

But I'm not an escapist. More of a realist.

Gallows, Corgi and ssmtbracer like this.
  9. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

For me a knife is a tool only. Most of my everyday carry knives are slipjoints or very small locking folders that wouldn't do much anyway. That said, if you come after me I'm going to use everything I have to make sure I go home alive.

Gallows likes this.
  10. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

a...i don't live in an area where i am going to be prosecuted for defending my life and my property...

b...many of the places i enjoy visiting are in a bad part of town and they don't deliver more than 5 miles if they deliver at all...

c...try catching the hottest new musical act in town from your couch...

Gallows and Nighted like this.
  11. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

^This. Common sense...the best weapon.

I voted other. Knives are tool and most can be used for self defense, but many are designed expressly for self defense.
    I carry knives for specific tasks. A slipjoint for finer work, a folder for larger work, a serrated for utility work, and a knife designed as a weapon for a weapon.
    Sure, I could use my ALOX as a weapon, technically 'doubling' as a weapon, and I could use my Spyderco Matriarch 2 to open water heater boxes. But if I was willing to use the wrong tool for the job then why not just carry the ALOX?

Theres something to be said for having the right tool for the job. I've learned that by now, I think. I can't tell you haw many nails I've bent over hammering them in with Channel Locks, or how many pairs of Channel Locks that have failed me because I use them to check wires for current or hold materials that I am heating with a torch. Knives require more maintenance than a pair of Channel Locks so I tend to use them for their specifically designated tasks

So yes, tools can serve as weapons, but so can weapons serve as tools.
    Also, they can be last ditch weapons, since logically you don't want a fight to be in close quarters, and they can be used for a deterrent. Every situation is going to be different. So your either prepared or your not.

Also, to address the later of the poll options, yes, its possibly that you wont be able to reach it in time, but there are times that you use common sense and have it in your hand at the ready. Every situation is different.

Also...never bring a knife to a gunfight...but never bring a gun only ;)

Gallows, vegassprky and T.H.Cone like this.
  12. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I prefer my Surefire E2D Ultra and like OdBm said keep a lot of REAL ESTATE between you and the trouble. Also it takes a lot of balls to kill someone if you can pull your knife or gun using it is something different and if you do have time to pull them out you may be able to avoid it all together. But I understand that is not always the case. Also the after math is what is the big problem plan on having lot of $$$$$ set aside for legal fees.

Gallows and thePlumbah like this.
  13. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I just avoid the less-desirable aspects. One cannot completely limit oneself from encountering negative circumstances; however, one can greatly reduce being a victim of the more serious elements by planning carefully so that we don't reach the point where we need to leave.

Last edited by 0dBm, Feb 22, 2014
    Gallows likes this.
  14. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

A knife is a tool that makes a decent stealth weapon for the skilled. It is a poor self-defense weapon against an armed or multiple attackers. It is better than nothing, however, and my be actually useful against the unskilled or easily intimidated attacker.

15. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I hope you're right about that, unfortunately there are a lot of D.A.'s that think if you are attacked and there are no cops around it's your civic duty
    to lay down and die.

It's hard to avoid random acts of violence, they're... well, random.

I have no training as to using a knife in self-defense, and try to keep a firearm in reach whenever possible, but if I only have a knife, well, what's that
    old saying... if the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail...

16. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I live in an area where I haven't needed, so far, to defend my life or property. I avoid the places that MAY invariably force me to defend my life. If the element comes to where I live so that I NEED to defend my life, I shall; without hesitation. If the prospect that I may NEED to defend my property develops, I have chosen poorly and I will greatly consider moving to more desirable pastures. So far, I have chosen adequately because I have not needed to move.

We all have choices and if those involve incurring the risk of bodily harm to visit them, we are free to make that decision. It doesn't get any meaner than the streets of a neighboring city next to where I reside, and there are many interesting places nestled within its confines; however, NONE of them would greatly compel ME to explore them much more so than merely reading about them because there are equally-noteworthy attractions in less-iniquitous locales.

Speaking of musical acts, I recently attended a concert by one of the biggest groups ever! They began playing in that large city that described. I didn't go to that venue. I waited until they visited the much-smaller city in which I reside because of the much-lower criminal activity in the area.

Gallows likes this.
  17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Quite true; unfortunately! They can occur ANYWHERE; however, one can conduct ample research about where these acts have historically occurred and avoid those places. I did just that when I made the decision to reside in my current domicile. I hope that all of us have had the common sense to have done some perfunctory "looking' around some" before deciding to plant stakes there.

Gallows likes this.
  18. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

i am sure that the people who still live in detroit thought they were living in a good locale as well but those that had the means have long ago left and now the city is in bankruptcy...that leaves the good people still in detroit with a choice...you can venture out into world and take your chances or you can stay in your house and wait for a home invasion to occur...

courage is the conquering of fear not the absence of it...if you avoid going to certain parts of town because you fear what might happen you have already lost your sense of security...

every ocean has sharks and jelly fish but i am not going to stop swimming in them...

19. Iragon

Iragon Loaded Pockets

for self defense, i prefer use a flashlight, when you can't carry a gun. knife required too much training witch most people dont have, and i think its just gonna make a mess and get you in troubles.

a proper flashlight with like 400 lumans directly into human's eyes, can buy you a long time to get out the situation.

Gallows, znapschatz and TDS like this.
  20. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

You can't always avoid undesirable cities. Next month I have federal jury duty in one of the most dangerous cities in America. Needless to say, I won't be carrying any sharps with me (you can't even bring scissors:mad:).

Gallows and vinniec5 like this.