1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Seiko SKX007/009 Questions!

Discussion in 'Watches' started by D.Car, Jan 5, 2014.

1. D.Car

D.Car Loaded Pockets

I've been itching for a nice everyday/dressy watch and am thinking of picking this one up. From what i read on the forums you could swap the bezels? If i can it will make my decision on which one to get a bit easier. Right now im torn between the all black bezel, the black and red bezel or the 009 with the blue and red bezel. Any imput would be great!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

I started out with the SKX009 because I liked the red & blue Pepsi bezel. Then, I got the SKX007. Eventually, I changed the bezel insert on the SKX009 to a S-5 Sports rally and the SKX007 to a green sub. The possibilities are endless. You may want to end up getting both watches. Good luck.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Fukurai likes this.
  3. Soosh

Soosh Loaded Pockets

Blue and red is festive, but the black one is more versatile, dress-wise.

I wish I had kept mine, but I already had a more expensive black diver and just couldn't justify keeping two.

madeofducktape likes this.
  4. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Ok, a few things:

You don't want/need to swap bezels, just bezel inserts -- the "printed" part is actually a thin bit of metal and separate from the bezel itself. That being said, you almost always need to remove the bezel to swap the insert -- win some, lose some.

The 007 and 009 are the same watch with differences only in dial color and bezel insert color.
    The 007 has a black dial, and black and silver insert
    The 009 has a dark blue dial (mostly looks black in pictures, trust me on this and poke around a bit), and a blue and red "pepsi" insert.

To my knowledge, there is no stock black and red bezel in the SKX line, your top shot might be an SKX009 or a 007 with an 009 bezel, either with less than ideal lighting. Or it may be one of Noah's "Coke" Bezels.

There are a few very good after market part makers/vendors for seiko divers, as well as some good installers, I'll be happy to put you in touch with whomever.

That being said, the less you have to change the better, and modding tends to kill resale, if that is a concern.

The 007 is a tremendously versatile, everyday watch as it is, looks good on steel, rubber, or natos, and has a place in most any collection. Though less versatile, all of the rest of that is true of the 009. They are not, however, at all a dressy watch. Divers aren't dressy as a whole, nor are steel bands, but the SKX series as a whole and these models in particular have a squarishness to the bezel, which, standing off of the "turtle" case accentuate the thickness of the watch and really kill any dressiness. It's particularly interesting to me because, in addition to a 007 I have a similar SARB that uses the same case, but with a different bezel and it gives a different look altogether.

Ugly and D.Car like this.
  5. Josh

Josh Loaded Pockets

I agree it is not really a dressy watch, but I would say it is a classy looking watch. I have both a 007 and a 009 and they are my favorites by far. I wear them more than my Rolex.

Fukurai likes this.
  6. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Dressy enough for me!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fukurai, TARFU, Hartigan and 3 others like this.
  7. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

I probably should have distinguished between "dressy" and "dress". Certainly didn't mean to upset anyone.

The 007 is, after all, sometimes cited as a poor man's Rolex, or poor man's bond. Both for the model number and for its resemblance to the Rolex submariner Connery wears in a batch of the movies. Many (myself included) pick up a black/ grey striped NATO for them for that reason.

Southpaw, a left wearing leftie?

Southpaw and D.Car like this.
  8. D.Car

D.Car Loaded Pockets

Thank you for all the information on it great help. Didn't realize that you swap the inserts vs the bezel itself.

I guess "Dressy" was the wrong term. I like the watch because i can wear it to work and when im off and it looks good either way. Where as my Bullova (cant remember model name and currently not wearing it) looks out of place when I'm out for drinks.

That looks perfect. I just have to decide wich one i want now.

Oh and Southpaw your thread on this watch is what sold me on it BTW.

Southpaw likes this.
  9. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yes sir lefty wearing it lefty. Definitely helps having the crown at 4oclock so it doesn't jam on my hand :)

Awesome man good to know. I don't know any other watch that can literally rock any strap and have it look that good. I know we talk about its looks all the time but let's not forget it has a workhorse movement that can last a man for years, and if you're lucky, can last you over 20 years.

There's nothing to take away from a submariner or speedmaster (my grail watch for a long time but thinking of not getting it anymore bc of my seiko, I know I'm crazy) those are fantastic truly timeless timepieces, but for a couple of thousand dollar watches, if be scared to get mugged or get scratches on them. But with the 007, fire away. Worst comes to worst, it's kind of a lot easier to replace a 007 with another 007 as supposed to a submariner with another submariner :)

Fukurai likes this.
  10. D.Car

D.Car Loaded Pockets

I was thinking the same thing about Southpaw. :D

Southpaw likes this.
  11. D.Car

D.Car Loaded Pockets

I will agree for the swapping out of the watches. My grail, like many of you, is the omega seamaster and the 007 looks very similar to it and a lot better price wise.

Southpaw likes this.
  12. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Me too, I wear my watch on my left hand and Im a lefty .... Im definitely looking at the 007

Southpaw likes this.
  13. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

Guys - you can get scratch protectors for the faces that fit perfectly and prevent gouges on the mineral glass. I got a six pack from MyTuffStuff and they work great. I had gouged my SKX009 before finding out about them and got them and put one on my SKX173 before I would even wear it.

EXCALIBUR and Southpaw like this.
  14. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

It's a great wrist watch. You really can't go wrong with one of these. I have a few myself. Yobokies, Honk Kong Watchman, has all sorts of custom parts for the 007. He's an awesome guy to deal with.

Southpaw likes this.
  15. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Right wearing righty, myself. :p

Southpaw likes this.
  16. D.Car

D.Car Loaded Pockets

So I never updated everyone my watch comes in today!!! so excited. I got the 007 :D

Fukurai likes this.
  17. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pic or it never happened !

antman157 likes this.
  18. D.Car

D.Car Loaded Pockets

Well it was supposed to come in yesterday, but it was shipped USPS. Which always takes longer then it expected. According to the tracker its was in my town as of 12 am. So as soon as its in i will post :D I also have some other goodies to post as well!

19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Dressy?... The 007/009 is the definition of a tool diver. Though the 007 is just a bit dressy if you're comparing it to the 009.

Literally the only difference between the two are the bezels. So yes, they are interchangeable. But you can't just swap them out on the spot since they're not designed to pop on and off easily.

If you want to dress one up a bit, a nice black leather aftermarket strap on the 007 is the best way to go. If you need a watch that actually blends in when it comes to even slightly more formal occasions, the 007 won't pull it off.

If in doubt, get the 007. The 009 is far more casual. Be aware that as time goes by and the bezel very slowly fades, the red portion of the 009's bezel will look hot pink.

20. D.Car

D.Car Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Love the watch. My none lume pic looked crappy so I had to go with this one. Thanks for all the advice. I love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Fukurai and Nick4305 like this.