1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Seiko Monster or Luminox?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Eyebedam, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Six String

Six String Loaded Pockets

T-25 and T100 tubes use radioactive gas to generate luminosity. No batteries required. Steady glow with a half life of about 12 years, so they will eventually dim and burn out. I've seen T-25, not very bright. T-100 is much brighter but I haven't seen it in person.

The other primary illumination source is Superluminova. It comes in colors with C-3 being the brightest. However, C-3 appears slightly green under normal lighting. C-1 is whiter in daylight but doesn't glow as brightly. All Superluminova requires a "charge" from a bright light to glow.

I have a watch with T-25 tubes. Turn out the lights and I can't see the glow until my eyes adjust to the dark. I also have several watches with Superluminova. Very bright at first but they dim markedly within 15 minutes. As will the Lum-Tec.

After about 8 hours, a watch with a generous application of good quality Superluminova will glow about the same as a T-25 tube, based on my experience. After that, the tube will be brighter.

Brightest watch I ever had was a pilot watch by Debaufre. Had C-3 Superluminova. Excellent watch, too. Brightest watch I've ever seen is Panerai. Also, Superluminova but amazing glow.

I can post pics if you're interested but it's all relative.

2. SharpScott

SharpScott Loaded Pockets

It's definately rumoured to be 4Rxx based, but I don't think it'll be the 4R15 as it lacks DAY/DATE. I think 4R36 is far more likely.

Enjoy:
    [​IMG]

(Image is not mine)

Scott.

herosemblem and antonic like this.
  3. Gotitonme

Gotitonme Loaded Pockets

Here's a couple quick and dirty lime shots from my IPhone... From left top to right then lower left to right. Seiko Orange Monster. Seiko White Stargate, Seiko SKX007, then Deep Blue Daynight OPs with T100 tritium tubes, Truglo with T25 tubes, Orient 40th Ann., Orient Mako.
    The first shot us a few minutes after charging with light for a few seconds. The second pic is in darkness a few minutes after that.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Eyebedam

Eyebedam Loaded Pockets

WOW!!! Thank you for the awesome pics. Def sheds some light on the subject. These are exactly the type of pics I was wanting to see, & just another reason why this is 1 of my favorite forums on the web.

5. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

The pics dont really do tritium justice as it is a constant dim glow compared to one that fades.

6. chrischoi

chrischoi Loaded Pockets

I have this little baddie coming to me. I should be picking it up at the Post Office first thing in the morning. I have a incompetent mail woman. I'm not saying anything bad about woman. I'm saying my mail lady is something else...

[​IMG]

We'll compare this to the OM and the SnowMod. I think that the OM lume may just be brighter.

7. antonic

antonic Loaded Pockets

^^^ It looks huge. Please show side to side pix with the Monsters if possible. Thanks.

8. chrischoi

chrischoi Loaded Pockets

9. Eyebedam

Eyebedam Loaded Pockets

^^^^^Very sweet. So what has the brightest lume?

10. Six String

IMO, Panerai. A base model is just under $5k if you shop around. A close second is an IWC AT 2000. However, they're in the $4k range. Mine, with a full charge, is pictured below. It's not as bright as the pic after 8 hours but still very bright and easily readable.

I used to have a Sinn U1 and a Debaufre Pilot watch. Both had excellent lume.

I don't have a Lum-Tec or a Seiko Monster but I'm very active on a number of watch forums and my opinion is they both are in the same league as the ones I've mentioned.

[​IMG]

11. chrischoi

chrischoi Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

I don't know about the rest of you but I don't know about dumping 5k into a watch over lume. I'm not that ballin'. Lol. My phone camera sucks. I'm sure you could play with settings on an actual phone and leave the shutter open longer and stuff.

Sent from my SGH-T989

12. Six String

Obviously, you can buy a watch that tells time and can be read in the dark for $25.00 or less. And a Mossberg shotgun goes boom just like a Purdey one does.

13. Eyebedam

Eyebedam Loaded Pockets

5000.00 comes down to quality & personal choice. If you can afford it I say go for it. I think the top pics is awesome myself. Totally pimp, I could never afford that but for those who can kudos to you. It all boils down to what your really into. Sweet watch nonetheless. Some really bright Lum just makes it even better.

Six String likes this.
  14. antonic

antonic Loaded Pockets

So which one stays on your wrist the longest?

15. Six String

OK, I know how my posts may make me sound. My point was, a Lum-Tec and Seiko are excellent watches. They are accurate, have outstanding fit and finish and have world-class lume. They are rightfully included in same class as watches costing much more.

It's funny, in the watch forums I hang out in, I'm the poorest kid on the block. I don't mean to come across as a watch snob here. Try hanging out with people with APs, Pateks and A. Lange & Sohnes. LOL

PS I don't know how this thread became all about lume. It's arguably the least important aspect of a watch. My favorite watch (that I own) doesn't even have any lume. My grail watch doesn't either come to think of it.

Last edited by Six String, Apr 18, 2012
  16. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

^^ yeah most of us carry tiny flashlights anyway :)

and strangely - the #1 thing i like about my nicest watch, a gold/ss omega - is the way it shimmers in the moon light. it looks AMAZING at night. I'm not talking about the lume....

Six String likes this.
  17. chrischoi

chrischoi Loaded Pockets

I don't have an accurate way... but it seems to me the LUM-TEC. I didn't really have a great way of charging them either. I'd be able to give a more accurate answer if I was able to leave the case in sunlight for a day. What I saw was the LUM-TEC seemed brightest... but it could have been because the numbers are larger. A lot of people on some other forums swear by the Seiko's legendary lume... in it's price point that is. Maybe it's the mental thought of the LZ3 being 3.5 times more than the Monster.

I know this is probably the most hated answer... but I cycle through them. LUM-TEC has had the least wrist time. Just got it the other day.
    Citizen Ecozilla has the least wrist time. I don't like the way the strap is so stiff. Getting around to buying some Suppa Adapters and a bracelet...
    The Casio G-Shock MTG-1000 had the most wrist time. I've had that since 2009 or so. Wore it every day. Everything before that is gone. February 2012 came around and I went crazy. I had this thought in my head... need "one more" watch. Then need "a" OtterBox. Then "need" to fill the OtterBox.
    Within 2 weeks, I acquired the Casio G-Shock MISG Riseman, OM, SnowMonster Mod and Ecozilla.
    I chose the MISG Riseman and the Ecozilla since they were limited and or discontinued.
    OM just seemed like the classic affordable everyone raved about. I had the SnowMonster Mod made since there weren't many around. I might just get one more and just assign days. Lol.

Not at all. I was just saying I'm not as ballin' as you. :) I guess the lume came about since Seiko and Luminox are good with it for the price. They seem to attract the masses. Those Fossil kids... I like to show them my watches.
    I hang around watchuseek a bit and I just drool some days. I don't go to the high end forums. :(

Something like this makes me leak a little. ;)

[​IMG]

Six String likes this.
  18. quantex

quantex Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]. Enough said.

19. Eyebedam

Eyebedam Loaded Pockets

Dammit that looks so good. I really need someone to buy my Ray Bans