1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Seeking: Simple, Clean Analog Face with Alarm. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Bolster, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

I am often asked to present in public. I need a watch with a simple, uncluttered face, but with an alarm. Low profile. The alarm needs to be a hand on the watch that I can set (not a separate dial). The important thing is for me to very quickly check the distance remaining between the minute hand and the alarm hand. That helps me lengthen or shorten my talk as needed, to match the assigned time. Needs to be uncluttered otherwise. Ideas? Best I've seen is the old Momentum Pathfinder I which is long out of prodution. Thanks!

PS: If someone sold a simple, uncluttered analog stopwatch, or countdown watch, that would work too. But it would have to be; analog, not digital.

Last edited by Bolster, Dec 2, 2017
    #1 Bolster, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  2. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

This is the sort of watch I'm asking about; this is the decade old Momentum Pathfinder I, long out of production. But you can see how simple it is. Yeah, I can watch ebay for used, I know, but surely someone must make a new simple-face alarm analog?

[Photobucket doesn't allow me to post anymore. Will try again with another provider. Meantime try this link http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Zonjo9xaL.jpg ]

Last edited by Bolster, Dec 3, 2017
    #2 Bolster, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  3. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

4. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

Would using a spinning bezel with markings on it work too, or do you need the audible end of the alarm as well? Back in the desert I used my marathon gsar's bezel much in the same way - took a second to do the math sometimes, but I'd punch the arrow at the top to wherever the minute hand would be at the desired "alarm" time - if tracking a 40 minute period of time, I'd spin the bezel till the arrow was time + 40 and that'd give me a visual via the minute hand of how close the end time was.

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Seems to me you're describing the bezel found on most diver or diver 'style' watches...

For the OP, watches with such bezels are available in either quartz or automatic styles, in a range of budget figures, from many manufacturers. Without going too extreme in either direction for budget for example, Seiko, Casio, and Citizen all make suitable watches if the bezel design will work for him.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

6. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

Absolutely, I am! I know it's not a traditional alarm, but the mention of wanting something like an extra minute hand pointed me to that - that's exactly what the bezel is like.

7. davidnl

davidnl Loaded Pockets

An older Expedition[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

8. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the Timex Easy Set suggestion. That would work. I'll see if I can find one. Many thanks.

Since I'm using the alarm "hand" as a marker for the minute hand, I'm not actually having the alarm ring when the presentation's done. Plus, an abrupt signal to end is awful for the presentation; it's like chopping off an arm to make the shirt sleeve fit.

There is a rare type of rotating bezel known as the "Countdown Bezel," where the bezel numbering is reversed from a dive watch. Man, that would be flat out ideal. It would quickly tell you how many minutes before you must sit down. Awesome. And, apparently as rare and expensive as hen's teeth. Google "Sinn Wenger Tutima Countdown". But check those fancy prices!! I'd have to save awhile before I could spring for one of those. If any of you know of a countdown bezel watch that is $200 range or less, please let me know.

9. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

Oh, forgot to add. The absolutely perfect wrist count-down timer is made by Heuer. Google the "Heuer Yacht Timer". "Only" $5-600 used. But it would not do double duty as a watch. And it's a little overkill, as I seldom do a 5-hour presentation...!

10. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

12. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Sailing watches usually have countdown timers and alarms. They also often have many many other options so the might be too cluttered for your liking.

Casio also makes countdown watches, check out the Edifice line for example.

13. mbick

mbick Loaded Pockets

Thank you, Bolster, for your post, and thank you, Omega Man and davidnl, for your responses. I owned that watch in the past and loved it.
    Of course, I have a new one incoming thanks to all of you reminding me of it.

14. Bolster

Bolster Loaded Pockets

You folks have been very helpful with this search for an unusual watch, thanks.

You've gotten me to thinking that a countdown bezel is probably a better technology than an alarm hand for my purpose. I can't *find* a countdown bezel with a simple uncluttered face for less than $300 but I'll keep looking.

If I just can't find an analog watch to do countdown duty, I may have to go back to digital, as virtually every digital watch will do a countdown timer in digits, but digits oddly do not translate as easily into time remaining while speaking. Seeing a decreasing wedge between minute hand and "stop" point has instant meaning and requires almost no thought; a display reading 0:17:56:32 does not have instant meaning even though a little rounding translates that to "almost 18 minutes." Maybe there is a digital analog countdown watch? Ie, a digital watch with hands?

(PS: I did buy the Timex Easy Set. It fit the requirements I asked for and was a screaming deal at $30, but I had issue with how very heavy and tall off the wrist the watch was, so returned it since I know I would always fidget with a watch of that much presence. Still, thankful for the tip.)