1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Security/Privacy concerns?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by AbbyJ504, Feb 11, 2017.

1. AbbyJ504

AbbyJ504 Empty Pockets

I may be a nut, but do any of you have any security or privacy concerns when out with your phones and other electronics? I am always worried about someone hacking into my phone and always looking for the best way to protect myself.

2. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Nothing is secure or private unless you have red phone encryption. That's the phone used for high level govt conversations. It may not be red but it was in the movie.

SlyFerret likes this.
  3. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I encrypt all my phones in case the phone is lost or stolen. I don't worry about hacking since the data can always be intercepted and has probably been intercepted in the US, China, Japan, UK, Germany, Israel and Russia. All of these countries are more than capable of intercepting cell data. Most of these countries except for the US have no qualms about profiling the inbound passengers. My friend with an Arabic name is always asked more questions when he travels to Europe than I am asked. We work for the same company.

4. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

Some people hack themselves, installing whatever apps sound fun at a whim, without regard to the permissions said app is requesting!

You can encrypt the phone, depending on model of course, and be mindful of using public wifi for much other than streaming music. Phone is more likely to be physically stolen than hacked into. Encryption makes it more problematic to do anything with the stolen phone except part it out.

As for the privacy concerns, a lot of people give out information which used to be considered private in exchange for access to social platforms or free games. Even post video of their antics on public networks to make law enforcement's job much easier.

You could consider using a VPN service without paying (so there's no credit card transaction to tie back) but if the phone is already registered, well. How far do you want to worry?

(This is just my rambling opinion. Feel free to disagree.)

Dr Jekell likes this.
  5. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Social media and apps should be a bigger privacy concern. One of my complaints with my old Samsung S5 was the inability to restrict app access when the app was not being used. Beacons are used in loyalty apps.

I encrypt my phone since I actually do some mobile banking. When possible, I use 2 factor authentication.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. AbbyJ504

AbbyJ504 Empty Pockets

Thanks everyone! I am always careful to avoid public networks when possible and avoid giving out too much info. I am also very careful about what I download on my phone. Someone mentioned a VPN and not paying for one, though I know that I saw somewhere that free VPNs aren't always as secure (not sure where as I was doing a lot of research on them). I did come across this though: https://securethoughts.com/vpn-review/ and it seems like a decent deal, though I may do more research. If anyone here does use a VPN that they pay for can you let me know what you think? I do have one credit card that I use only online with a low limit so I know I won't be out a ton of money if my accounts are hacked (I love Amazon, what can I say), but other than that I think I am doing everything else that was mentioned. I am glad I don't have to worry too much! Thanks again everyone.

7. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Can you install the TOR browser on a phone; I have it on my computer but don't use it.
    I don't care if "they" know what I'm saying.

8. Joshetect

Joshetect Loaded Pockets

Check and make sure you are covered with your financial institutions. I only use Credit Cards or paypal (using a credit card) buying online. This way my bank info is being used as little as possible. I've had a debit number stollen and that sucked, no big deal when they get the CC.

You can look into getting a firewall (hardware), but setup can be cumbersome and you'll have to setup for any programs that need access (like webcams)

It really comes down to a matter of security vs convenience. Do you want a password you can remember or do you want J*\M3#514}[x16$`~. Do you want your browser to remember everywhere you have been and your passwords, or do you want to have to remember for yourself. Do you want people to know whats going on in your life via FB or just do it all in person.

9. Joshetect

Joshetect Loaded Pockets

A few tips that i've been using

-NEVER click a link in an email to your financial institution, always go directly to the site typing it into the browser
    -Use different passwords for financial stuff vs other sites. I use at least 3. Banks, Stores and other sites.
    -For security questions, LIE. Just make sure you remember, I use a friends info lol (best lies are ones that are also true)
    -I use a dedicated computer for banking, taxes and saving personal info. Nothing else.
    -Use two step verification as much as possible

mbick and Moshe ben David like this.
  10. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Amen. I try to be security conscious without being paranoid. I only have a few, well-known apps that I installed on my phone. Every one of them requested WAY more access to resources than I would have deemed prudent. I wish that it were possible to agree to only allow access to certain resources and live with the limited functionality.

Examples: Why does the Pandora music service need access to my photos? Why does the Opera browser need access to my messages? Why did the "free" app for my local public radio station require a payment source?

Last edited by Blackheart, Feb 13, 2017
    #10 Blackheart, Feb 13, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
    Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

The only real way is to not have a smart phone, and then only talk about non sensitive information when using it. Just about any app on your smart phone is already giving out data about you.

12. AbbyJ504

AbbyJ504 Empty Pockets

Thanks everyone! I will make sure to keep these things in mind. I do have a dedicated credit card that I use online, as I don't want my debit card to be stolen. My husband had that happen and he wasn't using in online! It wasn't fun as we were out $900 for about a week before we got it taken care of. I will be sure to keep all these things in mind when using my phone though, I agree, I don't really understand why certain apps need access to my photos and what not.

13. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

/ \ why use a debit card? I get after my spouse for a preference of a debit card over a credit card, as the credit card issuer bears much more of the responsibility in the U.S. In cases of fraud.

As for smartphones, assume they are compromised before you buy them. Adding more apps just increases the exposure.

14. AbbyJ504

AbbyJ504 Empty Pockets

@HardToHandle It's just more convenient for me to use a debit card versus a credit card as there is no limit (other than what I have in the bank). I deal with a credit union, not a large bank, so when dealing with discrepancies they are amazing and I usually have the issue resolve within 1-2 business days. (The above was because it happened over a holiday weekend.) Other than that, yes, I agree with assuming phones are compromised when purchasing and apps just increase the risk.

15. EveryDayBeer
    • In Omnia Paratus

EveryDayBeer Loaded Pockets

@AbbyJ504 if you're paying online and extra paranoid, your bank/credit union might have the option to issue a virtual account number attached to your credit card. My bank allows me to set an amount and/or a time limit for the virtual card. It generates a new card number for each instance.

My first sentence was hinting at exactly this! Guess I could've been more straightforward with the opinion. :)

16. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

You can.

baccar-3 likes this.
  17. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

The Best Book about Computer Security for Individuals, Families, and Small Business Owners. The book, available on Kindle, takes a comprehensive view of cyber security for the layman. He provides myriad tools and advice on how to better secure your online life.

KrebsOnSecurity is an interesting blog I got into recently while learning about skimming.

You might also try How to Make Your Smartphone 007 Smart.

For comprehensive computer training try Cybrary.it

18. AbbyJ504

AbbyJ504 Empty Pockets

@garza I didn't know that there was a way to set up a virtual account, I will have to check into it. I generally don't use my debit card or bank info online though, as I have a credit card dedicated to online use.

19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

As if there isn't enough other stuff to worry about, I'm seeing articles warning about recharging phones etc at public recharging stations. This seems to have become an even bigger issue now that the same cables are used for both charging and data transfer. Check out this article: http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/15/technology/public-ports-charging-bad-stop/

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David