1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Security/Doorman EDC

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by ITtechguy, Feb 23, 2011.

1. ITtechguy

ITtechguy Empty Pockets

Hi all, I've lately changed careers, I own a private security company. Mainly hotel, event security. Was wondering what do the doorman or security officers among us carry? :) Will post mine tomorrow evening :D

2. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Until recently, I worked as a Security Guard. Here's what I usually carried:

Black and red pens for writing one report after another.
    Flashlight. My own, since I was never issued that basic bit of gear at any place I worked.
    Working radio. Emphasis on "working."
    Some sort of self-defense tool that I never told my manager about.
    Key to the front door. Either issued, or simply borrowed and made my own copy.

(At one post, I often relieved the same obnoxious joke of a security guard. I got fed up with nearly always having to wait for his butt to come back to the front desk during shift change. Even though he wasn't supposed to, he'd go downstairs 15 minutes before shift change so that he could change out of his uniform and into street clothes. That way he could walk out the instant he was relieved. That often meant I spent 10 or 15 minutes standing outside, sometimes in the pouring rain, while waiting to be let in. Security manager didn't do a :censored: thing about it. Locks on the front door were recently changed. We had numerous spare keys lying in a box in the backroom. I took one of them and EDCed it. If anyone complained about me having my own key to the front door . . . Oh you better believe I'd tell them EXACTLY why I had one on me.)

Last but not least, books or various other types of entertainment or learning media. Why? Well, I realized at my last post that the security industry as a whole is B.S.

My professional approach to the job was never appreciated. So I stopped giving a :censored:. (Just like 99% of all the other guards I worked with.)

3. ITtechguy

ITtechguy Empty Pockets

Thanks for your input! :)

When 'on the door' i usually have
    Personal phone (blackberry torch)
    Business phone (I'm on call 24/7)
    Maxped micro wallet (I'D, Credit/Debit cards a few of my own business cards too, little bit of cash)
    Small FAK carried in a glove holder in the small of my back
    Pen of some sort
    Chewing gum or mints
    Car keys (personal keys are left in my car)
    Radio and ear piece
    Beanie with company logo on it
    some sort of MT/knife
    Keys to the venue
    SIA license
    and a torch of some kind (usually a fenix L1d with a UV light on my keys)

Depending what the venue is, is how I like my team to dress. Usually I wear
    5.11 tac lites
    Company polo shirt
    with a fleece in the summer
    In the winter I wear a Northface parka (plenty of pockets:D)
    With a pair of 5.11 boots

If the venue is more in the centre of town then the team wears
    White company shirt
    Tie with company logo on
    Black slacks
    and black leather shoes

Will update later with pics, and pics of my EDC bag!

4. VonBraun

VonBraun Empty Pockets

One or the other pal, one or the other...:tickedoff:

Jokes aside, IMO unless it's a tiny slipjoint (think key-ring size) that's a bad, bad idea. If you really can't live without something bigger stow it somewhere safe and accessible, but not on you.

Otherwise nice kit!

5. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

@ITtechguy
    I worked as a doorman for more than 6 years. There were some I worked with who would carry a blade or MT with them. Some were discreet. Some less so. Once the SIA licence arrived, all that had to stopped, because if you couldn't justify WHY you had one, you'd be in big trouble. It's a risk to your livelihood and your liberty. Leave it off your person in my opinion. Never once did I wish I had a blade on me.

6. ITtechguy

ITtechguy Empty Pockets

I leave it in my bag more then often mate :) When working events or security at hotels etc then I usually have sone tool on me :) Always is there a small SAK on my keys though :)

7. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

Fair enough. Don't want the SIA on your back eh? Stay safe fella.

8. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Pics yet?

9. ITtechguy

ITtechguy Empty Pockets

True enough mate...could lose my company :O

10. ITtechguy

ITtechguy Empty Pockets

Haven't had time buddy...soon :)

11. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I worked private security for a minute or two. I was always on the graveyard shift, patrolling construction sites.

I had three flashlights on me - a big sucker for throw, a medium range and a pocket light. A notepad and pen. A cellphone as my only form of commo. I probably had a pocket knife on me, I don't recall - emphasis on pocket. A Swiss Army knife or something equally non-threatening.

At my "office" (car), I had snacks, water, clipboard with forms, spare batteries.

If I end up doing it again, it'll probably be something along the same layout, sans knife - I don't think I have any that wouldn't be construed as a weapon, push come to shove. :/

-Trevor

12. ITtechguy

ITtechguy Empty Pockets

I'm actually in scotland at the mo. Dunno when i'll be home! :/ thanks for the replies guys!

13. AeroNautiCal

AeroNautiCal Loaded Pockets

Just a thought...

Might be an idea that any pics you post, do not bear your Company or personal identifier.

Potential/current clients/business rivals/others having access to your personal posts may not be to your advantage.

14. stm

stm Loaded Pockets

Great advice. Pens, notepad, and a good quality flashlight should be in every Security Officer's EDC. 2-way radio or cellphone are essential to reporting emergencies. Besides a front door key, I also keep a spare key to the restrooms at my facility.

We call this "Time Management Material." ;D;D

Sometimes it is hard to find that happy medium between "professional approach" and "gung-ho wanna-be." It's a fine line to walk, but I am very content with the reputation I have established for myself. It's hard not to get discouraged in a thankless job like this. Once I realized what I can and cannot control, I have found a great deal of satisfaction in my job.

Other Security EDC items I would suggest for your consideration:

* Snacks, beverages, water as needed. Drink mix pouches.
    * Extra batteries, notepads, pens, flashlights, etc. Murphy's Law applies here.
    * Extra toilet paper (just in case).
    * Tide Pen (for cleaning coffee stains on uniform).
    * Extra report forms.
    * Chargers for flashlight, cellphone, radio, etc.
    * Police Scanner
    * Plastic Baggies (Keep your stuff dry, doubles as evidence bag)

Hope these suggestions are helpful. Good luck in your new profession!

stm

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Thank you. If all goes well, I shall soon be in a new profession which is just as thankless, but quite badly needed. If someone really gets on my nerves, I can remind them of that last part.

16. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Care to share about the new career path? ;)

Private security is never going to get a good reputation because it's just not cost effective for what people are will to spend to hire security companies and what security companies are willing to spend to hire guards.

There are exceptions to the rule - on a personal basis like Monocrom or based on role: I've seen armed, private security strolling around with more kit jammed on their belts than the local PD. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

-Trevor

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I've decided to become a Pharmacy Technician. If this was the mid - late 1800s, my level of training would be what a Pharmacist received back then. Medical business or funeral business, along with taxes/accounting, those are the fields that will never suffer cut-backs. It helps that the profession is growing at a significant rate.

18. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Lots of sick people out there and more everyday! And you are inside with heat and a/c! Lots better than security!

19. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

In terms of comfort, it really depends on the post you're assigned to. Standing in one spot for 8 hours a day is indeed very common. But at some posts, you do get to sit. Still, only two types should ever work security. The young who are going to school full-time and simply need a way to pay the bills until they graduate. Or, those who are close to retirement age and need a 2nd job. (Or, even worse, were forced into early retirement and lost out on the benefits and retirement pay they were counting on.)

It's not a way to earn even remotely enough to support a family.

20. tree7NE

tree7NE Empty Pockets

I worked contract security as a 2nd job for two years. For the unarmed site it was cellphone, OC spray, CPR face shield, Leatherman, nitrile gloves, radio, flashlight, expanding baton, keys. Folding knife clipped to left pocket, S&W 442 concealed in right pocket (the client wanted us to carry, but not openly). For the armed site it was basically the same except replace the 442 with a Sig 229 on the belt and a douple mag carrier. In either case I had 1 pen and 1 pencil clipped to my shirt pocket, a RITR pad in my shirt pocket, and a level IIA vest underneath. We had to wear a lot of gear and really "look the part", yet what Monocrom said earlier is completely true. The "service" we provided was completely :censored: and our only reason for existing was to give the clients a break on their property insurance. If you actually tried to do what you were supposed to do per the post orders, which was to check IDs for everyone entering the buildings (low-income housing complex), the residents would complain to management who would then yell at you. So I just hung out in the elevator maintenance room above the top floor and watched Netflix movies or studied for school.