1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sebenza Alternative

Discussion in 'Knives' started by RockyNomad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Thats it? The way that site talks about it, it makes it seem so innovative and better. Yet the only change is in the blade? Let down.

2. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

The regular Mini-Grip 556 has a *very* similar blade profile to the Classic Sebenza. I compared my Sebenza against my dad's Mini-Grip and it is almost identical. If the 556 came with a framelock it would be very similar to the Sebenza.

If you like the materials, you could look at the (discontinued) CRKT S2, the Benchmade Mini-Skirmish.

Kershaw's new Shallot sort of reminds me of the Sebenza, but I haven't had the chance to handle one yet... if you just like the idea of framelocks Kershaw has a great many options that are all really nice, and there's the budget CatByrd from Spyderco. Benchmade's Monochrome is also a framelock.

If you can bump up your price range, the Buck Mayo TNT and Bradley Alias are interesting alternatives.

3. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

IMO there is no such a thing as a Sebenza alternative! Either it is a Sebbie or it isn't. Nothing comes close TO a Sebbie, NOTHING.

4. Bucky

Bucky Loaded Pockets

I think it depends on how picky you want to be. The combo edge can be had new for $117 and the plain edge can be found in the $150 range, and either can be found for around or less than $100 in "gently used" condition. Technically, even the Ritter Grip is $107 so that's not under $100 either.

Bucky

5. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

x2, completely.

6. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

Like I said before. Can't spend the $$$ for a Sebenza. Thanks anyway.

7. Autoelite

Autoelite Loaded Pockets

I just posted in this thread but will add here. The Benchmade Pinnacle is very much like the Sebbie. It is titanium handled and a framelock. I actually like it better for a hard user knife. You can probably hunt one down on the forums if you are patient. They usually sell for $150 - 175 sometimes more.

Attached Files:

8. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

Thanks Autoelite. The plain edge satin blade is pretty much what I'm looking for. I'll keep an eye out.

9. Britales

Britales Loaded Pockets

Big +1 on that!!!!!

10. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

Why do you like it better than a Seb for hard use?

11. BoxANT

BoxANT Empty Pockets

both use Crucible S30V
    both have smooth action
    both have very solid lockup
    both are very durable

The OP was asking for a ~100$ *alternative* to a Sebbie, not a cheaper sebbie clone.

I also highly recommend the Cabela Griptilian. I have the mini, and it's awesome :)

12. Mongomondo

Mongomondo Empty Pockets

This is what the OP said

He already has a griptilian and he was interested in the overall LOOK of the sebenza.

13. speedmaster

speedmaster Loaded Pockets

I bought a Buck Sirus a year ago and love it. About $65 I think.

14. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

15. Autoelite

Autoelite Loaded Pockets

Just to be clear, I am not Sebenza bashing. I love the Sebenza and it was one of the first 'high end' knives I ever held and went "WOW !" back in the old days when I was just into Spyderco and Benchmade. I recommended the 750 as a possable alternative because it is a titanium handle mono-lock folder like the Sebbie. After owning well over 100 knives (including 3 full size Sebenzas) I carry my modded 750S every day and have for over 10 years. I like the BM 750 for a user knife for a few reasons. They are less expensive though not so much anymore now that they are out of print. I remember when I could pick one up on the forums for $70-80. I like a knife I can use hard including using the tip to pry things and open bottles. The Sebenza tip has the thickest part at the back of the blade tapering thinner as you reach the sharp edge. The 750 blade tip is thickest in the middle, tapering out in both directions. I have even used the tip to remove philips head screws. The Sebenza blade is just too thin for my taste for its length and width. But then again I am also a fan of JENS ANSØ blades which can run pretty thick.

16. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

17. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

Second that!!!

18. flip

flip Empty Pockets

I have a Sebenza and love it. In fact, I have sold off about half of my knives after I got it. They just seemed unnecessary. I also have several CRKT S-2s. I paid between $35 and $50 for each. If you can find them at that price, I think they are one of the best knife values out there.

19. sabongero

sabongero Loaded Pockets

Not sure there is an alternative to my BG-42 Sebbie, but the one knife that put it out of roation was off all things, a Cold Steel Pocket Bushman. Yup, a $ 30.00 Cold Steel. I've beat on this thing mercilessly and it begs for more. The Sebbie, she was getting old anyway, a 2000 large regular who's scales had smoothed, but the lock up is never better. Off she goes to the CRK spa now and will leave the dirty stuff to the Pocket Bushman.

20. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

I was on the hunt for an "alternative". I've been eyeing the Benchmade Pinnacle and Bradley Alias for quite some time now, but no luck finding one at a reasonable price. Then, I nearly had a small Sebenza drop in my lap. Couldn't pass that up, so now I don't ever need to look for an alternative ever again... ;D