1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sebenza Alternative

Discussion in 'Knives' started by RockyNomad, Jul 14, 2008.

1. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

I absolutely love the Sebenza but can't afford the price. What would be a good alternative for less than $100.

2. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Depends what it is you like about the Sebenza. That will influence recommendations.

I don't like framelocks so I have no real recommendation in that direction. You might find a used Benchmade Pinnacle. It's a very similar design to the Sebenza but has been out of production for a while now. it's possible you might even turn up a used Bradley Alias that is rather Sebenza-like. Maybe a BM Monochrome, a well liked and inexpensive frame lock, though smaller than a Seb.

Try a Ritter Griptilian from Aeromedix.com Great blade, awesome lock and a well implemented handle. Not less than 100 but just a bit above. In fact I prefer this to a Sebenza by quite a bit.

phil

3. RockyNomad

I currently edc a grip and love it. I saw a very old post about the Pinnacle which is what got me started on this thread. I just really like the overall look of the Sebs.

4. Bucky

Bucky Loaded Pockets

Another vote for the Ritter Grip. It's a great alternative to the Sebenza with the same S30v steel. Also, don't forget that for about $100 you could get a Leatherman Charge TTi with S30v steel.

Bucky

5. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

6. RockyNomad

I already have a grip and a leatherman charge is a multitool. I really want something as close to the look/feel of a sebenza as possible for under $100.

7. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

Frankly, I am not sure that such a knife exists. Titanium handled framelock with S30V blade for less that $100 that feels like a Sebenza? One that might come close would be a benchmade mini skirmish which would be just around $140 unless you find one used.

I have a couple of Ritter Mini grips. I love the S30V tumbled finish flat ground blades. Sure it isn't a titanium framelock but the Axis lock is solid, too.

If you really want a knife that looks and feels like a Sebenza, take a step back and consider if you can save a $100 or so per month and if you can in three or four months just get the real thing?

8. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

The Ritter has the wide blade with the lightly dropping point like the Sebenza. SMOOTH because of the Axis which the Sebenza has from the Bushing. Handle, well, no, the Ritter doesn't feel like a Sebenza. I think the Ritter is superior. I don't like how the grip on a frame locks cants when the lock is engaged. I find it uncomfortable and annoying.

But that's why the Ritter keeps getting mentioned.

Some of the framelock metal handled Kershaws get mentioned in these sorts of threads, but I don't own any Kershaws and don't really follow the line so i have no specific recommendation there.

Phil

9. Juststeve

Juststeve Loaded Pockets

:armor:
    [​IMG]

;D

10. chavez

chavez Loaded Pockets

11. Bucky

Bucky Loaded Pockets

For that exact requirement, you are not going to find anything that comes closer than the Alias.

Bucky

12. mattz357

mattz357 Loaded Pockets

The Alias looks most similar, but the Mini Skirmish that I had with bronze washers was smoother than my Sebenza.

13. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Except the Alias runs twice that price.

Phil

14. MSCantrell

MSCantrell Loaded Pockets

The Columbia River S-2 sometimes gets mentioned as a "Sebenza cousin" or "poor man's sebenza". Titanium framelock and premium blade steel. :shrug:

15. VT-aroo

VT-aroo Loaded Pockets

That does look like it comes close. You might also look at the CRKT apache from on ebay.

16. BoxANT

BoxANT Empty Pockets

Another vote for the Ritter Grip, it is such an amazing knife :roof:
    [​IMG]

17. Mongomondo

Mongomondo Empty Pockets

The Ritter grip is a great knife but aside from being sharp it has little in common with a Sebenza.

18. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:welcome: Welcome to EDC Forums, Mongomondo.

19. oranges

oranges Loaded Pockets

How does that Ritter differ from a regular Grip?

20. Domanfp

Domanfp Loaded Pockets

The grinds and blade steel are diff on the ritter grip. From what I have seen you can pick up a used ritter grip for ~100-150 depending on condition and you can pick up used mini skirmishes all day for 100. Between the two I think I would go with the mini skirmish for the framelock and ti slabs.