1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Seattle for the family?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by rebelgtp, Apr 18, 2016.

1. rebelgtp

rebelgtp Empty Pockets

Alright guys we have a family trip planned up to Gig Harbor area of Washington this spring and figured we would spend a day in Seattle as my wife has never been there and I havn't been for at least 10 years or more. We live in a small town out in eastern Oregon and honestly crowds in big cities drive me nuts anymore but I can deal to give my family a good day.

It will be my wife, the baby (18 month old now son) and myself. I was figuring on maybe hitting the waterfront and aquarium and my wife wants to go to the zoo, Other than that I am not sure what else we should try and hit up. Any suggestions? Areas that we should avoid?

Sadly my CC permit does not cover Washington, I need to fix that but doubt I will have time between now and then. Any issues with my ZT350?

2. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Get a Utah permit - it covers WA and a lot more states in addition.

3. rebelgtp

rebelgtp Empty Pockets

Yeah I was going to I just need the spare time to actually take the class. Living in a small town does have a few draw backs one of which is classes like a Utah permit is not an always happening kinda thing. Need to wait for a class and I need to not be working.

4. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Pikes market gets old for us. We go a few times a year.

Edit: forgot. NEVER..... never gets old.

Last edited by Mumbojumboo, Apr 18, 2016
  5. heck333
    • +4 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

heck333 Loaded Pockets

You should be fine with your ZT. Not sure when your trip is, but be aware that the 99 viaduct will be closed from the end of this month until mid May, due to Bertha tunneling beneath it. That will shift traffic to surface streets, especially near the Seattle Aquarium. Just a thought, Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium is in Tacoma just over the bridge from Gig Harbor, and I think it is a nicer zoo than the Woodland Park one in Seattle...

Greg

6. rebelgtp

rebelgtp Empty Pockets

I didn't even know there was a zoo and aquarium in Tacoma. I will check them out. Thanks for the tip.

7. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yes, Point Defiance.

The Bertha project blows big time.

One thing you have to also be aware of is the rampant spread of homelessness throughout the city. Basically any overpass is going to have someone living under it. Outside Pioneer Square there are tents literally on the sidewalks.

Maybe catch a Mariners game but be aware of the camps around Filson's and across from the Salvation Army store.

8. rebelgtp

rebelgtp Empty Pockets

Yeah I was just down in Portland where I use to live 10 years ago and the homeless population has exploded down there from what I saw. Hell I saw tents and shanty shelters right on sidewalks. I can only imagine how Seattle is.

Hey are the old Curiosity shops with the mummies and things like Fiji mermades still down on the waterfront?

9. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yep. The shoppes are still there and the mummy. Ivar's still has the outdoor walk up for fish 'n chips. The sea wall is being repaired so plan for limited parking.

10. jemhouston
    • +2 Supporter

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Been there three times.

1. If you like planes, Seattle Museum of Flight. Been there all three trips, something new each time.

2. Boat tour of Lake Union / Lake Washington. If you take that, you'll either sunscreen, or coat and a hat. I had the later, didn't have a problem. My Brother in Law had none, and was wearing a tank top. Sunburn on his shoulders and bald spot.