1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

SDU-5E Strobe Light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Ranger325, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Ranger325

Ranger325 Empty Pockets

Hi folks, I lookin' for a little help here.

I have a military strobe light (SDU-5E ) from my Army days and the battery is dead. The battery (BA-5374 Lithium) is black with a brass cap on the end that threads into the base of the light. I've seen them for sale on the net (Fleabay), but am hesitant to buy one, not knowing age, past use, etc.

Is there a way to modify this one to use commercial batteries? I tried #123 batts from a flashlight and two are too tall in the battery well. I've also seen adapters, but wondered if the original cap can be used with other batteries. Any experience with these?? Ideas?

Thanks....................

2. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

There sure is. http://www.prc68.com/P/5BA.html

I've got several of these, they work great! They're somewhat water resistant, but not water proof.

OBTW, good call on avoiding the old batteries...they don't last long. New ones (if still available) are horrendously expensive - like $100 each, last time I checked.

Fortunately for us taxpayers, the military mostly switched away from a unique battery for every device, and the new MS-2000 lights use AA's.

3. Ranger325

Ranger325 Empty Pockets

Thank Doc!! Good stuff.............. ;)

4. jfirebalrog

jfirebalrog Empty Pockets

Yeah thanks a ton .I have two of these sitting in a gearbox sans batteries.

5. Flight-ER-Doc

Flight-ER-Doc Loaded Pockets

You're all welcome. BTW, if anyone has an old PRC-90 survival radio the battery adapters that prc68.com has work well also - again, water resistant, but not waterproof.