1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Screwdriver EDC

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by severdhed, Oct 2, 2019.

1. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

Do any of you carry a dedicated screw driver? If so, which one and how? I carry my Leatherman Skeletool along with the bit kit and extension, and while this works fairly well for many situations, sometimes I just wish I had a real screwdriver. I do keep a small precision driver with 9 various mini bits in it for taking apart electronics, but I sometimes need something more substantial.

I'm out of space in my pockets, so I needed to come up with a belt carry option. I found this kobalt driver a while back at Lowe's that is a nice size. It has storage in the handle for 6 regular bits, but I opted for 3 extended length bits instead. The Leatherman bit extender seems to work well with this, so I can also use all of the flat Leatherman bits with it.

I had previously used a section of 1" black poly pipe from home Depot to make a belt holster for my flashlight, so I figured I'd do the same for this screwdriver. It is a little bit too large in diameter in the thickest part of the handle, so I had to heat to the pipe and press in another piece of pipe to stretch out the top end a little. It is a tight fit, but it is a single piece design with no additional hardware and so far it works great. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have been searching for a long time for something better where carrying a legit screwdriver is concerned.

I also need pliers/cutters/strippers and a variety of other tools and the combination of needs has been a challenge to meet to say the least.

Until I started carrying the Gerber CenterDrive that is!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The CD really is a screwdriver in the best sense also wrapped in a package with a great set of Pliers and other tools as a bonus.
    The ability to interchange standard bits and use the driver at different angles and then fold it into a smaller form and holster it has really effectively enhanced my productivity by a mile!

I also carry the same Kobalt driver as you at times,I love the SAK Cybertool for its precision drivers and pliers in a small pocket size and there are a handful of other drivers that I will/can carry as needed but the CD is the answer for me at least for the last year or so.

This one is especially handy as long as there are only standard and phillips screws involved and I wish these were still around and being improved for sure.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Love this Klein too!

[​IMG]

Of course there is the Wera

[​IMG][​IMG]

I used a Spirit X with Leatherman Bit Adapter and Bits up until then and while I also LOVE the Spirit and the way that it works for me there is no real substitute in my world for the real magnetic bit holder in the CD!

Last edited by EZDog, Oct 3, 2019
    #2 EZDog, Oct 3, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    ran23, WillAdams and Nick4305 like this.
  3. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Carry a Klein 10 in one in my bag.

4. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

Not a dedicated screwdriver, but surprisingly capable: https://www.edcforums.com/threads/bits-and-more.140691/#post-2701822

- CRKT Getaway Driver
    - Everratchet
    - 3 Bitkys

[​IMG]

I keep thinking about carrying a Starrett 559A or B, but that would be more of a fetish than an actual tool (and not something I'm willing to risk losing).

I did just get a Kershaw Select Fire, and I'm debating on swapping out my Rangerwood 55 for it, but I'm probably not, since I keep hoping I'll have occasion to use the corkscrew.

5. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Stanley Pocket Multi-Bit Screwdriver 3-Pc., 4-in-1, carry it in my Rite-in-Rain cover

Along with the bit in whichever Leatherman I'm carrying

6. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

That Movie Guy likes this.
  7. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I joined the Kickstarter some time back. Scheduled for delivery in January 2020. It looks pretty useful, and I hope it is, but not exactly the route to choose if you need something like this double-quick

8. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

The select fire is cool in theory, but I wish the driver locked out when extended. It folds to easily when applying any kind of pressure

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

WillAdams likes this.
  9. severdhed

severdhed Loaded Pockets

So after carrying this for a few days, i discovered that the rubberized handle on the Kobalt screwdriver made it very difficult to remove from the polyethylene pipe.

Since i couldn't find the right tool for the job, i decided to make it myself.

i picked up a quick release bit holder at the local hardware store. I then used Tinkercad to model a handle and end cap in 3D to my specifications. Once it was complete, i sent the STL file to my friend who was kind enough to 3D Print it for me....and here it is! I made a custom belt holster for it from a section of 1" polyethylene pipe. By combining this with the Leatherman bit extender, it is also compatible with the flat double-sided Leatherman bits.
    I know it is just a screwdriver, but it makes me quite happy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

I don't EDC a screwdriver but I have a multi bit one in my toolbox at work. Picquic is the brand and it's honestly the best quality multi-bit screwdriver I've ever owned.

[​IMG]