1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Screw Links

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by samson722, Jun 2, 2006.

1. Redhed

Redhed Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I am curious too. I bought four - maybe a couple years ago (for consideration as EDC keychains - use Lucky Line Fix-O-Locs now though) and two were defective. On one the screw barrel part doesn't stop - you can keep screwing until it comes off in either direction. On the other defective one it will screw down, but the link is too short when it's fully tight and there is a gap!

Unless they are "really, really new and improved" I wouldn't use them for anything too serious. Thanks for the teflon idea, I may try that or had considered locktite for a permanent attachment somewhere...

2. stillphoto

stillphoto Loaded Pockets

really all they need to do is make the little screw part a few mm longer, and maybe tighten the tolerances a bit between the pieces...I bought a larger steel and brass one from a local outdoors shop...It's considerably bigger, but still works as a keychain just fine...its actually extremely well made and tightens down and stops as it should. Best of all it was only a few bucks..I'll try to post a pic later

3. Desert-K9

Desert-K9 Empty Pockets

I'm kinda coming into this late, but I have had the same problems with 4 Ti screwlinks from County Comm. I had to retire them from serious use. :mad: If they did fix the problem I'd love to buy a bunch.

4. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I can never hear enough complaints regarding this product. It really provides the need review on a product that has so much potential.
    I am sure many of the members thought that it only happened to them.

5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

H3, (heathah) ;D

Looking forward to your thoughts.

6. Ors

Ors Empty Pockets

I am a money grubbing jerk :laugh:
    If I can get a product from more than one place, I will go through the online order process until it gives me the total and if I can get it a couple of bucks cheaper, I'll go with that place. Then there's the mentality "How much do I have to spend to get free shipping?" :p
    For example, I wanted to get some scrap pieces of hemp fabric from a place...one pound of scraps was $5...great deal...or so I thought. UPS shipping from California to the Midwest was $13!! :eek: :mad:

No sale.

And I just hate when I'm short on funds, and want to get one item for $5 or $10, and then the shipping ends up being as much as or more than the cost of the item :mad:

I don't mind spending my money on a good bit of kit, but I hate parting with the coinage for the shipping and handling charges :(

7. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

Does anybody have any updates on this product?

8. lcranston

lcranston Loaded Pockets

I have had two of the new screw links for the past couple months or so. I am using one as my key ring. The metal is thicker and the threads are longer. On the old ones, I could tug on the ring and you could easily see it sparate on the non threaded end. I tugged on the newer ones and don't see a gap, but it still feels like there is no flange. They are better than the older ones, but too small and not designed for weight bearing.

9. samson722

samson722 Empty Pockets

If you really crank it down tight, so that the screw is tightened all the way down, have you had issues with separation? or is that issue resolved... with the model I have now, it won't separate, but I can't screw it too tight, because the unthreaded end always pops out. I've lost keys that way, it's very annoying! If the problem is fixed, I'll definitely buy some. Thanks for the info.

10. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I'm going to wait for more comparisons.

11. pipedreams

pipedreams Loaded Pockets

I'm waiting for more info, myself.

todd

12. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

H3,

Have you received yours yet?

13. Deaths Head

Deaths Head Banned

I always wanted to buy a couple, but I didn't want to pay for the steep shipping costs. Now, the more I read about it, the more I want a few. I really hope that all the kinks are fixed and then maybe we could set-up a group buy.

14. samson722

samson722 Empty Pockets

I really do intend to pick some up and see what they're really made of, so to speak. Its been a frustrating couple of weeks. I'm changing jobs, and the new company that I got hired on with has been playing games...not returning my calls, dodging my questions about when I can start...I promise as soon as I get a paycheck or two in, and take care of a couple bills, these links are the first thing on my list. Good things come to those who wait...remember that. Keep the faith, and I hope anyone that has the new links has great success!

Cheers!

15. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

Sorry it's taking me so long to do a review but I just got a new position and we are moving into a different apartment so things have been very crazy.  I'll do a formal review as soon as everything gets situated and I find my camera.  :(  Let me just say that it does feel better than the previous CountyComm scew links.  I'll try to do some comparison photos as well as a complete personal review and post it within the next couple of days.  Stay tuned... :)

16. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Cool.  This shows some promise.

I've got more than a few applications waiting for this product.

I'm in for at least 5 if the group buy materializes.

There is an alternative at Berkeley Point, but at $16, they are over 5 times the cost of Countycomm's offering.

17. stillphoto

stillphoto Loaded Pockets

Here's what I've been using as of late to replace the county comm version:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, bigger, this actually allows you to easily get a finger into the link to hold your keys by it..its heavier yes (a trivial amount) but this guy has yet to come un threaded and due to its design (the screwable part being almost 50% longer) it hasn't disconnected from the bottom. In fact the design pretty much makes that an impossibilty.

Bought it for under $3 from the local Adventure 16.

Sure I'd love for it to weigh nothing, and to be ti for that cool factor, but in this case reliability and utility have won.

18. samson722

samson722 Empty Pockets

Do you know if Adventure 16 sells these online? I looked at their website and couldn't find them anywhere. Unfortunately, I live on the East Coast, so I'm SOL if there's no way for me to get them online. Thoughts?

19. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Sam,

I think I have one not in use. PM me your addy and I'll send it to you.

20. lcranston

lcranston Loaded Pockets

I have not had a problem with the newer ones. I have been using one as a key ring and one is on an Infinity Ultra-G. The flaw in the design seems to be not having a rim/flange to keep the non threaded end from popping out if pulled hard. The thicker material on the newer one appears to make this less likely. I like the ones I have. Even though they are thicker, I am able to keep a few keys on it without spilt rings. I tossed out the old ones I had, so I can't give you a visual comparison. When I got the newer ones, I pulled on the non threaded end to see if it would spread out like the old ones. There is a little springyness, but the loose end does not come out and it springs back to the original position. If anyone wants to see one, I can scan one with a rule by it on Monday.