1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Scratches on Casio crystal

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Bogwan, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Bogwan

Bogwan Loaded Pockets

I noticed some scratches on my Casio triple sensor watch crystal. A few are fairly deep. The crystal is made of very hard plastic and has some sort of lines that move on the inner side in compass mode. It might be very expensive to replace the crystal and because of these lines possibly not even practical. Has anyone tried using a dremel tool to buff out scratches? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Deep scratches will not come out im afraid, but you should be able to make them less noticeable (and you can possibly completely remove smaller ones) with something like Polywatch. Its a plastic polish/solvent combination ive used with good success on many plastics.

3. Bogwan

Bogwan Loaded Pockets

Thank you Westerdutch. I will try to get some Polywatch and give it a try.

4. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

YW! After youve given it a nice polish dont forget rinse and clean with dishwasher liquid thoroughly as there's solvents in that stuff you dont want creeping around in the nooks n crannies of your watch (and casios tend to have more of those than other watches). No telling what it can do in the long run.

5. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I have used polishes on plastic and diamond paste on glass with a Dremel tool set at low speed. Some pretty inexpensive watches still may have a glass crystal. You can check the Casio website to be sure that it is plastic.

6. Airborne 1

Airborne 1 Loaded Pockets

you can polish most of them out but don't start with the dremel . Work the crystal with wet/dry paper 320 to 8000 then use your dremel very litely .

2 Panther

7. Bogwan

Bogwan Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the info. I found some stuff on ebay called "Scratch Genie" that also has some youtube vids and it looks like it would work pretty well on all types of crystals.

Ordered some Scratch Genie and it should be delivered by next Saturday. Will post how it works when I get it.

Last edited by Bogwan, Mar 6, 2016
  8. Bogwan

Bogwan Loaded Pockets

Received the Scratch Genie yesterday and got a chance to use it today. The package included a syringe of diamond polishing paste and a 8mm polishing bob that can be used with a dermel tool. You apply some of the paste to the crystal and use the polishing bob with a dermel tool. Using circular motion on the crystal. The scratch was fairly deep but I was able to buff it out after a few minutes of work. It is completely gone. If you use too much pressure you could possibly start to melt the hard plastic crystal so make sure to check your work often and go easy. It is supposed to work on Acrylic, Mineral Crystal, Hardlex Glass, Gorilla Glass or Sapphire Crystal.

adnj likes this.
  9. Airborne 1

Airborne 1 Loaded Pockets

Good job ! I've got a Marathon gov.issue that has a acrylic crystal (cheap watch,well not to cheap ). I bought it years ago and when the batt.died and the crystal got so bad you couldn't see the face ,I chunked it in a drawer and forgot about it. I look around the interwebs and found one as screwed up as mine and they wanted 150 bucks for it !! Well needless to say I got my butt in gear and learn how to polish the crystal,bought batt. (6) for 1.20 apiece (Walmart wanted 7.00bucks each !!! ) I'm very glad to have my friend back ! it keeps better time than my Rolex, and weights a whole lot less !
    I will be ordering ScratchGenie in the morning ! Thanks

2 Panther

10. dreiwhit

dreiwhit Loaded Pockets

Years ago, I used Brasso to polish the scratches out of watch crystals. It worked well for me, but there may be better things these days.