1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Scottevest?

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Dovetail, Nov 25, 2011.

1. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I bought the cotton hoodie a year ago. I did not like the fit at all. I'm 5'7, 120 lbs. I ordered a small and it seemed short but very wide. The pockets are pretty neat...just wish the fit was better. I ended up selling it.

2. noth

noth Loaded Pockets

I got a Tropical Jacket a couple of years ago and a Fleece 5.0 shortly after. The TJ I wore once and found out I got the wrong size; returning from Greece is not an option I'm afraid, so I put it away should I ever grow taller/wider... :D The Fleece I've been wearing daily ever since and I'm quite happy with it. As D50boy mentioned earlier, it does little for wind, but it's ok for sprint/autumn outings, and serves great as a middle layer in the winter.

3. Vulcan

Vulcan Loaded Pockets

I have the Scott light weight jacket. The jacket is only average....My two big complaints are that the sleeves are too short for me and for the money I paid I would like to see the jacket made in a more high tech material....it seems to attract a lot of lint. I also own a pair of the shorts....very lame. In my opinion they are very short compared to currents styles (kind of an 80s look instead of the boarder shorts you see now). I have an idea that my wife has ordered the e Vest for Christmas for me....I will test that out in a week!

4. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Loaded Pockets

To the OP: RUN AWAY! Don't walk away.

I've owned all kinds of Scottevest gear. A vest, shirt, cargo pants, sport coat, shell, etc. All of it has been poorly made from inferior materials. The only thing premium about this product line is the advertising and pricing.

These products were a great idea in the late 90's when all our tech was wired, only did one thing (e.g. dumb phone) and had short battery life. That was then. Now the average smart phone does more in a smaller package.

Unless you like loading / unloading or wearing the same garment all week, the practicality of these garments on a daily basis is minimal. An EDC bag and some home made pocket sheaths (for flash light, knife and lighter) have completely eliminated my need for Scottevest apparel.

Save your money, buy nice clothing.

Dave

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

5. wundergeist

wundergeist Loaded Pockets

Hi

I own a lot of SeV clothing and for a while I was a big fan. Then I started having quality issues:

- After a month, worn perhaps ten times for normal day wear, and three washes, the black travel vest looks ten years old: lost color (it's reddish in some places, greyish in others), there's some fraying. The other colors held a little better, but there's a lot of fraying.
    -Sizes are inconsistent, to say the least. I have three vests now (one in each color they had, white, red, black; I had five, three of which black, but donated two black ones to charity given color problem), all bought at the same time and there are three inches of size difference in chest perimeter between the largest and the smallest. They are all, nominally, size L.
    - The same three vests, again purchased at the same time, have different detailing and pocket sizes/zipper positions. Again, these are three colors of nominally the same product.
    - Same problems (size and details) apply to two colors of micro-fleece pullover, with an additional problem that the internal zippers (in the front pocket) last about one zip each. Yes, the second time I tried to divide the pocket into three, one of the zippers broke.

Also, with a few years of experience, there are some things that, though they work as advertised, don't really work well in the real world:

- In the photos on the site the vests look elegant (not bulging), but this only happens if you're very slim (so the vest is oversized) or the pockets are empty. If you put anywhere close to the cargo you could put in a vest with patch pockets (= most other vests), the SeV vest will look ridiculous; the fleece can't really carry anything much beyond what you could carry in a regular fleece; it has an internal structure, as advertised, but it is also made of fleece, so it stretches. Any North Face fleece with the extra, harder, fabric can carry a lot more weight.
    - The wires management system works as advertised, but unless you have multiple headsets for your phone or always wear the same jacket, the annoyance of putting them in and taking them out to change jackets means you end up never using it, unless it's for a long trip and you only have one jacket that you always wear.
    - The vests are very good at trapping moisture from perspiration and letting outside wind in. Yes, it's sarcasm, but they are really terrible in this: even in somewhat cold days you end up sweating a lot; then if there's a little wind, the vest doesn't block it at all (unless you have all pockets full of stuff, of course) so you get wet+cold, the opposite of good fabric.

As I said, I used to be a big fan of these, having been an early adopter; but then I started doing things with them other than wearing them to the office on occasion and that brought up a lot of issues.

Cheers,
    JCS

6. Dovetail

Dovetail Empty Pockets

Whelpppppp......It turns out that I didn't even need to purchase one of those cotton jackets...I had one given to me for Christmas. At the initial viewing, it looked fairly decent, not worth the 70 bucks plus shipping though. Once I put it on my neck started hollering at me to take the :censored: off, the velcro for the headphone holder at the neckline was not positioned very well at all. As I started to load it up with my usual EDC to save myself from pants pocket bulge, I started to experience: jacket pocket bulge. The highly-toted "Personal Area Network" to keep you from looking bulky? It didn't help at all in my case. While I do admit there were plenty of pockets for all of my stuff, I ended up looking like a bomber...various unexplained bulges everywhere, wasn't pretty by any means. The rest of the jacket on a purely comfort factor, minus the neck issue, was about a 7 on a 10 scale. Interior wasn't as comfortable as it could be, was mildly scratchy. I did get a few complements on the look of the jacket before I loaded it down, so evidently from the outside it looked pretty good to others. As to the warmth, I started to get hot immediately after I put it on, it's warmer than it looks. Not a jacket to wear inside....unless you're in a meat locker.

TL DR: Decent jacket, not worth the money but really warm and lots of space if you don't mind looking like a bomber.

7. GuywithSocks

GuywithSocks Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the update.

I guess it's the thought that counts with this gift!:santa:

8. Dovetail

Dovetail Empty Pockets

Don't you mean with any gift? Sometimes I just have to shake my head at people who give me odd gifts, then I remember that there's (mostly) always good intentions and thoughts behind it!

9. Rod Freeman

Rod Freeman Loaded Pockets

I bought the long vest and here are my observations:

1) Its too darn long. If you are trying to conceal a full sized handgun, its still too long. I'm 6"2" and this thing would probably be better for someone 6"5".
    2) The pockets are great.
    3) Everything balances nicely in the vest, and is easily accessed.
    4) It quickly got 'scruffy' looking ... little frayed ends, lost some colour after the first wash. Now its fine to wear with scruffy jeans, but I wouldn't take it on a business trip.
    5) What made me stop wearing it is that its too long (did I mention that?) and there is some sort of prickly thing in the collar that keeps aggravating my neck. I can't find it to pull it out - its like there is some little bit of thread on the collar ends that tickles my skin. Dunno what that is all about.

My dad bought one of the jackets and loves it. I would buy a jacket or another vest - but the regular length version next time.

10. LoneStarJosh

LoneStarJosh Loaded Pockets

I agree, although I've never owned one, I'd never buy a vest because they're ultra nerdy. The rest of the items are just too expensive. That windbreaker someone posted up top seems pretty cool, But honestly, I've very rarely ever felt like I didn't have enough pockets. Seems like a pretty limited market.

11. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

Honestly, you can just buy a peacoat or a winter jacket and have enough pockets for everything.

12. stevecny

stevecny Loaded Pockets

I started off as a big fan myself (own multiple jackets, pants, and shirts). Their earlier stuff seemed to be okay, but I've also experienced some lackluster quality in their more recent stuff. I do like the design, but it's overpriced for what you get. As others have mentioned, moving your headphones around when you change jackets are a hassle. Some of the pockets built into the liner of the jackets rub on the belt the wrong way and tend to wear through quickly if you carry stuff on your belt. I also found the magnets, though an interesting idea, tend to wear on the sides of my washer and dryer, not to mention the materials they're embedded in. On some of the pants, you can see exactly where the circular magnets are on each pocket when the material gets worn, and it really does look shabby. I eventually threw out all but one of the pants. The packable windbreaker packs away nicely, but doesn't breathe at all in use so I'll wind up with swampy arms just wearing a t-shirt.

Oddly I'm still wearing some of the jackets (3.0 and the Revolution) this winter, but tend not to load up the pockets with EDC items. I find them better off in my backpack. What I've found that works for me (at least in the winter months) is to use the classic vest to hold stuff I want to carry with me (iPod, phone, keys, etc), but wear a good Columbia or North Face jacket over it for the warmth and weather protection.

13. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Loaded Pockets

I have one of their ancient discontinued jackets that I bought back in High School along with their cargo pants and "hidden cargo" pants, and we've tried some of their newer offerings for my mother. I'll back up what everyone else here has said: Great idea, extremely flawed execution, and be prepared for everything to be ridiculously untrue to size. The finishing is often poor, especially the seams, and the materials are generally no better. My jacket (like almost all of their offerings) is pure polyester which makes it stifling and sweaty in the summer but somehow still not particularly warm in the winter. The cargo pants are of such a poor material that they are practically translucent under some lighting and the seams fray readily, some like the faux-molle failing utterly the instant you expect any USE of them. Like my vest the pants somehow utterly fail at breathing despite their incredibly low threadcount. At the same time the enormous polyester pockets leave your thighs clammy and sweaty while the "cargo" pocket is placed perfectly to bang on the tendons at the side of your knee.

The ones I've gotten the most use out of are the allegedly dress pants. They've become my go-to "I need to pretend to look respectable but halfassing it won't be a problem" pants. The khakis look like someone dyed cheap jeans tan even if the color is somewhat decent, and the black pants wound up with a whitish/bluish hue to them. What these DO have going for them is an actual decent cotton material that finally actually breathes, other than your perpetually stifled thighs of course thanks to the return of the enormous polyester pockets... although given their intended use areas they are a manageable problem for once and unlike normal dress pants you can finally trust things not to fall out of your pocket at the first opportunity.

If I had to give SeV two things it would be sheer pocketspace and when you find one of their "worth it" items on one of the semi-annual/annual 60% off sales it will last you just about forever. I wore the black pseudo-dress pants as part of my dishroom work uniform for a year and I just could not kill these pants. A solid year of 7-12+ hour shifts every weekend kneeling in chemicals and filth on nonskid, getting drenched in chemicals with unpleasant MSDS', scrubbed, soaked, washed two to three times in a row to get the smell out, even hit with a pressur washer semi-irregularly. They simply would. not. die.

The same goes for that vest. It's basically a cheap hollow polyester shell on the outside with polyester netting on the inside and a bunch of zippers but it's bloody indestructible. I've carried 12 bottles of soda/tea in it every month for years, bailed off my bike and god knows how many other failed landings, and it's still had exactly one failure: The keyring's button tore off the same faux-molle style nylon strap that fails on the cargo pants.

14. Canonsue

Canonsue Empty Pockets

The new version of the vest is very good. I love mine.

15. Turtle75

Turtle75 Loaded Pockets

I have been wearing one of their travel vests since Christmas.

Overall very pleased.
    Took me while to figure the best config for myself...That was quite fun.
    Pockets galore! I couldn't imagine maxing out the load!
    the "network" is kind of pointless, and I wonder if it would lighten the vest any to scrap it.
    LOVE the built in buff!
    Color- Black, went to charcoal after one wash. Keeps bulges disguised very well
    Nice touch having the soft lining around the collar, however stubble will tear it up!
    Rear pocket is great for newspaper, maps etc.
    Weight distributes very well.

16. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

i was just about to pull the trigger for a cotton hoodie.

17. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I received a black vest/fleece as a gift. Out of the box, the lining in the napoleon pocket was torn. It was returned for another one, which I love. Its a light weight fleece jacket that wont sag when you load it up. Like mentioned above...not a heavy use item. I use mine for going out to the stores or traveling... anything more that that gets the Carhartt. The clear phone pocket rocks. As does the sunglass pocket with builtin microfiber cloth. Very stylish as well.

18. yakuzaboss

yakuzaboss Loaded Pockets

Over the last couple of years, I've bought and eventually returned several of their jackets. While the concept is there, the execution is not. For me, Scottevest offerings are mainstream materials with department store quality at premium prices. I'd rather use my money towards a TAD Ranger Hoodie.:p

Last edited by yakuzaboss, Mar 27, 2013
    Turtle75 likes this.
  19. Motorman

Motorman Loaded Pockets

20. Motorman

Motorman Loaded Pockets

Must agree with this one.
    Bought their shirt with the thought of a "travel" shirt. It is of unusual material.
    It is very warm and not conducive to warm weather.
    The magnetic "buttons" are a real pain in the .....! They often come open when you move or stretch. The magnetic
    buttons on the wrists come unattached and it can be a constant battle.
    Wouldn't buy it again.