1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Scissors on SAKs

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by flatline, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

I was told once never to trust a bottle without a "rotary cork". Anyway, on the very rare occasion that it's needed, we have one of those waiter type tools.

CalicoSalsa and Cheeser like this.
  2. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Almost all Australian wine is screw caps now. Most viticulturalists say the wine is less likely to go bad with a screw cap

CalicoSalsa, ManVsLawn and Rasthor like this.
  3. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

I, personally, won't be sorry to see cork oak bark corks gone - at last, no choosing between corkscrew and proper cross screwdriver. But it's not happening so far.

Muro, ManVsLawn and Cheeser like this.
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The blades on Victorinox scissors are functionally adequate; however, I thoroughly dislike the spring as it adds a significant element of flimsiness that detracts from the overall usefulness AND actually makes me ignore this particular tool. I prefer the solid bar that is used in the Wenger products. As such, I found the Wenger Evowood S557 to have supplanted all my Victorinox SAKs.

Gary Gross, CalicoSalsa and ManVsLawn like this.
  5. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

I would've thought that the scissors on the saks are ambidextrous

CalicoSalsa, ManVsLawn and kertap75 like this.
  6. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Technically any pair of scissors can be used with either hand. But because of the natural movement of the hands as you squeeze if you are using the opposite hand that they are made for then the blades are pushed slightly apart instead of together. If you are aware of this you can compensate and effectively use any pair of scissors with either hand But with smaller scissors this is much harder to do.

CalicoSalsa, ManVsLawn and masofnos like this.
  7. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

ahh that makes sense

CalicoSalsa and kertap75 like this.
  8. gingerninja

gingerninja Loaded Pockets

The scissors arnt something I use to much on my SAKs but I do like Wengers scissors better

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  9. Redneck Bear

Redneck Bear Guest

For me, on my Huntsman it's scissors, can opener, toothpick, blade ... i find it funny though. :)
    I suppose a multitool would be of more use to me lol ...

10. northslope

northslope Loaded Pockets

I purchased a couple SAKs about four years ago. Two knives that didn't have scissors and one Spirit, that of course did. I find that I use my scissors as much or more than anything else. My wife is always asking for them while we are driving. I always find loose threads on my kid's clothes at church, etc. They also work great to trim my nails. Now I won't buy a SAK unless it has scissors. I mainly use my Fieldmaster right now and I've put the SwissChamp on my Christmas list because when I carry a SAK over my Spirit I find that I need wire cutters. I have an acre of ground with chickens and a garden and I'm often cutting wire. I find I enjoy my SAKS over using other multi-tools, even my Spirit (which is the best Multi-tool I've owned). If I know I'll be doing some work on the farm, I would opt for the Spirit but for everyday, I like the SAKs. In order I probably use most: Scissors, knife, toothpick, flat head, awl (for cleaning under finger nails), then everything else. If I have my Multi-tool I would put wire cutters and pliers right after flat head screwdriver.

Anderson_Aidan and CalicoSalsa like this.
  11. Nenavist

Nenavist Loaded Pockets

I'm a huge fan of SAKs with scissors. I think the only SAKs I have without them are my two Soldiers. I really love my small collection of 84/85mm SAKs with scissors. I even have the matching 91's to go with a few of the 84's.[​IMG]

#31 Nenavist, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    AlgoOPC likes this.
  12. WyOkBuckskin

WyOkBuckskin Loaded Pockets

I love the the scissors on the SAK. I recently added a Fieldmaster to my collection. A super Tinker with a saw blade is what it amounts to.

AlgoOPC likes this.
  13. sticktodrum

sticktodrum Empty Pockets

The Pioneer X was released, but hasn't made it to the US yet it seems. A stock Pioneer with scissors, should be nice.

graham_s and Rebel like this.
  14. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

I'm worried about the extra layer. I dislike the Farmer due to its thickness, so the X is going to be about the same.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

15. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

If you find my old, original Made in USA Micra the useless SOBs took from me one time please mail it back to me :(

16. Rebel

Rebel Loaded Pockets

This one is on my list. Available on ebay now.

17. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

I was under the impression the Micra was still made in USA, even though they stop stamping them so about 15 (?) years ago. Has that changed?

18. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Flimsier than the Wenger setup, maybe, but in twenty years of using Victorinox, I've only had to replace the spring once. At the time, I bought a few more for just in case, but so far, no need.

O_G likes this.
  19. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Actually, it is pretty easy to get here in the US. Amazon has it (albeit seems limited to silver Alox); as does KnifeCenter out of Fredericksburg VA; also Cutlery Shoppe out of Boise Idaho. Google search will give others; but this probably makes the point!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

20. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I have one, it's a really nice EDC knife.

[​IMG]

313, Rebel, Gary Gross and 1 other person like this.