1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Scissors in Skeletool!

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by AK Adventurer, Sep 15, 2013.

1. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Heya folks,
    So, yeah, didn't have the Skele for 5 min before I was looking at doing this mod, and maybe an hour before I had it apart trying things out... :oops::rofl:
    Started with the Surge scissors, which were handy... No go.

The back bar the knife sits on is too far down the frame for the Surge scissors or the spring to hit… I couldn't see a good way of notching them to sit against it either. With the spring on top, it is closer than with it under, but still no go.

With the spring on top, the scissors piece tang would push against the lock in use, and stay open, but there still isn't any way to fit the spring to be under tension.

I got a lot of pics of it Not working if anyone is interested;
    http://ak-adventurer.net/2013/09/14/scissors-in-skeletool-surge-is-a-no-go/

Wingman scissors didn't work either, for the same reasons as the Surge scissors, and I was so close to the same problems, I didn't bother to take pics.

BUT!
    Vic scissors do work! The lock tab doesn't work as you would think, but it does work. In fact it works perfectly; not for keeping the scissors from closing, but for keeping them from opening too far.

[​IMG]

Here, you can see(I hope!) where if you open the scissors, and hold the tab down so the scissors clear it and go over, how they open too far.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here below, you can see how if you just let the tab pop up, it catches in the side of the tang, and provides a over travel stop. It actually does keep it from closing, but not at full open, it will push close it to 90deg open position then stop. This set of scissors is cut perfectly to fit on a Wave, later I will get a new set to cut, to better fit this frame.

But it works well enough for now! :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Luis J, masofnos, Gilatabar and 13 others like this.
  2. MCKiNNEY

MCKiNNEY Empty Pockets

Nice mod!

I got really excited when I read the title thinking that you kept the blade and somehow added scissors. Regardless it's a cool mod! Nice job!

AK Adventurer likes this.
  3. AK Adventurer

Thanks!

Lol, nope I'm not That good...
    Yet. ;)

warchild likes this.
  4. Sphero

Sphero Loaded Pockets

Nice job guy.

5. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Double like:) Cool mod! :cool:

6. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

excellent idea! (me too thought you managed to retain the blade :D ). Such a perfect companion for a serious folder or fixed blade!

7. AK Adventurer

8. tobyk1989

tobyk1989 Loaded Pockets

I don't own a decent standalone knife so the 154CM blade in my Skeletool is too big a sacrifice to lose but this is a cool mod!

9. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

Great job buddy!:D when you're like us and already carry a knife the scissors mod makes that twice as useful!!

10. MCKiNNEY

MCKiNNEY Empty Pockets

Your making want to spend more money AK Adventurer!

Now I want to carry a dedicated folder and do this mod. I need bigger pockets!

11. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

You might wanna rummage around MultiTool.org for inspiration, I know at least one of the modding maniacs geniuses there did one with scissors *and* kept the knife blade.

12. AK Adventurer

Ya, I used to be one of the maniacs that hung out over there ;), there is a LOT of cool mods there.

Thats one reason I knew it could probably make this mod work before I started, I found someone else at MTO had already tried it. They just enlarged the pivot hole in the scissors, so it didn't engage the lock tab, mine worked out better because I had moved the hole as I enlarged it when I fit it on the Wave-- I got lucky.

A couple cool skele builds I've seen over there are these two;
    http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=20842.0

Really want to try the hammer fill piece like in this one, if I can find time.
    http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,37093.0.html

13. DeepBlue

DeepBlue Loaded Pockets

Well, After AK reminded us that this was possible on another thread, I just had to have a go.

This required the sacrifice of one Victorinox Huntsman (cheapest SAK I could quickly locate with scissors). First time I've killed a SAK, so prising off scales and drilling rivets of a perfectly serviceable SAK was a bit weird.

Now done. With some pics of explanation if you care to try. Total time about one and a half hours.

Below is the grinding work on the pivot. A normal SAK pivot hole (large blade) is shown above. So it's a fair bit of grinding (has to go to a diameter of 5.63mm). I used solid tungsten carbide burrs in a Dremel. Not much else made an impression; I killed a couple of high quality HSS bits on the way (HSS is not up to the job). Lots of care to keep it round and a precise fit. As AK advised, I enlarged the original hole not from the centre but moved the pivot centre towards the scissors (i.e. left on the photo). I did this so the original pivot hole is effectively touching the circumference (right side in photo) of new hole. A notch for the Skeletool scale lock lever then is cut on the right. Bit fiddly but do-able with a Dremel.

[​IMG]

Another view of the lock notch. Mainly done with a Dremel cutting disk. Not so pretty but it works and is never seen.

[​IMG]

Next shows assembled tool with the scissors open and lock bar just engaged with the notch above.

[​IMG]

This time, that lock bar and pivot from above. Note the bar only goes part way across. I did this because if a full cut out is made I was concerned that it would go past the tool. Actually, that's unlikely as it will stop against the pivot cover disk; as happens with the original knife. It's probably easier just to do that as cutting the partial notch is pretty fiddly. If I did it again, I'd use the original blade as a template and just carefully grind back. The original knife (on later and closer inspection) is done with a slight angle on the grind so the lock bar tightens up against it as it engages - clever!

[​IMG]

Final result: Scissors lock open and are perfectly easy to use with thumb.

[​IMG]

And they close up well. The lock bar holds them snug closed. Shifting the pivot 'forwards' also means that they fit in the available space without protruding (the scissors are a bit longer than the original knife measured against the original pivot position.)

[​IMG]

Now have a great tool for UK EDC alongside a non locking pocket knife (Enzo PK70 or Victorinox Alox Solo depending on mood).

Credit to AK for this one. I'm going to be carrying these for a good while!

14. Ben Rubinstein

I'm not as interested in scissors but I'd kill for a decent way to replace the blade with a metal file.

15. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

Closest to that is the Skeletool SX with the diamond file on the scale ;)

16. Ben Rubinstein

It's a 'soft' file for sanding down stuff, not for filing metal. Worse luck. :)

Think is I don't have any use for the knife. I'm covered for a knife to use on food or packaging and my Skeletool is usually greasy as heck from working on my bike to the extent that I wouldn't want to use the blade on anything but 'hard core' stuff. Which I don't have a need for anyway.

Gilatabar likes this.
  17. NKlamerus

NKlamerus Loaded Pockets

Looks good.

I know my buddies over at multitool.org would be drooling!

We do have a member who built scissors, a hammer, a flashlight, and a swivel holster for his.

This looks a lot simpler and I might have to give it a try.

DeepBlue, AK Adventurer and Gilatabar like this.
  18. AK Adventurer

Sweet work! Much cleaner job than I did, by far!

had to laugh too, a cheap Huntsman off of ebay was what I killed for my scissors! :rofl:

vegassprky and DeepBlue like this.
  19. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

Look good, want to try this on my charge, put the wingman sissors on it, but they can't cut much more than paper

20. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

Man I always adore the dirt under your nails :). Proofs you're hardworking dude.:cool: