1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Scissors Fans: Where Do You Actually Use Them?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by emrah, Jan 7, 2014.

1. emrah

emrah Loaded Pockets

First off, I'm relatively new here, so I must start off by saying I'm not asking this to be a smart-:censored: or step on toes, but I'm genuinely curious. The question is for all fans of scissors on multitools: where and when do you actually use them?

Let me back up. It seems most EDC/Multitool type reviews end up with a comment on scissors; size, lack of, leverage, etc. And there are some that are absolutely, ape-dung apoplectic if scissors are omitted from a multitool.

My question is, when and why do you use scissors when a perfectly functioning knife will do? And I'm not talking knifeless MT's either. I, for one, ONLY like small, like really small, scissors like on the Wave (bordering on almost too big), or the PS4 Squirt, Vic Classic, etc. They are good for trimming nails, the wild facial hair that refuses to be tamed, or that tickling nose hair. The scissors on the much-loved (not by me) Juice S2 for example, are (not to be gross), much too big for previously mentioned nostril-insertion.

Opening packages? Knife. I've never felt it was "safer" to snip, snip, snip away at plastic packaging (as your bottom scissor finger glides along a sharp, jagged edge) than use a nice, sharp blade and use a few long strokes. Cutting paper? Sharp knife. String or thread? Again, knife. Any little thread too short to do the one handed "capture-the-thread-between-the-blade-and-thumb-and-slice" routine is too small for me to worry about.

So? What of it? Why choose the scissors over the knife. The obvious "duh" answer is "I need to cut something". I get that. But why the preference over the knife? Safety? Comfort? Do tell...

Emrah

MrOG likes this.
  2. willbilly

willbilly Loaded Pockets

I use them on zip ties sometimes

3. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Haha. This won't be helpful but I actually like scissors even less than you and always wondered the same thing. A couple of my MTs have them but I've never used them. I've thought about replacing the ones on my Charge with an awl or something.

Elduka likes this.
  4. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Finger nails, or anything intricate with paper (wave gen 1 has awesome scissors, even 14 years after I bought it!)

5. jerit

jerit Loaded Pockets

The scissors allow the manufacturer to charge more the knife...

6. will m
    • In Omnia Paratus

will m Loaded Pockets

Scissors are mandatory for me and you already got the reason. My finger nails are always getting ripped a cracked.

7. Russ Prechtl

Russ Prechtl EDC Junkie!!!!!

1. Mustache Hair
    2. Nails
    3. Nose Hair
    4. Ear Hair
    5. Skin flaps on peeling and sore cuticles
    6. Cutting paper at work (small sections, card stock, etc)
    7. Cutting tape neatly and more safely.
    8. Cutting plastic cable ties/tie wraps.
    9. Cutting plastic banding.
    10. Cutting strings under 2000 lb. super sacks of dry materials without having to stick my hands under.
    11. Loaning to SWMBO for her cutting tasks every time she asks for them.
    12. Opening blister packs more safely than with a knife.
    ....And 1,001 more uses. I'm one of those guys who thinks it's useless without scissors. (A girl, right Vesp?) :D

8. micahtbyrd

micahtbyrd Loaded Pockets

Not a huge scissors fan either, as in I can live without. My edc multitool for work which gets all the use is a leatherman st 300. I carried a sak rambler for the scissors every day for months and never used them. I have used the ones on my wave and blast a few times to trim fibers off the broom in the house. My wife and sister edc vic classics, and leatherman Micra's, and all they use is the scissors. My wife told me the other day she uses her Micra most often to trim candle wicks. I would guess most choose scissors as a more civilized way too hack through everyday items in public vs using your teeth like an animal. And scissors aren't manly right, I type with a bandaid on cause I cut my self opening the mail....lol jk

Russ Prechtl likes this.
  9. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

10. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Scissors look cool and the move back and forth. Some even make a cool slicey noise when you squeeze them.Don't even get me started on how cool those cigar cutter scissors are on the SAK ! Until they make a MT with a Spirograph I will stick to scissors. :D

FL Woods Bum and Russ Prechtl like this.
  11. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Bingo.

Its a captive edge, you can't slip, and cut past what your trimming/cutting and hit whats behind it. It provides its own backing for cutting where you can't back the object, or what the backing is will be damaged OR will damage the knife edge. Cutting zip ties out of packaging, or on wire harnesses and bundles is a prime example. So is cutting packing tape and plastic wrap from palleted and packaged items/tools/equiptment.

When my hands are covered in grease, blood, oil, water, or its -50F, or times where I have had all the above and needed to cut a cord/rope/wire tie, pallet band, wire, and I can slip or make a mistake, I can't stab myself(as easily) or remove any fingers with scissors.

To each his own, YMMV.

MrOG, FL Woods Bum, willbilly and 8 others like this.
  12. drewkeys

drewkeys Loaded Pockets

I use them daily for many tasks involving different types of paper. I also use them during cooking preparation sometimes.

13. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Almost every woman I have ever discussed this with has said her main use for whatever SAK or multi-tool she carries is for scissors, except for one who uses her Minichamp pen most.In fact, my wife had her Squirt S4 more than a month before discovering there other tools on board. Not the most used implement, but my m-t scissors do get used often to trim my mustache and nose hair at the gym or otherwise away from home, so I am not too concerned about being taken for girly :p .

14. emrah

emrah Loaded Pockets

I'll agree with this. My wife saw me fiddling with the scissors on the Juice S2 and said, "COOL! Now THAT'S the one I want in my car. You can have the other one (an older PST II)"

Emrah

micahtbyrd likes this.
  15. TarHeelBrit
    • In Omnia Paratus

TarHeelBrit Loaded Pockets

I chose a LM Style CS over the PS because of the good scissors I use them for;

Cutting zip ties.
    Cutting string, cord.
    Trimming nails.
    Opening those lousy clam shell packaging things.
    Trim excess packing tape.
    Etc.

I prefer scissors over a knife for some jobs as I get more control.

16. Jerry L

Jerry L EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a folding scissors and the ones on the MT,and i use them alot ts the reason i bought a SAK tinkerer im always messing with paracord or some kind of cord at work home where ever and use the scissors for that

17. IThinkTooMuch

IThinkTooMuch Loaded Pockets

For materials where I have access to both sides, scissors tend to be better then knives. Thread and medium weight cord, paper, clam shell packages, tape, and especially cut resistant stuff like zip and twist ties and wire are better handled with scissors. Packages, envelopes, heavy rope, wood, foams, food, etc are better suited to a knife. Also, accidents involving scissors tend to be less severe then accidents involving knives, and I have enough cut scars.

I carry a micra or a tinker deluxe especially for the scissors.

18. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

better control when cutting things.
    Dont always have a hard surface to cut on, or that youd WANT to cut on
    With scissors I can control my cuts better with paper, thin foam etc

TarHeelBrit likes this.
  19. Daz

Daz Loaded Pockets

Like others, I find them incredibly handy. A knife can do most (all?) of the things scissors can do, but there are certain tasks like cutting plastic ties that it's much easier to use scissors. It also reduces the wear and required maintenance on the knife blade, so that it's sharp for when you /do/ have a task that scissors won't cut it for.

20. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Absolutely. My Leatherman Wave's scissors are about the only thing I'm comfortable cutting my fingernails with. They're much safer when cutting zip-ties that are pulled tight in a small space. They're great for that stray beard hair or nose hair that tickles your face during the day.

I actually just bought a Leatherman Micra for my keychain so I can have scissors without having to have the full sized MT.

Russ Prechtl and Daz like this.