1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Schrade Tough Tool multitool

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Tallboyjim, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

I thought this was quite interesting - I was giving serious consideration to de-knifing a wingman or pulling the trigger on a juice (I nearly do it every 6 months or so - they're just too much money for what they are!!) when I happened on this. Pliers, scissors and a non-locking knife in a rather odd package. Is it new to my UK retailer of choice or is it just new?

https://www.heinnie.com/schrade-tough-tool-multi-tool

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Looks like a LM knockoff. Schrade must have been prowling the trade shows in Guandong China...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Tallboyjim likes this.
  3. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Does indeed have a leatherman feel to it... but decent size pliers AND scissors! I dont think ive seen that on a leatherman just yet!

Tallboyjim likes this.
  4. CarpentryHero

CarpentryHero Loaded Pockets

Leatherman Surge had scissors stock, not that I used them much before switching to the Mutt.

Shrade isn't high end by any stretch, I'd hazard to guess the Leatherman Wingman would still be better quality than any hand tool made by Shrade.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  5. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Yeh im not a fan of those tiny scissors.. they are pretty much useless for anything other than cutting a stray thread. These Schrade scissors look decent sized.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  6. CarpentryHero

CarpentryHero Loaded Pockets

The Surge scissors are a fair bit larger than the Wave or charge scissors and they are very sharp, I've cut poly and cardboard with them with no problems

Tallboyjim likes this.
  7. Tallboyjim

It's the slip joint that appeals as much as anything. Multitools of any quality with proper pliers and a slipjoint aren't common. I still might splurge and report back. Decisions!

8. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

I have a long and good relationship with heinnie Haines products, but there's no way I would be throwing 40-odd quid at them for a Chinese multi tool.

Get a 'proper' leatherman, remove the blade if needed, and carry a SAK to accompany it!

Tallboyjim likes this.
  9. The Sixth Beatle

The Sixth Beatle Loaded Pockets

Seconded.

I have a Schrade folder and it's cheapness shines through.

Heinnie do a bladeless LM Rebar. It's not LM's finest offering but I'm willing to bet it's better than that Schrade

Tallboyjim and shmook like this.
  10. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

[QUOTE='t "Westerdutch, post: 2613794, member: 22140"]Yeh im not a fan of those tiny scissors.. they are pretty much useless for anything other than cutting a stray thread. These Schrade scissors look decent sized.[/QUOTE]
    You can't EDC a Wingman in the UK and Leatherman et all UK legal EDC offerings put the screws to you price wise.
    Leatherman Rebar £65.
    Leatherman Rebar EDC £78.
    And I would dispute the comments about Shrade quality. The bits I have purchased have been better than decent, particularlyat their price point.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  11. Tallboyjim

You can't EDC a Wingman in the UK and Leatherman et all UK legal EDC offerings put the screws to you price wise.
    Leatherman Rebar £65.
    Leatherman Rebar EDC £78.
    And I would dispute the comments about Shrade quality. The bits I have purchased have been better than decent, particularlyat their price point.[/QUOTE]

I'd normally EDC a skeletool for work purposes but I've a job coming up in central London on a Saturday night - I know I'm working and it's legit carry but I've downtime and anything I'm using I'll have to carry and it's a conversation I'd rather not have with a policeman if I can avoid it.

I'm going to go through a jar of washers and de-knife a wingman that doesn't get used much anyway. And it's cheaper;););)

But I very much appreciate the input from everyone - schrade is a brand I know very little about.

12. Vidar Mortensen

Vidar Mortensen Empty Pockets

I bought that very same tool some months ago from China. No Schrade marking, and no £40+ price either. (More like USD 25-30 or thereabouts if I remember correctly). The quality is quite decent and with some interesting design solutions too.

Not that many tools, but those which are there are ok for the most part. (The file is kind of ehh.., and the bottle opener very tiny. Plier, knife and scissor seems fine. No locks anywhere by the way. The tool feels sturdy and tight - that said I haven't tried it with anything tough or nasty).

Im pretty sure this originated from one of the better Chinese factories. Whether Schrade just import and put their brand on it in the US, or whether the Chinese sell a Schrade design elsewhere is hard to tell. (I'll go ahead and guess the first one).

13. Vidar Mortensen

Vidar Mortensen Empty Pockets

Just checked. I remembered wrong: It costs USD 17 including freight, and can be had in a variety of colors.

The one thing you might miss is a proper size PH screwdriver.

14. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

I'd norB-)mally EDC a skeletool for work purposes but I've a job coming up in central London on a Saturday night - I know I'm working and it's legit carry but I've downtime and anything I'm using I'll have to carry and it's a conversation I'd rather not have with a policeman if I can avoid it.

I'm going to go through a jar of washers and de-knife a wingman that doesn't get used much anyway. And it's cheaper;););)

But I very much appreciate the input from everyone - schrade is a brand I know very little about.[/QUOTE]
    If you are wearing obvious work clothing, like a Buisness logoed shirt, you dont have to worry about Plod. Also the chances of being searched in London are greatly exaggerated. I've only had problems once in London, and that was with a Special Constable. Police powers had just changed and he was throwing his weight around. I told him to ....off when he tried to ..... me around.

Tallboyjim likes this.
  15. Tallboyjim

I will be wearing a logoed shirt as it goes and you're right - I'll very probably be absolutely fine. But I de-knifed the wingman anyway the other day as I'd found the perfect sized washer and I wanted to give it a go and it's turned out pretty well. I'm sure it will have other applications!