1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

School me on steel toes.

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Uprightman, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Redwings are the rolls Royce of boots, but it takes a while to break them in. I also have Keen boots. The best part about them is the steel toe and soft toe both have this coating over the toe for added protection. It makes the soft toe look like a steel toe! I can't wear steel toe because of my very wide feet, and I do a lot of stairs and climbing, and it just plain hurts after a while. My only complaint about the Keens is the sole wears weirdly. It kinda chunks as opposed to slowly abrading away. I have had them almost a year, and still perfectly serviceable, and because they are one of the most comfortable and light boot I have worn, I will buy them again.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  2. Pete3

Pete3 Loaded Pockets

I like redback of australia. Very quality leather, slip resistant, steel toe, good price, and comfortable. But they are slip-ons, if that works for you.

3. Chimay

Chimay Loaded Pockets

I've had a pair of Ariats for years. Wore them daily while working in a prison for a year, a lot of walking. Now I wear them during winter time or for camping, out door work etc. They've held up very well and have a composite toe.

4. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

Working in EMS for several years I wore a few different kinds of boots. It doesn't seem right, but the most comfortable ones, often worn for more 24 hours straight, were the 5.11 ATAC boots. Not really a brand I would recommend for much, but I really loved those boots. Still have them, though I no longer have much use for them.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk HD

5. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Btw, how's the sizing of Red Wing boots? I read somewhere that they run a bit large, is that true?

6. RiskMgr

RiskMgr Loaded Pockets

+1 on Red Wings here too. I work with a wide variety of contractors and farmers, and RW's seem to be the preferred boot. I certainly enjoy mine. You mentioned food service. Will you be directly involved with the food production? If so, you may consider going for a wider tread. It'll be easier to knock the bits of food out of the tread. Also, you said the HR lady just said "steel toes." Anymore, "steel toes" is slang for safety-toed shoes. Under most conditions, composite-toed safety shoes (not just boots anymore) provide just as much protection as steel-toed. They should be marked with ASTM F2413 or F2413-11 (probably on the tongue). ASTM is the organization that writes the standards for composite-toed safety shoes. ANSI (ANSI Z41.1) does the same for steel-toed shoes. I personally prefer composite over steel, but steel aren't all that bad.

Good luck with your new gig!

7. Uprightman

Uprightman Loaded Pockets

Thanks! I'm quite excited. I am not sure how much interaction with the food I'll be having on a daily basis, but I'll keep the wider tread in mind.

8. landwire
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

+1 for Redwing. I used to work in a machine shop where I would spit boots out every 3-4 months. I went to Redwing and told the sales rep what type of work I was doing. While my foot was physically one size, she made some recommendations that I should get boots with box toes. The safety portion of the boot is more square. It still round and looks like a normal boot, however, there is much more room for my toes. I got maybe another year left in them. The insoles and shoe laces have been replaced several times, but that it. They are more comfortable then my hiking boots.

Uprightman likes this.
  9. Old Soul

Old Soul Loaded Pockets

Went through the same thing as land wire. I typically wear a 11.5 extra wide (U.S. Size) and the rep at the Red Wing store said I needed a 12 regular. Fit great and felt awesome. I rotate between them and my Keens now.

10. Magic8ball

Magic8ball Loaded Pockets

I've liked my Redwings as far as comfort, but they haven't done as well as others on the waterproof side. I've loved every pair of Keens I've ever worn, and their steel toe's have been more comfortable than most for me because of the wider toe box.
    Take a look at Thorogood boots. Lots of styles to choose from and made in the USA. Most are priced from $150-200

11. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I like my SteelBlue boots - the ones I am wearing at the moment are "airport friendly" have a composite toe and minimal metal in the fittings.
    Very comfortable, much lighter than steel, and just as impact resistant.
    They are my everyday boot, and I wear through a set every 18 months or so (soles worn down smooth)

12. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I wear safety toed boots while visiting construction sites and many times when working around the house with heavy objects. I prefer the composite toe over steel - lighter, electrically insulated and still meets OSHA rewuirements. I rotate through my shoes and would not wear the same pair every day. I like Converse/Reebok for light weight boots. Danners are great when weight isn't a problem and are more durable in my experience.

Sent using Tapatalk... embrace the typos

13. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

I always hated steel toed boots because I have duck feet and the cap edge hit right on my little toe, so I stayed away from those jobs that required them.

14. Fabregas485
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fabregas485 Loaded Pockets

I am not allowed steel toe purely due to high current at ground level(Powered rails), but dewalt are my current go to brand (I think its the HAMMER ones I use).

I have been using them a while and yet to feel any pain on my heels (which was a problem I have had with most boots, even when standing on protective matting).

15. Tegan's Dad
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

I wear Redwing shoes with safety toe, slip resistant bottoms that are static-dissipative due to the electrical lab requirements at work. They sell replacement liners for $10 that give all the cushion back, and they will apply treatment every 6 months for you for free (if you can find a store). The company may have a relationship with a boot manufacturer to have a truck come by and do the services for you as well.

16. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

I work in a warehouse and have either had to stand on concrete floors or metal grates for the last 14 years. Steel toed boots aren't required, but are recommended, and as I broke a toe while not wearing steel toes 8-10 years ago, I usually wear them now. The last two pair have been Timberland Pro Powerwelt boots picked up locally for $100-120. First pair lasted 2.5-3 years, 2nd pair going on two years now. I have rotated other work shoes/boots in with them from time to time, but the Timberlands have been on my feet 80-90% of the time while I'm at work the last 5 years.

Uprightman likes this.
  17. Chimyz

Chimyz Loaded Pockets

If money is no object, Blundstone makes two pair, one with steel toe and a second that also has metatarsal protection. I do tree removals and use them outdoors daily. They aren't the best for the cold winter, but work great throughout 3 other seasons. Having the metatarsal in my kind of work is a bonus too. Buy them smaller as the width does stretch out.

18. EricP

EricP Loaded Pockets

Weird server error.

19. EricP

EricP Loaded Pockets

I don't think so. My boots are a size 10 D and I normally wear size 9-10.

20. Rasthor

Rasthor Loaded Pockets

Have had to wear safety shoes longer than I care to think about. Redwing, Wolverine, Thorogood, etc. are all good shoes. Like everyone else suggests, find a pair that's most comfortable to you and go with it. Back when I worked for a food prep place, we didn't have to have waterproof shoes, we had to wear rubber pull on boots over our safety shoes that could be scrubbed and sanitized whenever we entered one of the prep areas. They all had boot cleaning stations just inside the doors. If that's the case on your new job, you might want to think about that when you get your shoes. Leather soled shoes are way easier to get in and out of those boots than my rubber soled tennis shoes.