1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

School me on nato straps

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Evil D, May 13, 2015.

1. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I'm still not the most experienced with various brands, and I know most will just say go eBay, but my experience so far with Maratac has been fantastic. I only have one other off brand to compare them to, but the difference is extremely obvious and it's not hard to see where the extra money goes. As far as no name straps from eBay and such go, I'm sure you could find equal quality straps for less, but I also think the chances of finding lesser quality straps is far more likely.

I like that they stamp their name on their products. Sometimes you pay for a name, but we're not talking about Nikes here, this is a small obscure little market with so much competition. To me, that name laser etched on the buckle says they want the world to know their product apart from the rest, and I like that. The difference was only $5 per strap from the no name that I bought at the mall, and for something I'm wearing every single day, that's an acceptable price.

SJS101 and Puinsai like this.
  2. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Didn't want to make a new thread for this...

I noticed the other day, my strap smells like a dirty sock lol. I have a pretty intense job and I sweat it out on a daily basis. I tried washing it in the sink with Dawn but it barely knocked the stink out. I guess I could machine wash it, but I hate waiting that long. Anyone have any faster solutions? I guess the smart thing would just be to order a few more straps so I can rotate them. What until then?

3. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Can you smell it in a significant way when it's on your wrist and you're not sniffing the band itself? If yes, I would get a few extras and rotate them- wear one until it starts to stink, switch while strap 1 is in the wash, one in reserve just in case. If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just wear it until the weekend and throw it in one of your pants pockets when you wash them. I'm sure my Zulu strap doesn't smell so hot but I haven't noticed any foul odor emanating from my watch when I wear the strap, so it doesn't bother me.

4. Puinsai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Puinsai Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the recommendation CatsTide...
    [​IMG]

malraux72 and CatsTide like this.
  5. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Not really, the problem I guess is that I happen to also have a rather large beard and mustache, which I'm OCD about playing with so my hand/wrist is often close to my face :rolleyes:

I'll probably just order a couple more straps. I've got the OD green strap now and really like it a lot, but it does look good with black.

thatotherguy likes this.
  6. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

i have good experiences with soap plus baking soda and brush. take the natostrap off the watch and soak it in very hot water and baking soda. after 15 minutes, take the brush (old toothbrush will work perfect) and load it with a lot of soap. give it a good scrub. after that, change the water and rinse it really good. (if you have oxyclean around, you could try a second round) this will work with smelly paracord bands, too.

theirishboxer likes this.
  7. thatotherguy

Word to the wise, if you're going to make a paracord band, choose just about any color but white... it was the only color I had handy at the time and it started looking REALLY ratty REALLY fast.

I've been wearing my 8926 on my black Maratac Zulu band for the day (because of this thread) and I had forgotten how comfy this band is... I'm loving the black and steel with black look too. Definitely a nice change of pace from the steel bracelet I've had on this watch for months and months.

CatherineM likes this.
  8. Damn_Yankee

Damn_Yankee Loaded Pockets

Thanks for this. Just what I needed.

9. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the rotation...no idea how to correct that on my phone.

I really like the ducati stripe, but I like the setup of the other one. Instead of the normal NATO hardware, it just has a buckle and a cloth sheath for the tail. Whatever those are, I like them at least as much.

And I have no idea why I started wearing it on the inside of my wrist...it just seems more natural with a strap. Bracelets, I always wear the watch face out.

EXCALIBUR and Puinsai like this.
  10. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Nice looking Omega Seamaster. Q: Wearing your watch on the inside of your wrist, don't you worry about the dangers of desk diver scratches to the crystal? Please advise. Thank you.

moostapha likes this.
  11. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

EXCALIBUR, Thanks. Love it...had it for 19 years or so.

I don't really wear it when I'm at my desk...it's not comfortable to type as much as I do with anything on my wrist. So, it sits next to my keyboard.

EXCALIBUR likes this.
  12. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Your Omega Seamaster still looks new for 19 years young.

13. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

EXCALIBUR, a lot of it is. I sent it in to omega last year for service, and they ended up replacing just about everything but the case.

EXCALIBUR likes this.
  14. malraux72

malraux72 Loaded Pockets

Where did you send it and what was the turnaround ?
    thnx

15. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I went through one of the boutiques in Atlanta. I don't know if it went to the service center (which I think is in new york) or back to Switzerland.

It was gone a long time...several weeks...maybe 6. It also wasn't cheap. About 1/3 of the price of a new one.

16. Puinsai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Puinsai Loaded Pockets

17. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

So far my only complaint is that they stink. I have a pretty sweaty job so it sees a lot of sweat, and no amount of washing seems to get rid of the sock smell.

18. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Try a little deodorant / antiperspirant on your wrist and keep it a bit loose to allow airflow. also a quick spray of lysol will kill the bacteria festering in there.

19. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

It's funny, I ran it through the wash today in a pants pocket, and it smells like fresh laundry, but I swear I still smell the stinky sock smell. Oh well, it's better than it was.

I was thinking earlier today about the idea that this style band keeps the watch from falling off in the event of a spring failure, but what about getting the band snagged on something? Is anyone concerned about breaking a wrist or even worse getting degloved because their watch doesn't break off? There's a bit of built in safety with a standard style watch band, and I think even those who are wearing expensive watches would rather see the watch hit the ground than potentially lose their hand.

20. thatotherguy

IMHO, if you're in a situation where there's any safety concern over wearing a watch or getting your watch caught in a piece of machinery, you shouldn't be wearing a watch at all, no matter what it's on or how easy it would break away. In those situations, put the watch in your pocket, then put it back on the wrist when there isn't a chance of it getting snagged. You might give your watch a scratch or two (depends on what you have in your pockets with the watch) but it's worth it.