1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

School me on nato straps

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Evil D, May 13, 2015.

1. stepewolf

stepewolf Loaded Pockets

I just put a set on my work G-shock. You will need to buy adapters and and if you have those protection things under the bars you must remove them but it is way better that replacing the strap every year. I have been wearing g-shocks at work for the last 20 years and have spent more money on straps than the watchs themelves.

2. ArnieJB

ArnieJB EDC Junkie!!!

I find the DaLuca Zulu and the StrapCode Zulu bands are both pretty good quality. The nylon is thicker but very comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Puinsai
    • In Omnia Paratus

Puinsai Loaded Pockets

Please school me on a great source to score quality NATO straps.
    Thank you...

4. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Try clockworksynergy and natostrap

Puinsai likes this.
  5. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I just got two Maratac NATOs in the mail today. They're a good bit thinner and stiffer/rougher than the no name mall Zulu I've been wearing (which for the record does seem to be of pretty nice quality). Now I'm not sure if I like the squarish NATO buckles and loops or if I prefer the rounded Zulu loops. I'm kinda wishing I had got the 3 ring Zulu style NATOs that Maratac make. Anyway, I got one in black and one in OD green and I can't decide which looks best. They're both super nice. Gonna take some breaking in though. The holes are drilled very nicely though and all the spots that have been melt welded are very smooth. They aren't as comfy as the other strap since they're stiff, but they aren't scratchy.

In other news, it only took me about a week to scratch the crystal on my Seiko. I guess it was bound to happen.

:banghead:

6. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

eBay…

7. SJS101

SJS101 Loaded Pockets

I am not a fan of these. Quality is lacking compared to NatoStrapCo, Maratac and Panatime. Specifically, the rings on these are very "loose" feeling and flop around quite a bit. Hard to explain but there is a noticeable difference when I wear it compared to others.

8. Claptrap

Claptrap Loaded Pockets

I.W. Suisse / Nato International. Great straps and fair prices. Wearing one on my Planet Ocean right now.

9. bitonebit

bitonebit Loaded Pockets

I always buy Nato straps and cut the extra part off. I like it because the watch sits much closer to my wrist (I don't like any wiggle room). And I can position all the metal pieces under my wrist.

This is where I cut:
    [​IMG]

This is about how far I position the watch below the rings:
    [​IMG]

All the 'hardware' is then located under the wrist:
    [​IMG]
    Instead of right on top of the watch which I always thought felt/looked weird.

Resulting in:
    [​IMG]

10. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

That's an interesting idea. I'm gonna try that with one of mine. I'm not crazy about the looped end, as it sticks out as far as the watch itself and I've even tried wetting it and using a hair dryer to dry it while folded to get it to lay down flatter but it only helped so much.

11. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

Yeah, thats my only peeve with the design itself, the buckle ending up on the side of my wrist... Why can't they add about 1" to the buckle side before the buckle??

If i ever get around to building my custom integral bund leather Nato, thats the plan, to add about 1" between the watch area and the buckle to keep it off the side of my wrist.

12. karlito
    • +1 Supporter

karlito Loaded Pockets

Agreed. With a nato, the watch is locked into a certain location on the strap. Depending on your wrist size may put the buckle and keepers in an uncomfortable or unsitely location; like the side of the wrist over the bone. Removing the lower part allows you to position the watch to your liking.

13. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I misinterpreted that post..I thought you cut off the extra at the end that gets folded under the loops. I actually like that the buckle is on the side of my wrist. One thing about watches that always bugs me is that I type a lot and I hate having the buckle under my wrist when I type. Being on the side pretty much eliminated that issue. I just want the fold to lay flatter or I may just trim it.

14. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I got a 5 ring Maratac in the mail today that is "Zulu style" and uses the oval rings instead of the square Nato style, and I cut off the extra bottom piece (I basically ended up with a standard Zulu strap). The strap is a bit thicker and uses heavier nylon than my Maratac Natos, but with only 1 strip of nylon under the watch it's still thinner under the watch than the Nato. The oval rings aren't quite as low profile, but they're a lot more comfortable IMO, and they seem to hold the end of the strap down much better. I also shortened it to eliminate the fold at the end of the strap, so it buckles like a traditional band now. The whole package is much lower profile than the Natos I've been using, which is a big plus for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Evil D, Jun 7, 2015
  15. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

there are several online vendors that offer a large selection of styles and materials. I don't know if we are allowed to suggest vendors like that but if you google NATO straps most of them come up

16. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I usually take my watch off if I'm going to be typing a while. No matter what I do, it's insanely uncomfortable, especially since I think it's more comfortable to have the face on the inside of my wrist when using a strap (as opposed to a bracelet).

It works with the hardware on the sides of my wrist, but it's still not perfect.

17. wolfhunter3877

wolfhunter3877 Loaded Pockets

Here's my wrist shot with my black NATO.

[​IMG]

18. Colorodo

Colorodo Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Evil D likes this.
  19. Colorodo

Colorodo Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Evil D likes this.
  20. CatsTide