1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

School me on nato straps

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Evil D, May 13, 2015.

1. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

So I've been lurking about trying to see what all the fuss is about. Aside from being comfortable, what's the big deal? My main gripe is how the band goes under the case...I don't want anything that makes the watch stand up higher off my wrist. What am I missing?

Kenny, Tony Sal and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  2. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

Well, there are single piece zulu type strap (without the second flap to loop under the main strap) so it stay low profile. But I get you on not wanting the wear the strap if the watch ended up sitting high off the wrist.

Its less of a problem if the watch is (relatively) low profile, and if its the NATO strap (instead of the thicker zulu NATO strap)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like NATO strap cause they can completely change how the watch look and feel. They are secure because if one spring bar fail, your watch won't fly off the wrist. Also they are (relatively) cheap to buy and replace. Buy a bunch and change them as they fit. :)

One thing though, wearing nylon type strap may mark up the caseback eventually. Or if the caseback is PVD coated, the coating may rub off due to wear.

3. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

That is one of the best photos of a Sub and Nato strap. Would you please tell us where we can buy the strap? Please advise. Thank you.

malraux72 likes this.
  4. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

So that strap doesn't go under the watch at all? I like that idea. What exactly am I looking for to find that particular style?

5. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Best thing i've always liked about these kind of straps is that even if one of the strap-springs breaks you will still not lose your watch! But they are also comfortable, easy to swap out for different colors and they can go in the washing machine when they get filthy ;)

A4VC likes this.
  6. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

The strap does go under the watch... Over one spring bar, under the watch, over the other spring bar towards the buckle.

Weej likes this.
  7. SJS101

SJS101 Loaded Pockets

1. Extremely comfortable
    2. They look great
    3. You can change the look of your watch without getting a new watch
    4. Safety, safety, safety. Only takes one spring bar failure and watching your watch fly off your arm onto concrete or into a river/lake/ocean to appreciate what Nato's/Zulu's do for you
    5. Summer time is Zulu time for me. Extreme heat in South Louisiana can make a steel bracelet that fit perfectly in the morning be way too tight or borderline uncomfortable by midday if out in the sun. Easy to readjust for a better fit.
    6. They make 2 piece NATO/ZULU straps if it's the look you like. But they are no more secure than any other strap or bracelet so get the real thing.
    That's all I got for now :)

gadgetjunky and Nick4305 like this.
  8. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

Like you and the others, I love Nato straps for all the same reasons. The only minor drawback to Nato straps is when they get wet. They tend to stretch and take a long time to dry.

theirishboxer and Weej like this.
  9. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

I'll agree with everything here Except the comfortable part... the nylon ones are so rough! Especially the edges... Thats one reason why my Nato is leather.

Weej likes this.
  10. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

This is why my Seiko band got replaced by an inexpensive Walmart leather band last night. After 3 days of wearing it, I just got sick of my wrist itching. If I do go the strap route it'll definitely be leather.

AK Adventurer and Weej like this.
  11. Lellobeetle

Lellobeetle Loaded Pockets

EDC Gunner on YouTube has some videos on NATO straps

Weej likes this.
  12. aerosxl

aerosxl Loaded Pockets

Anybody ever put a NATO strap on a GSHOCK? I kind of want to put one on my (GSHOCK-esque) Casio but I think it might look silly

13. stuffgeek

stuffgeek Loaded Pockets

Easy, inexpensive way to change the look of your watch. Love the original Bond stripe.

14. A4VC

A4VC Loaded Pockets

In the olden days, field watches and dive watches didn't have springbars, so you had to have a watch strap than went through the fixed bars or attached to each one, usually with screws through the separate straps, and they added the second loop allegedly to keep it from sliding around and to stow the excess strap. The NATO's were also arguably designed longer originally so you can wear it directly on your wrist or over the top of a glove and still see the time (pilots, navigators, divers, mountain climbers and later astronauts). Today, if you break a springbar, the watch and strap don't fall off, further damaging the watch or outright losing it. I'm still doing stuff that can, and has, broken spring bars so aside from the NATO looking cool, it serves a function. They are also more comfortable, IMHO, as they keep the watch about 2mm off the wrist for airflow when it's hot and reducing metal to skin contact when it's cold.

In reality, they just look awesome.

Sent from a device.

theirishboxer, damsdv and Evil D like this.
  15. SJS101

SJS101 Loaded Pockets

Yep. Doesn't look silly to me :). Bought the GShock Adapters on ebay and they came with a choice of 3 ring NATO. It's my beater!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

eahm, AK Adventurer and Lou_G like this.
  16. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I decoded to try one for the heck of it.

[​IMG]

I think I kind of like it. I wish the navy blue one I ordered with it came in the size it said it was instead of 2mm too big.

It's certainly a lot lighter than the bracelet. Unfortunately, the tightness I want to use is right in - between 2 holes. I wonder if I can find fancy, decent material colored nato-ish straps with Velcro instead.

17. SJS101

SJS101 Loaded Pockets

Yep. They do have velcro nylon straps. There are some sport straps that thread through the spring bars and some Bell and Ross style straps like the one pictured here that attach like standard straps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AK Adventurer likes this.
  18. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

Yeah....I've found a couple. The thing is that most of the NATO straps I've seen tend to be pretty decent material and most of the Velcro ones are super cheap.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  19. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

So I ran to the local mall last night and picked up a decent Zulu from a watch shop. They had a very small selection and even fewer in 22mm so I got a black one with one orange stripe down the middle. I wanted to at least try for myself before dismissing the idea.

And, I gotta say you guys are right, it's pretty great. I think I may order some NATOs, as I believe they're typically a little thinner and so being two straps under the watch ma not be much thicker than this Zulu is. Also if you read my other thread about the crown eating my wrist, the added height off the wrist seems to be helping a lot with that.

What pushed me to try was the failed spring bar safety. It occurred to me that one of my beloved G Shocks was ripped off my wrist a few years ago at the same job I'm doing now...not from a bar failure but I snagged it and ripped one of the rubber links in the bracelet. That watch was already beat up but the risk of having my watch ripped off is still very real.

So, is there any real advantage to the Maratac bands or is it just buying a name? I have 3 sitting in a shopping cart waiting to be ordered but it's like $55..

theirishboxer likes this.
  20. Serena

Serena EDC Junkie

I always order them on eBay, not expensive at all. I've got 3 different colors now, but mostly wear the blue Ducati stripe. Really like the fact you can just wash them and that you can hardly feel them…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]