1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Saving watch boxes?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by landwire, Mar 9, 2019.

1. landwire
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I recently come across the box for one of my watches. If it makes a difference or not, it for a Citizen Blue Angels Eco-Drive. I have no intentions of selling the watch. The watch currently has a home in a dedicated spot along with some other watches. In other words, the box is not being used and is taking up space. I'm trying to downsize stuff. If there is no reason to really keeping it, I'm tossing the box. I've tossed the boxes for all my other watches, but none of them were even close to the value or perceived prestige of this one.

If I had plans to sell the watch, or it was a safe queen, sure, I can see saving the box. For a daily use watch, what say you?

2. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Unless there is a warranty period where you might want to use the box for a return?

3. plumberroy

plumberroy Loaded Pockets

I have a coworker into watches I make fleece draw string bags that he stores watches in to protect them yet take up less room than boxes. I had made a bag to protect my inspection mirror. He ask if I could make something for watches

4. GoBlueCO1
    • +3 Supporter

GoBlueCO1 Loaded Pockets

I keep the boxes for majority of my EDC gear, especially firearms. To me, it adds slight value on the secondary market should you ever sell the item and is useful for insurance purposes should something get stolen. Having access to the warranty information is also a key reason.

Due to the number of boxes I tend to break mine down so they take up less room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I used to throw away all kind of boxes, for everything. However I´ve found watch people to be crazy people. They are completely hung up in boxes and tags and what not. I buy and sell watches regularly, so I´ve decided to keep watch boxes everything else that comes with a watch, because it really make the sales process much smoother. But I you are certain you´re not going to sell your watch, I don´t see any value in keeping the watch box.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  6. tbzbbt

tbzbbt Loaded Pockets

In Germany there was an expectation that an item sold second hand came with its packaging and even receipts. As such, I have kept boxes for many leatherman, flashlights, assorted knives, watches, pens and sunglasses. No idea why as I never trade. Maybe its because many of them come with a tiny accessory (flashlight spare clip and O-ring, watch with spare bracelet link) that would be impossible to locate and identify without a box. When a purge comes they will all be thrown out...

tbzbbt

Six String likes this.
  7. sl954

sl954 Empty Pockets

I keep all the boxes for watches, knives, and guns. I doubt it adds much value, but maybe someday.

8. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I keep them.
    I have no idea why.

They just sit in the back of my dresser drawer year after year. Then one day my wife discovers the empty boxes and gives me a funny look. After a one-sided conversation, the boxes are thrown into the recycle bin. The cycle is repeated every few years.

stockae92 and Moshe ben David like this.
  9. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Ask this guy how saving the box and paperwork worked out for him..

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

I keep all the boxes and paper. I also kept the windows stickers on my family van, which my family currently enjoying / destroying. I am pretty sure when its time for me to sell that van, the piece of window sticker won't matter a bit. But I kept it anyway.

I guess I like the "completeness" of having original box and / or paper.

I do have a few watches that I plan on keeping them forever, but I don't know if I would / need to change my mind on them neither. :)

11. brand0n

brand0n EDC Junkie

I don’t collect boxes. I have no room. I pitch all boxes and paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Evieniltega

Evieniltega Empty Pockets

The paperbox for my spyderco was great tinder

Wishoot likes this.