1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

save your night vision and $$$

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by dorebow, May 16, 2019.

1. dorebow

dorebow Loaded Pockets

I strapped a rear bicycle light to the top of the insert.
    It has 3 levels, low, medium, high; pictures are on high
    The insert stands alone for moving to a specific location, i.e. inside tent.
    It is usb rechargeable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#1 dorebow, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
    twin63 likes this.
  2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I'm not a big fan of colored lights for night navigation or preserving night vision. I read an article years ago on the the subject, and the best light for night vision is the lowest level white light with which you can see adequately.

Personally, I find smooth-beamed, warm-tinted lights (such as those with Nichia 219 emitters) are the best for me. LED / reflector combinations that produce rings (such as most lights with CREE emitters) actually reduce the effectiveness of the light by creating shadows.

3. dorebow

dorebow Loaded Pockets

Now that you mention it; I use an Astrolux A01 on low, it has a 219c with an orange peel reflector; red is what "they" said was best. It does turn my tent a nice color on the campground tho'.

4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I haven't tried one of those, but I like the looks of the light. I'm guessing in puts out a beautiful beam that fades gradually from a large hot spot to light spill with no rings. The Nichia 219C is my favorite emitter to date.

Red 5mm LEDs were traditionally great for long runtimes at low levels. With newer LED technology, this is now a moot point. Technology has changed, but perception hasn't yet caught up.

Colored LEDs are great as marker lights. One advantage of red is that looking at the light (as opposed to using it for illumination) does not impact night vision as much. Presumably, that is why it is used for brake lights.

5. ZMZ67

ZMZ67 Loaded Pockets

While I like color LEDs for some things I agree with jag-engr that a Nichia 219 or maybe a warm white LED on minimal output is the best. From what I have read it seems like red technically has some advantage over other colors but the level of light must still be very low and for practical purposes a neutral or warm white will work better.
    When I do use a color LED for low light applications I prefer a deeper green or even turquoise over red though that is mostly just personal preference. Many if not most red LED lights are too bright to really help preserve night vision from my understanding. Where in the color spectrum the red LED falls is also supposed to matter.
    I suppose that if you get a red light with the appropriate color temperature and a very low level you probably can maintain a level of night vision not available with other light. Unfortunately I don't know what light or even specific color spectrum of red you need to achieve that level. Red is frequently mentioned for preserving night vision but the low level of output necessary is often overlooked.