1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

SAR's; Are they worth it?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by strider_ani, Aug 16, 2010.

1. strider_ani

strider_ani Empty Pockets

I was having a look at my wrist the other day and noticed there wasn't a watch on it so I decided that it was long enough that I've spent without one.
    Looking around the forums, I noticed the Marathon SAR Watches were quite rugged and I liked the look of them.
    The price rage of these watches is $500+ so I'd like to know if they are worth it in the long run. I have a dressy Tissot that I use sometimes but It's not built for everyday use. Something like this will be able to use everyday and take the wear of every day use.
    Basically, I'm trying to convince myself to get one. Help me out!

2. FreestyleAssassin

FreestyleAssassin Empty Pockets

I have never met anyone who was rocking Marathon SAR Watch and spoke incredably highly of it.

I have met and know an abundance of people who take rugged watches seriously. I am not a watch "fan" by any streatch of the imagination. But I am one of those people who gets down for a rugged watch, and frequently ask of people what watch they are wearing if it looks like something rugged and or interesting that I haven't likely seen or researched. Once I do look into most watches the info goes in one ear and out the other. I have no interested in keeping score on what I have encountered that was NOT interesting or up to spec.

All I have to say is "when there is a doubt, there is NO doubt".

Not to mention 500 bucks..... thats about the spending CAP in my book. I have broken, ruined or lost some of the better watches out there.

I wouldn't talk myself into this one!

3. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I know this answer sounds bad but if it is worth it to you it is worth it. We all value things differently. If we all valued things exactly the same I would feel something has gone wrong.

4. strider_ani

Well I am open to suggestions and alternatives. I've had a look at the Casio G's that are very popular here. I must say, they seem great but aren't my style.
    I guess I'm being a bit picky but I have a right to be if I'm spending $500+.

My CAP for something like this is about $700 AT THE MOST.

Something that looks inconspicuous, but at the same time reasonably trendy and most of all rugged is what I'm ultimately looking for. I just saw that to me SAR's fit this description.
    I have almost no experience whatsoever with watches in general, so minute details will probably not make very much of a difference to me.
    I'm just looking for something high quality that fits that description.

Edit: Didn't see your post Jon, I'll just say this: The main reason for asking is that I have no experience with what is a good watch and what isn't. I can do research and everything but it would not make much sense to me. I don't know how much I should spend on this particular watch or on any other particular watch. I know that as with everything, it is possible to go into so much detail that every single aspect is analyzed and taken into account. I do not want to do this because it is a lot of hassle to do this with every single type of item. That's why I'm asking a question like this and why I'm open to alternatives.
    Cheers, Strider.

5. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Ive got a couple of watches in all styles and i am one of those people who sees 'tough' as a style ;-) I have to say my T-SAR is king in its class, next to my G-shock GW-M5600BC-1ER but both are tough in a very different way somehow. Keep in mind that the T-SAR is quite large and heavy (esp if you plan on using it on metal) and if it gets hit badly it will show this whereas the G-shock with its soft plastic housing will shrug off most bangs and will not get hit with the same force anyhow because of its very low weight and lower profile (and on most models spare parts are cheap and plentiful so $15 make it look like new again).....

Its all up to taste really, any casio will be prone to catastrophic failure simply because it isnt built like a tank but when it does go you can just get a new one because they're not really expensive. The T-SAR is a different story, basically your wrist will snap before the watch does... So if push comes to shove im willing to place bets that the marathon will outlive the casio under really tough conditions (mind you, it will get a nice vintage/used look when doing so ;) )...

Oh and by the way, if your'e looking at a mech SAR (SAR/SARd, MSAR, CSAR) this story get quite a different twist, mechanical movements do NOT like abuse! Any mecha against a casio will lose when it comes to serious toughness.

6. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i dont have and never had a sar... but i have heard good things about them..after all it is spec'd for military use...
    from my view point..spending over 400.00 dollars for a every day watch for rugged use.. work, sports, swimming and diving etc etc is out of the picture
    but for casual and/or dress then price is not a problem as long as the money is available..

there are so many excellant watches to choose from from all price points.. orient watches are a great deal and a great bang for the buck...the mako model is most popular.. and under 200.00 .. the sieko monster is a favorite too.. and casio's also

the sar is a quartz movement which means the watch is going to need a battery from time to time.. for me thats a pain in the b***.. but they keep the best of time, very accurate... i prefer a automatic movement,, really maintaince free. not as accurate but the correction is easy.. and the watch never needs to be opened...

i feel a everyday watch that is going to get hard use or could get hard use... why put of so much cash when other options are there. and the look and style can be exactly the same as a more expensive model..

7. Westerdutch

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but mechanical watches are subjected to wear just as the engine in your car and thus they do require maintenance! If you're smart you bring em in for about once every 4 years for a full check-up (cleaning, re-lubing, fine tuning, waterproofing and maybe even a nice polish) but this depends on how often you use the watch. If you don't do this your watch could run great for many more years but if it breaks after that you're probably looking at new parts and that can get rather expensive!

8. dieselgeek

dieselgeek Loaded Pockets

That's not a lot for a nice watch. If you don't think it will hold up, just buy a G-shock. I wear my Panerai daily and when it needs it I just give it a polish.

9. strider_ani

Is it funny that I would rather spend good money on something I'm going to use often and will last me a while rather than something that looks really nice that I wont use much at all. Maybe it's just me or is it different with watches?
    Model wise I'd rather a plain SAR but many are sold out. The big ones I believe would look weird on me as I have rather small hands. Thinking about the G-SAR or M-SAR which look exactly the same to me except for the Canadian leaf on the front.
    I'm not really sure if I prefer automatic over quartz. I suppose they both need servicing in their own ways. Battery vs Maintenance.
    Thanks for the suggestions. It's got me thinking.

10. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

yes westerdutch,,,i know that autos need maintance..as does just about anything..i should have mentioned that in my post.. but didnt cause the post was more about other things related to watches..

i also admit to being turned off to battery run watches,, i love there that they keep time so well.. but i am lazy to change the battery till it goes or forget about its time to change and then when i really need to use the watch i have nothing..

so auto's are for me....

11. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

Marathons are passable watches, but i really think you can get more for your money with many other brands.

i prefer autos for the anachronistic mechanical artistry aspect. for true utility i go solar, and atomic if possible.

12. FreestyleAssassin

FreestyleAssassin Empty Pockets

Don't get me wrong here, what ever makes you happy.

Obviously you are not going for full on rugged as your primary criteria, you want something built tough with a bit of "style".

For this purpose Wenger has always been my go to brand.

I have a Wenger Mountain Commando and for more "sporty" occasions a Wenger Commando GMT.

13. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The G-SAR is a tough watch, but comes with a hefty price tag and a fairly large physical presence.

I would be tempted to look to something like the Seiko SKX007 - a classic and well proven model, similar dive style and slightly smaller physically so slightly more 'universal' in how you can wear it.

14. mpi

mpi Loaded Pockets

i don't have a SAR, but i have several citizens and really like them as well as the casio for times that i think i might really take beating and break something. i also have a decent timex watch that cost about $65 and is a basic standard chrono. my current favorite is a citizen black nighthawk WR200 AT. great watch and never needs batteries. [eco drive]

15. RGNY

RGNY Empty Pockets

the 007 would be a -great- alternative! solid workhorse auto movement in a rugged case.

16. Westerdutch

I get your feeling, but to tell you the truth i was a mechanic lover like you in the past for the very same reasons but after having an auto fail on me when i needed it my preference sort of switched back to quartz....

If i know i will be away from home for a longer period and will really be needing a watch i now tend to bring the watch to a watch-smith for a check-up and here is where the quartz really excels; A new battery is thrown in while i wait for about $10 max while a clean/lube on a mech will take quite a bit longer an also set me back a bit more than $10 so nowadays when i really need to bring one or two watches they will be quartz.

More value for your money? 100%!! The quartz movement alone in a T-SAR can be bought brand-sparkling new for about $10 to $15.... But on the other hand, the value for money standpoint doesn't do all that well on watches, take a Panerai for example, the mechanical movement the simpler/older models have a standard ETA (with the exception of the really old rolex movements) that makes up about 5-10% of the price at best and the rest of the watch is bloody simple as well. Its all quite clever marketing really, why not ask the max that people are willing to pay for it?

But i do agree with you, wearing a mechanical watch just makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside even if its currently not the best/cheapest or whatever!

Seiko has some GREAT watches! Now they don't have tritium but they do sport the best gitd paint ive seen on any watch their price-range! Next to the skx007 and the other divers also check out the SNZG11/SNZG09 series (great simple military auto watches) and the monsters/sumos!!

Basically, any look found on more expensive watches you can get on a Seiko for about 10% of the price or less but without it screaming 'replica' all over....... They do a great job designing and building beautiful, affordable and reliable watches!

17. dieselgeek

Wester, I do think that most watches charge more than what the watch is worth. Panerai does not just grab a standard movement and throw it in the watch.It goes though a lot of modifaction and is COSC. Now they are moving more and more to in house, but the pricetag has also went up. As far as marketing and Panerai, I can't remember the last time I saw a Panerai advertisement outside of a watch mag. In the end I guess it's all "marketing". I"m sure that $40 timex only cost pennies to make. I used to buy more complicated looking watches such as Breitling and and Tag Heuer, but I became fond of the simpler looking watches like Panerai, IWC etc etc.

Wester, I do think that most watches charge more than what the watch is worth. Panerai does not just grab a standard movement and throw it in the watch. It goes though a lot of modifications and is COSC. Now they are moving more and more to in house, but the pricetag has also went up. As far as marketing and Panerai, I can't remember the last time I saw a Panerai advertisement outside of a watch mag. In the end I guess it's all "marketing". I"m sure that $40 timex only cost pennies to make. I used to buy more complicated looking watches such as Breitling and and Tag Heuer, but I became fond of the simpler looking watches like Panerai, IWC etc etc. If you want simple, rugged and well priced I think the Sinn U1 is the way to go
    I miss mine and plan to buy another soon.
    [​IMG]
    This is my Panerai, if you really like the styling of them Anonimo makes a very similar and well made watch. I used to own one, but sold it when I found it could only be serviced by Anonimo.
    [​IMG]

18. Westerdutch

Ohhh schweet 111!! You didn't think you'd be getting away with a shot like that now didn't you? How bout a nice close-up on the back?

I love those watches... Love the IWCs as well, esp the older non-chrono pilots. Watches don't get much cleaner than that!

But as far as COSC goes, its not really everything its hyped up to be. Its basically just a document, chances are that the basic movement itself would have kept time within those specs anyways and needed tweaks and modifications to get it there if it doesn't do by no means justify the pricetag. Dont get me wrong here, i love these kind of watches but you have to admit that if aliens came down to earth you'd have the hardest time explaining why your panerai and iwc both cost thousands and thousands of dollars more than for example their IWI counterparts.....

19. dieselgeek

Any watch worth it's salt should be able to keep COSC. My PAM is around +1 a day. I take all my watches to my watchmaker and he gets them up and runing to specs for me. He's never had to do anything to this one. Anyway, yeah they are all overpriced, but I just love love love watches. I work in a NOC, and no one has any idea what kind of watch this is or what it cost. Our manager has a Rolex that's about the next closest thing to my watch here. I had a guy ask to see it and he said. "Man, I bet this is some kinda $500 watch" I just said ... something like that haha. Non WIS are not going to understand and I don't expect them too!
    If you go to my flickr flickr/photos/dieselgeek Look for the "watch" set. You can see the phases I've went though. Also IWI are cool watches, my watchmaker buys a lot of stuff from Ron for customers. I'm at work right now and just have my iphone. I'll borrow a Macrolens and get some pics for ya soon.

20. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

If you like the style but not the price, the Trasers and Luminox watches are pretty well-regarded and also have tritium!