1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sanyo Eneloop Batteries. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Pine Box Parkinson, Jan 29, 2013.

1. locknload223

locknload223 Loaded Pockets

I recently bought 8 AAs and a charger. A co-worker gave me the idea to use a label maker and label each battery to keep track of use and life left (date of purchase and number), great idea. My labels read, 12/2012 #1, 12/2012 #2 and so on. It's nice that I can keep track of which batteries get used and how much. I haven't used them long enough to comment on their longevity or even recharging but from reviews and testimonials I've read, they seem to be the #1 rechargeable battery out there.

bigfoot and Strayz like this.
  2. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

A good plan - I know my two flash sets are labelled - one au natural, one set with a big blue stripe down each battery to let me know which is which when trying to organise a handful of old and new batteries.

3. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I would also recommend a MAHA charger, as I've been using them for years. I've used them to condition my NiMHs (fully discharging the battery before charging), even though NiMHs aren't supposed to have as bad a memory problem as NiCaDs.

I've been reading lots of positive reviews of the Eneloop batteries on Amazon, so I will be ordering those as I start to replace my Energizer rechargeables.

If I may, I would like to say that Duracell makes the worst rechargeable NiMHs evar...

4. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I can't remember the last time I put an alkaline AA or AAA into something, I've got Eneloops in *everything*. The best feature hands down is the Low Self-Discharge; I'd just about given up on NiMH after spending a lot of money on those 2400 Energizer cells that wouldn't hold a charge for even a *month*.

There are some other LSD cells out there that are essentially Eneloops with different branding (e.g. the so-called "Duraloop" Duracell LSD cells), but it's not worth trying to figure out which are which. Just buy the Eneloops and be done with it.

5. CasperEDC

CasperEDC Loaded Pockets

I have dozens of the new and old eneloops in AA and AAA. They're fantastic, hands-down some of the best cells you can buy. Don't forget to pick up a decent charger for them.

6. Thechansen

Thechansen Loaded Pockets

Amazonbasics are decent for the price. Performance wise, they are on par with Eneloops but they have slightly less "long-term-store-ability". Based on my limited tests, after 2 months Amazonbasics had about 10% less of a charge then Eneloops.

7. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Eneloops rock! There are some here we have been using for probably 5-6 years. Not so much as a hiccup. The newer 2nd generation cells have a gray cover visible on the top of the cell. The 1st generation cells had a white cover up top. FYI - the blue Eneloops sold in Costco are of the newer 2nd gen. variety.

8. littlequick
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

littlequick EDC junkie

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on these soon.

9. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I was really close, but then my Eagletac D25A Clicky stopped working, so it'll probably be a while to get it back from warranty service, so I'm carrying around a Sipik with a 14500 battery instead :(

littlequick likes this.
  10. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Eneloops rock. I have them in everything but one of my cameras. For some reason that camera (Olympus FE-310) says that my batteries are dead although I've put fresh Eneloops in. Maybe it has something to do with the "break in" that needs to occur that was mentioned previously?

Get them. They will pay for themselves many times over and are better for the environment. Costco also has (had) them on sale for $15.99.

11. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Nope, it's the voltage. Alkalines are 1.5V, Eneloops and other NiMH cells run 1.2V; your camera sees the voltage and thinks it sees nearly depleted alkalines. I have the same problem with my Canon.

Sent from my imagination using Tapatalk Psychotropic Edition

karlito and Gnarly like this.
  12. karlito

karlito Loaded Pockets

Well, that's a bummer. That camera burns through batteries so I was / am hoping to save with the Eneloops. Thanks for the info Gryffin, it answers a nagging question.

13. ohGr

ohGr Loaded Pockets

Pulled the trigger on these today at a local Costco, here is the packaging if anyone is interested.

[​IMG]

and a close up of the battery:
    [​IMG]

They went right into my Yaesu FT60r using the battery case.
    [​IMG]

These were right under 22 dollars out the door, there was one other package which had eight AA's, two AAAs, C and D adapters, and a charger. The only problem was that it was opened. I asked one of the workers if they had more and He told me the package I found was a return that was purchased at a different location. So it seems some costcos carry different packages.

14. adobo

adobo Loaded Pockets

Love eneloops.. A good way to store them is with Storacell cases, pretty neat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bigfoot likes this.
  15. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Yeah, major bummer, I know. After missing one too many photo event due to my Canon shutting down on fresh NiMH cells (my sister's PhD ceremony was the last straw), I just bit the bullet and started using Energizer Ultimate Lithiums. Yeah, they cost a fortune, but on the plus side they last for frakkin' ever, and $10 isn't that much to document memories I'd otherwise miss.

That's what I use for "first line" spares, too. I even took one of the 6xAAA ones and cut it, sacrificing one slot, into a 2xAAA and a 3xAAA carrier, very handy for pocket or bag carry. The 2xAAA is in my EDC bag with spares for my Maratac AAA, the 3xAAA is in my daypack with backup cells for my Petzl headlamp.

I don't use alkalines anymore, but The Love O' My Life still does (I'm working on that!), and of course there's WTSHTF, so I keep some around. I store those in a couple of MTM CaseGuard 50-round rifle cartridge boxes. I forget which size, but somebody over at CPF figured out which ones were the right dimensions to hold AA and AAA cells.

(I'd post pix, but I'm at work right now.)

16. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Eneloops are the reason I moved ALL my portable electronics over to AA-based in 2007 or so (even backup our smartphones from Eneloops). I haven't thrown any away yet and the very worst still hold still hold ~80% of their original capacity. I love being able to bring 1 charger and 1 set of spare batts to feed everything, not to mention having near unlimited cannibalization, and store-bought alkaline back-up options. Also have some nice NiMh solar chargers that have come in handy on some our extended power outages.

I'd advise getting the best (per CPF) smart charger for them though... the Maha C9000 - well worth the investment.

mole likes this.
  17. Groovy

Groovy Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    These are really great Batteries , I got these and charger last Christmas from Amazon on sale and I have given up on all other rechargeable AA batteries.

CasperEDC likes this.
  18. CasperEDC

CasperEDC Loaded Pockets

I also have the LaCrosse charger. Excellent choice.

19. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I rock a lotta lithium ions as well as Eneloops, so my charger of choice is the SYSMAX/NiteCore IntelliCharger i4. But I'll break the out LaCrosse if I need to recondition some cells, it's much more advanced for that sort of thing.

20. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i own and use 5 flashlights and there all powered by eneloops, AA and AAA, i also use them in my camera..

guess what? i love them..