1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sanrenmu knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ace19636, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Tx_Mark

Tx_Mark Loaded Pockets

Sanrenmu makes the steel for some of Spyderco's imports.... Sanrenmu and Spyderco work together.. just so you know..

That is why Sanrenmu doesn't get in trouble for "copying" some of Spyderco's designs..

2. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

$10.18 at Amazon with 17 in stock: http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-CK5-Swat-Knife/dp/B0016KCK1A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1311719866&sr=8-1
    I'm telling you an amazing knife, no play in mine, I've used it through dove wing bones in the field hunting for at least 6 years with no chipping. I know nothing about CK5 steel, but I love it.

I 100% agree! It's frustrating, but opposite then when you buy a new car ending above MSRP!?!?

It's the belief that something copied and stolen is not on the same level as another option from a company that hold ethics. I'm more of a knife purist, not a snob though. The price of the knife means nothing. It's the creation of the blade that counts.

3. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

Sanrenmu only provides the Tenacious line, not exactly the flagship of Spyderco. Also, Spyderco asked for the business, in this and only this case it was not a copy but a legal transaction. For the other 99% of their knife line, how did they get their designs?

Heck, in China they are finding 5 fake Apple stores in one city!

4. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

Have you personally ever handled a sanrenmu knife? If so why is it junk? I've never have but I won't call something junk until I know from experience it is, like s&w and gerber knives. Before I knew what a good knife was I bought and broke at least 8 pos s&w knives from big5(which mostly sells crap Chinese junk). Waste of money. Gerber too. The longest I had a gerber was a month. I think the gerber my dad is carrying right now has like two screws left holding it in place.

5. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

Let me put it this way. You look like an Atwood fan. If Sanrenmu or any other entity copied Atwood's designs and you could buy at 5 bucks would you do it? If you say yes, then you and I are different in this regard.

6. jcc

jcc Banned

Gerber did it.

7. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

^No they did not. The artifact and shard are both different from the prybaby if this is what your reaching for. Atwood had a wrench in the middle of his, and also has minor jimping the Gerber does not have. Plus they both look very different. Keep reaching.

8. jcc

jcc Banned

So... they're similar but different, is what your saying? I don't see how this is different from SRM knives. They may look similar to other knives, but they're different with different attributes.

In the end, it really doesn't matter because you'll spend your money how you want, and other people will spend their money how they want. The people that are buying CRK knives aren't going to buy a SRM knife, and the people that buy an SRM knife probably aren't the people that were going to buy a CRK in the first place.

9. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

i agree. there are some companies that make models of atwood tools that are complete knock offs that look exactly the same, those of which i will not buy. then there are those companies that make tools who kinda got the idea from Atwood and kinda look the same but arent, which is ok to you. isnt this what sanrenmu is doing? they do have models that resemble another companies model but do not look exactly the same and are not marketing it as exactly the same. now im not familiar with all of the sanrenmu models and if they do have a knife which is made to look exactly the same as another knife and are marketing it as the same knife then i agree that it is a complete knock off. btw i think sanrenmu has a lot of knives to offer which as far as i know are original designs.

10. IMWILSON
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

IMWILSON EDC Wizard

Well said tonester

11. sydder

sydder Loaded Pockets

This.

I think the dislike for SRM comes from the misguided notion that all Chinese products are cheap knock-offs. Which to be fair in many cases is true. Chinese companies have stolen the designs of everything from Disneyland and whole Apple stores to an entire village.

But as it happens this is not the case with SRM knives.

12. sweetdaddyroses

sweetdaddyroses Loaded Pockets

i own several srm/navy/bee-enlan knives and have a few more on the way. i also own some very nice spyderco knives, as well as many other "made in america" brand name knives -- several buck and kershaw, to name a couple that fall into that category. i also collect SAK's manufactured by both wenger and victorinox. i recently posted pics of my newest spyderco, a ti military, just the other day, and have posted pics of many SAK's. i like good knives!

i feel no need to defend, must less argue on behalf of, the chinese knives that i own and thoroughly enjoy. i look forward to receiving the ones that are currently going through customs in hong kong and i can assure the reader that i will undoubtedly order many more in the future. why? because they are good knives at a great price!

on the other hand, i have owned s&w and gerber knives in the past and will never buy another one at any price. why? because, in my experience, they were crap!

that is MY EXPERIENCE...YMMV.

cheers!

*sdr*

13. niagaratac

niagaratac Loaded Pockets

My 7 cents into pot.

Are SRM knives a good value, yes.

Mostly knock offs, yes and no, however we mostly buy the 710 which is a knock off as is Navy K507 of CRK's.

Does 440A/C steel get sharp, yes.

Good lock up,, so so.

For how long do they retain edge, not long.

A hard use folder , no.

A great gift to friend who you would like to get into knives, yes.

14. Wstan

Wstan Loaded Pockets

Anyone know a source for Navy fixed blade knives? On a whim, I purchased a Navy K-812 on Ebay and this thing is a BEAST. AUS-8a 1/8th" thick full tang with micarta scales, 8.5" long with 4" blade. Well fit to a large hand, but overall, heavier than I would prefer. Came in a leather belt sheath that looks well constructed--I'm a lefty so it annoys me. It's not a knock-off of anything with which I'm familiar, the closest thing design-wise seems to be one of the small Ontario Rangers.

15. DTM_Oskar

DTM_Oskar Loaded Pockets

Is there any counciling service for people waiting for exduct delivery?? Haha i can not wait for my enlan L01-1. i loooooove black and green micarta!

16. Max Archer

Max Archer Loaded Pockets

I'd like to try a few SRMs, just as beaters and to check 'em out for myself. I'm thinking of maybe buying three or four or so. I know I want to get the 710, what are some of their other "greatest hits"?

17. JoeM

JoeM Loaded Pockets

You can't go wrong with the 763. I have a couple of them and really like them. I don't have one of the aluminum handled ones, but 2 of the others. I think they're either G10 or some sort of FRN.

18. Sparkey

Sparkey Loaded Pockets

Just got my black 710 in the mail today. Feels solid in the hand, razor sharp, and everything about it is smooth and clean...so it made a heck of a first impression..so far, so good. Heck of a deal for 12 bucks shipped. I'll probably add a few more comments after I've carried it for a while...

19. tbenedict

tbenedict Loaded Pockets

+1 on the 763, I've been edcing one for several months in place if several others. To me, they are a good value and I'm not afraid of scratching or losing it (have a couple). Most of mine have come with a respectable edge too.

I believe the Spyderco Byrd line is made by them.

20. colubrid

colubrid Loaded Pockets

Maybe I am deaf, dumb and blind. But i just got one of these SANRENMU 710's a week ago and having owned multiple high end folders (sebenzas, Striders,Hinderers and more) .

IMO this knife is not comparable to a $30-$40. knife. It is better than any $30-$40 knife including the low end spydercos.