1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sanrenmu knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by ace19636, Jul 24, 2011.

1. ace19636

ace19636 Loaded Pockets

Okay so I was looking through the knife threads and found a few reviews on Sanrenmu knives so I looked them up and wow a lot of them were 10 bucks or less but had FRN or g-10 handles and decent steels? So let me ask how good are they? What is the quality like?

2. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

I have not owned any but the consensus around here seems to be that they are fine knives and a great deal for their price. I've heard the quality is on par with many $30-40 knives.

3. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Someone gave me one, I did use it once to cut a few elm tree saplings. The edge rolled by the time I did the fifth sapling.

4. jcc

jcc Banned

I own one. For the price they're great knives. The steel is a little soft but it's a $7 knife.

5. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

I have no respect for a product that comes from a company that steals all their designs, and creates the cheapest possible knock off. They are junk knives, and you can do better for the same price tag.

6. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

cheap knives that do loan looks from others.. but they really are decent/good quality.

all i have, have solid lockup, smooth opening action, sharp blade, tolerances are good, no significant blade play (most have had none) etc. all in all.. solid knife. blade material is a bit "soft" but its hard enough for most tasks.. (well in line with many other cheap knives.. easy to sharpen but does get dull faster)

and these are not the cheap-chinese-knockoff-junk one used to find in the bulk store clearance bin or at swapmeet chinese dollar items sellers desk.
    -you know the knives that you shake hard enough in your hand and the bolts holding the scales fall off (kinda the ones i saw sold in dealextreme last year.. looked like böker but that was just looks.)

all sanrenmu/land/bee/navy knives i have had are built LOT better than that. they cant be compared at all to "made out of old tin can metal" junk knives.. many of them (the ones people rave about) do indeed feel worth more than 30 dollars knife of "more well known factories". (and many of the well known brands, their cheaper line knives are made in china, some even use sanrenmu to build their knives.. spyderco for one.)

yo mama: i would like to see what comparable knife (by "reputable" company, their own original design) you can buy for 5-15 dollars (that price is shipped, even from otherside of the world) that are as nice or better built than say, srm model 710. i know, i know, it loans desing from small sebenza but still.. let me know what are the similar knives "you can do better for the same price". (one place sells them currently under 5 dollars)

like said, i am very eager to see the ones you mean. and i promise to buy one and let you know which one i think is better knife for the money.

7. rupash88

rupash88 Loaded Pockets

Not much love for sanrenmu I see, I don't know much about knifes so got a couple just to try out. Personally think they are not bad for say a first knife (mind you this is my first knife so don't have anything better to compare it to), the finish is good..not that cheap and dirty jobs compared to most Chinese made tactical goods (led torches etc). Blade is sharp enough to shave a bit of hair. Not sure what you want to do with them but listening to some members here if you want something for heavy use I think you might try something else.

[​IMG]

8. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

I just picked up a 763 because of its dual functionality as a bottle opener. The quality seems decent - on par with the $30-50 knives I have had. Very good value and I will be EDC'ing it for a bit as a test drive.

9. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

I've owned several SRM's and find for the price they are a great bargain. I would easily put them on par with knives costing $30-40.

10. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I had a couple. Well made I thought. They get bashed a lot but I haven't found anything that can match their quality for the price. Knock offs? Some but many are not and are well worth a look.

11. yo mama

yo mama Loaded Pockets

S & W Swat II, beautiful knife, Big 5 had them for 12 bucks when I got mine.

Gerber STL 2.0 is at Walmart for 13 bucks.

Colombia River 9048c flux for 14 bucks

I have no experience with Opinel, other than I've heard they rock. The Schrades are also fine to me.

Those were just a few on a first glance.

12. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I like the 710. Solid folder, nice lockup. Have a few of their others as well.

13. sydder

sydder Loaded Pockets

I own a few SRM knives and I love them. They all openly smoothly, lock up tight and came shaving sharp. I particularly like the 763 for how light it is and because it's so cheap I'm not afraid to abuse it and it is probably my most used knife.

The only advantage my more expensive Benchmade and Boker knives have as far as I can tell is that they hold their edge better. But for a 1000% price increase I'm definitely not getting 1000% more knife.

I've noticed that nearly all the people who dislike SRM knives never actually complain about the knives themselves but that the company "steals" the designs. Which in my opinion is :censored:, companies have been copying and under cutting each other for eons, it is the nature of the free market and how it regulates itself. SRM knives never try to pass themselves off as anything other than what they are and afaik have not breached any copyright laws.

14. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

It might be just the one I have but it is the knife. The metal on this one is very soft, it might have been one that slipped through heat treat.

15. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

I just got these two form a forum member, before I bougt them I did a little research, they have the same steel as the Spyderco Tenacious, they are knives that you can abuse and you wont mind, and a little time on the sharpmaker, can get the scary sharp.
    [​IMG]

16. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Sorry, Jon. I'll try to send you something better next time

.Jon, I would like to send you another so we can suss this out.

17. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

No need to send me anything. I will send this one to you so you can see what it did.

For the things I have been using a knife for lately my old old Case is fine.

18. Jakala

Jakala Loaded Pockets

Just ordered a 710 and a 763, for just 20 bucks i'll take the risk...

we'll see what happens when I open the package in say 3 to 4 months #hatesasiashipping #wantitNOW!

19. NonSenCe

NonSenCe Loaded Pockets

S & W Swat II.
    -i didnt find it from s&w webpages, so is it a discontinued model? (sold for discount) very similar blade material as srm knives. i have only tried the special ops or something like that named sw knife and they all had horrible blade play and the lock only engaged 30% of the possible area. i tried all they had in the shop (ended up buying gerber gator instead) (retail price seemed to be 18-20usd) tempted to see if their quality control has improved since.

Gerber STL 2.0 (and the 2.5)
    -tried these once i think it was the older model 2.0. kinda gentlemans folder that hides into pocket because of lack of weight and slimness.. but also this meant it felt flimsy in use. didnt trust the "feel" it had. i think it has 440a blade steel so its a little bit weaker than 440c and the material srm uses most 8Cr13MoV but the real life differences of the materials are very small in all these knives. (retail price seemed to be 16-22 dollars.. depending of the source)

i hate how hard it is to find the msrp prices of these things.. as that is the actual perceived value and price of the knife according to manufacturer. not the price they might be offered/sold. something like ontario rat 1.. originally msrp was 65-70 something.. thats the price the company valued it worth, street prices ended up dipping under 30. and for 30 its ok knife. but i know some of the srm/navy/bee/enlan knives can easily compete with (in my mind, win) it with msrp prices 10-17dollars. and if looking at its original msrp they would be running circles around it. :)

Colombia River 9048c flux
    -according to crkt website this is out of stock but 29.99$ knife in retail pricing. see above. this is a 30 dollar knife that is sold for discount. might be tempted to buy one if i find one under 20 dollars shipped. just to see if its lot better built than the srm knives.

so.. these options here are all made in china, by similar blade steels, and msrp beeing double or triple of the srm counterparts.. and on top of these discount/real street prices you found these for, one still needs to add the shipping costs across the ocean. (4-12dollars depending of the size of package)

and look at it this way : even in this very small budget frame a 5 dollar increase in price in comparison to 10 dollar knife is 50% price increase. its like a 30 dollar tenacious is good bargain, 45 dollar tenacious is not so much anymore.

opinel: dont think they are comparable, the ones i know of, are not single hand openers (the lock is twist type) but as food prep and gentleman/scout folder they do rock! the carbon blades can be wicked sharp and the stainless ones are good slicers too. but they are different breed of what we are talking about. i think i need to buy one more of them.

schrade, have had 3 of them (dont know their models) all of them are ok cheap pocket knives if one dont mind the bad build quality. things like: blade play, side to side and front to back.. couldnt fix it with picot screw. loose and self loosening screws (the clip came off by itself, and had to use loctite to keep the scale screw in its place) all came in dull, had to reprofile or sharpen them right out of the box. and two of them didnt last an small force hammer test (locking of the blade gave away) the only one that took the baton test.. i still have it somewhere. others i threw away to junk bin.

anyways.. there are or might be knives available that are "more" original desing that dont cost that much more than the "loaned" design versions, especially in discounts bins. but shipping them around makes their price jump. if we were in china we might be able to buy the srm knives over the counter in their "walmart" for that 5 dollars "street price" or less. and that 5 dollar knife is still able in my mind compete with much much more expensive knives. build quality, materials, quality control and tolerances. if they used say 1 or 2 dollars more just fine tuning them even more.. like in polishing the parts etc, they would exceed many of the even higher dollar range of knives.

all in all they are very good options for cheap-at-heart casual knife user that do not need supersteels or "name brands" but just need a knife. they exel on that, knives that can take use (even heavy) and not break your bank if you misplace it or something.

so try them. even if they somehow do not fit your purposes (just have to pick the right model of their vast lineup) and if it really feels "totally worthless" after testing it, i bet there are many people you know, that if you give it to them, they will think its the best knife they ever had.

no i dont sell them or anything.. i just find them real good value knives.. and i do give them to all my friends and family that dont need or deserve an higer priced knife.. or cant be even convinced that they DO need one the way they use their knives. (sighh) and they all are amazed of the knife. and they do not believe me when i tell them to just keep it.. and if they insist paying me.. i only ask a tenner for it. (have had to shown them their price online to make them believe it) this said.. i have now sold/given away 16pc 710 knives, and 10 others.

i know i can use any of the srm knives i have as my edc blade and they will do the tasks just fine, i just use/keep them as backups or as alternatives. i use delica4 (small
    slim easy to hide), sog flash2 (assist opener gadget feel) or the tenacious (heavier beater) as my normal user knives. i think its because part of me wants to carry a name brand item or other cool values. but if i or someone else is looking for a folder for cheap, i dont hesitate to offer these higher quality chinese made folders as their main knife.

20. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I guess it really depends on what group is using them.

Schrade folders where considered a one season knives back in the 60's and 70's to people in agriculture. Schrades where sold by the register in general stores, the tack shop, and the feed store. The better tools where behind the counter. I got a new Scharde each spring for several years, they didn't want to get me a better knife as they thought I would lose it. It would be fine in the Spring but by Fall it had worked lose. There where no sudden failures but daily use made them wear out in one growing season.

They are fine box openers and once in awhile do something more, other wise they really don't hold up doing actual work.