1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sanrenmu, Ganzo, Enlan: which one?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by iplaysthedrums, Feb 17, 2014.

1. iplaysthedrums

iplaysthedrums Loaded Pockets

I've been seeing more an more of these knives popping up everywhere. Everyone seems to really like them. I'm thinking about picking one up, but I'm not sure which. Anyone want to convince me?

So far I've been really digging the looks of the Enlan axis and flipper knives.

Sent from a Galaxy Note 2 far far away...

2. bpeezer

bpeezer Loaded Pockets

For the price, why not try all three? ;)

Spade115, Aslan and Al Effendi like this.
  3. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Definitely try the SRM 710. Great reliably edc, easy to mod if you feel so, easy to sharpen, takes good edge. After that, feel free to try them all ;)
    Ganzo makes nice Axis Locks, good for trying if you wanna buy a Benchmade someday. From Enlan I only have the EL04MCT. Axis lock not same good but nice design and no tears if you lose/damage it (thru lending it to someone :p )

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. MarauderX

MarauderX Loaded Pockets

I saw the same talk and pulled the trigger on a SRM 710 and for the money, sub $10, it can not be beat, currently it's my edc knife. Size/weight/value is unbeatable IMHO. Are there better options out there sub $30? Sure many depending on what you like, but for edc it is ideal for me. I did order an EL01 after seeing lots of love for it as well, but I doubt I will like it as much due to size.

(I am the king at losing edc items so I have a lean and mean approach to edc gear cost)

A $50 knife isn't 5x better than a 710 so in my opinion the 710 would be a bargain even closer to the $30 range.

Sorry for the rant, but I never felt so strong about a $10 piece of edc gear :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mole and Sriracha like this.
  5. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Yep the 710 is a great knife. Just be careful, keep it light duty, as the edges on those things are hollow ground real thin. Mine makes a ringing sound when I test for sharpness, like a straight razor.

6. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Manufacturing standards increase exponentially per dollar, realistically per $10. At $30 the 710 is competing with the Spyderco Tenacious. That's like putting me in the UFC Octogan and saying, "It won't be that bad, he has two arms and can walk upright too." The Tenacious is a vastly better knife and a Griptilian or Delica is even better than that.

If I was going to use a knife as a screwdriver, thrash it, and leave it at the bottom of a lake, a $10 folder is perfectly fine. For something you want to perform with the best of them, be safe, and have any resemblance of resale value...I would go with a brand name. It's the difference between 3 decent pizzas and one decent pizza, except the pizzas can last you over a decade of trusted use.

Just my .02 tho! :)

flatblackcapo and bpeezer like this.
  7. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Where can i get a pizza that will last me over a decade :D?

figuy, Russ Prechtl, Gravy and 2 others like this.
  8. MarauderX

MarauderX Loaded Pockets

In my case, this is my edc knife use.

My reasoning behind the $30 angle is, as I've read, the same place manufactures items for companies whose products retail for that amount with seemingly same materials.

But I respect your opinion and I see your point.

flatblackcapo and Blerv like this.
  9. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

How do you order these knives? Do you guys have a preferred seller/distributor?

10. MarauderX

MarauderX Loaded Pockets

Yes, eBay ;)

Although I have used dx.com in the past

11. eacas10

eacas10 Loaded Pockets

sanrenmu 710 and 763 for edc and enlan el-01 for more heavy duty work ;)

12. Cujobob

Cujobob Loaded Pockets

Sanrenmu makes some of the Spyderco chinese branded knives, it's not really competing with it...it's moreso just a different option. The 710 is fantastic for the reasons stated before. I highly recommend that everyone buys one, I have several of that model, actually. I picked one up in each finish and have a few spares in the one I like the best (for some reason, it's the basic model with the rough looking patch on the handle scale).

The 710 is a light duty knife because of it's size, but for less than 9$ available online at a shipped price, it's simply amazing as a cheap EDC. If you spend more, get better blade steel. 8Cr13MoV is not bad steel at all, it's just not the best.

Sanrenmu makes a ton of good knives, the 710 is my favorite branded through their own name. Brand names mean very little. Many trust Kershaw but they improperly heat treat their fine Sandvik steels and Elmax. Both of those have the potential to be amazing and the company can't get them right. Spyderco is the opposite...while they don't look as cool to new customers, they make amazing tools. Unfortunately, you're looking at the Tenacious as one of their cheapest nice knives..and it's in the same blade steel as the 710 for 3x or more of the price.

ALLHSS and MarauderX like this.
  13. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

There isn't anything wrong with 8Cr. It's close enough to 154cm that nobody without a lab coat or similar degree could figure which one is which. As for heat treating most those people are speculating based off placebo and poor sharpening.

Frankly I don't own any of those knives so my soap box is admittedly made of straw :). You do have to wonder though. They use some similar materials as some of the entry Kershaw and Spyderco knives, are built by the same people (I guess), but retail cost is 1/3rd? Either the two American companies are profiting like drunken pirates, or:

* unseen details : QC time, F&F
    * not having to pay a designer: blatant rip-offs
    * far cheaper labor: who's making the knives?
    * magic

When you add the raw materials, transport, tariffs, and all the details of making a knife you can't make much of one for $10 let alone stay in business with a profit. So until I figure out how someone makes a knife just like the Cryo or Tenacious for a fraction of the cost, I'll stay guarded. Even a g10 Byrd is twice the money and those range from rough to decent while being safe.

Anyways, no personal offense intended. We all have our perspectives. If I want a cheap knife I'll buy an Opinel. At least they have heritage.

Last edited by Blerv, Feb 17, 2014
    AK Adventurer likes this.
  14. bpeezer

bpeezer Loaded Pockets

This is my favorite analogy I've heard in a very long time...thank you :D

archimedes, Roger and Blerv like this.
  15. Cujobob

Cujobob Loaded Pockets

The US dollar is valuable and that is why the knives can be had so inexpensively, why cheaper than the Tenacious and such? Because any American hand that touches it makes money on it. Spyderco has to market it, American dealers have to profit at their wages as well.

The blatant rip offs issue is really not a concern with the better companies like Sanrenmu. The watch industry is full of homage pieces, the knife industry is no different anyways. Most locking mechanisms are stolen from others with only a slight change. Blade shapes? Same deal.

AK Adventurer likes this.
  16. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

One of my favorite models from the brands listed is the Enlan EL-02 .

17. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

So, one of these knives is just like a wholesale version? Right...

The Senrenmu 710 is a copy of the Sebenza.

I had more but it was just a rant about buying quality tools that can be passed down and supporting an industry of artisans instead of contributing to a landfill-society. :). People can/will do what they want and that's the great thing about a free country.

18. Tegan's Dad
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tegan's Dad Loaded Pockets

I've picked up several SRM 710 (or 7010 which is the same model) knives. I've kept 2 as spares, EDC 1, and given 3 as gifts. I spent some time this weekend with my Work Sharp giving my EDC 710 a convex edge, and it shaves nicely now. It was sharp before, but not this sharp.

I like it and therefore recommend it, however that doesn't mean it will fit your needs either. Is it worth a shot? Absolutely.

Building on what Cujobob said:
    I think a good analogy with Sanrenmu might be Intel vs. AMD. Intel has a lot of marketing, where AMD has very little. I may be wrong, but I believe that is a big part of the price difference. They are also different products, so there will also be performance differences.

I think the key is to find a blade that fits your needs and expectations and move on from there. If it works out that a $10 blade does what you need, then great. If you prefer a $400 blade for the task and have the means to do so, then great.

GrayMouser and MarauderX like this.
  19. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Don't forget Tekut knives. Some may say the SRM 710 is a sebbie clone. I disagree as it's more a little brother maybe if you check it close.
    The shrunk clone is the Tekut Lizard, my home pants edc :p

[​IMG]

With Ganzo I better understand the rant as many of them are direct copies of Benchmade.
    But, they are not directly available in the US so no US copyright is violated cos these trademarks and patents are usually only valid in the states.
    If someone from there orders in China, what can they do about it?

Al Effendi likes this.
  20. Al Effendi

Al Effendi Loaded Pockets

I own a bunch of each of these brands. The biggest problem I have with all brands is consistency. Two of my favorite, most-used knives are a Bee and a Ganzo automatic. They are very well built, the steel is excellent for general use, and the designs are well-thought out. Then there's the Ganzo ripoff of the Spyderco Sage: mine is a complete piece of :censored: that no amount of work has been able to improve so far.

I've owned at least a dozen Spyderco knives over the last 20 or so years, and I have never had any quality issues.

With prices usually under $30, it's not that bad a gamble, but it is still a gamble.

I got some of mine from Fasttech. The shipping from China to the US can be slow, but other than that, I'd consider it a very good online retailer with an excellent selection.

Adahn likes this.