1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sanrenmu 710 full of stains

Discussion in 'Knives' started by jalbam, Apr 18, 2011.

1. jalbam

jalbam Loaded Pockets

Hi,

I have had a SanRenMu 710 folding knife for just a few days, five or so. I have only carried it with me in my pocket a couple of times and most of the times it has been lying on my bedside table. It has never been under any abnormal humidity condition and I don't have sweaty hands but it shows several spots (freckles, stains) in all its parts: handles, blade and even clip.

Did anyone experience the same with this knife? Is that normal with all or almost all stainless steel or just with cheap ones? Can this affect blade sharpness? What can I do to clean it? Is there any method to avoid it?

Here you have some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you very much in advance! :)

2. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Try some Flitz to remove the spots then wipe everything down with a light coat of oil. You may not have sweaty palms but oils from the skin can do that.

3. jalbam

jalbam Loaded Pockets

Thank you very much for your answer.

I finally ended up cleaning it with "6 en 1" by GPM which is very used for many things here in Spain and it seems all stains or almost all of them have gone (I will see tomorrow more clearly). Could the blade sharpness have been affected by this product? I would swear it's a little bit duller now :( Maybe it's because of the previous rust or just my mind?

Excuse me my ignorance, but why other things made of stainless steel, as for example spoons that we use every day to eat, don't rust so much? I am quite sure they are completely different steels, but why don't they make knives with it then? at least the handles and clip which doesn't need to retain blade sharpness.

4. sonny

sonny Empty Pockets

Do you live near the ocean, may be not next to it but many kilometers from ?
    Fork and spoon will not hold an edge for long, I'm not sure if it can be hardened like knife blades.
    Another thing is inexpensive knives use lower-priced materials.

Worth the price you pay, I'd say.

If the abrasive is very fine, you may just mirror polish the edge, not making it dull but more slippery on plastics
    Rust on other parts won't make it dull, only on the edge and more so if it's badly pitted.

5. sweetdaddyroses

sweetdaddyroses Loaded Pockets

i have owned and carried a sanrenmu 710 for several months and have not experienced any problem with the unusual stains that are evident on your knife. all i can think of is that possibly your knife may have been in close proximity to an aerosol spray or something of that nature? i doubt that your blades edge would have been adversely affected or dulled by the cleaning product you used. but, hey! what do i know? in any event, be grateful that it wasn't an expensive chris reeve sebenza.

6. corscorpii

corscorpii Loaded Pockets

I own a Sanrenmu710 (and 711) for almost a year and I don't pay attention to them too much as I know they are stainless-steel. Now, there is no sign of any kind of stain/dirt on the blade and on the handles. Your situation may be a temporary problem of a few parties in the production line of SRM.

7. freedoom

freedoom Loaded Pockets

its a $7 knife just buy another one.

8. Kraid

Kraid Loaded Pockets

A Sebenza wouldn't have rusted. :)

9. jalbam

jalbam Loaded Pockets

It is not a bid deal since as you said it's a cheap knife, but I was wondering why happened that so I asked :) hehe. Furthermore, even it's cheap I would like to take care of it because I like it pretty much and is good for me to learn how to take care of it.

10. Trippytiger

Trippytiger Empty Pockets

You're quite right that the steels are very different. Your forks and spoons are almost definitely an austenitic stainless steel (likely something in the 300 grade), which means that it contains a high percentage of nickel and a very low percentage of carbon. This improves its ability to resist corrosion significantly, but means that it can't be hardened through heat-treating like the martensitic steels used in knife blades. As for why it isn't used in the handle, I suspect that's because the lock needs to be stronger than what can be achieved by unhardened steel. You don't want a lock that's going to fold up on you!