1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Samsung's Galaxy S9??

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by McNasty, Oct 19, 2018.

1. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Wife's s4 finally died.. wants the s9. Do you folks that have one have any complaints?

Thanks

2. That Movie Guy

That Movie Guy Loaded Pockets

I've got the S7. Holding out for the S10 next year.

3. DRPoolio

DRPoolio Loaded Pockets

I use an S9 as my work phone. So far so good. It's plenty fast, graphics are superb and the sucker takes a beating. I put it on top of my car while getting gas and talking via bluetooth. Pulled out of the parking lot and off it went into the street. I did a quick u turn only to run back and see it run over while laying screen down in the middle of the street. Result: The glass screen protector looked like it had bullet holes in it but the phone still works perfectly and zero damage to the screen itself. Highly recommended!

Ataki likes this.
  4. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I have the S8 which is nearly identical to the S9 judging by the specs:

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8966&idPhone2=8161#g960u,g950a,*

It does everything I need it to and is very durable. Both have Gorilla Glass 5. Now there have been complains about the screen cracking, but I tell you what, I've dropped my phone multiple times and stepped on it accidentally with my full weight and it hasn't cracked.

5. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Nevermind she got talked into the Pixel 3.

sewer_rat likes this.
  6. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I've always been a galaxy fan. I get a new one every 3 years or so. My s6 is old, but still does everything I need. I may be able to hold out for the s10.

7. Locked-Out

Locked-Out Loaded Pockets

I have dropped my s9 multiple times and cracked it multiple times. Then again My iPhone screen is also smashed to smithereens ....I think it might be me lol the s9 is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

In the (in cell phone years!) distant past, pre-smart phone, there were a number of phones on the market that were designed to take a beating. They were engineered and manufactured to survive based on a Mil spec for hard use environments.

Nextel had several. I had one that was what used to be termed the 'candy bar' form factor. In other words, it didn't fold or anything -- which meant the elimination of that set of vulnerable points. When my son went off to college we got him a Nextel also, but a flip phone version. But it was also in compliance with these rugged duty specs.

I remember once when I was on duty on the sales floor ( I was in flooring sales at the time); guy comes in and I noticed he was rocking the same phone I was. We got to talking about the phones. He was an elevator repair technician. Had his phone drop down the elevator shaft several times. Didn't matter. Hit bottom, bounced, continued to function.

Ah..those were the days my friend! If there are any smart phones engineered for such duty, they're sure not marketed very aggressively! Pity.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

yeah, I used to open bottles with my Nokia.

10. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

I guess it depends just on how it falls. My 3 months old S6 fell from car seat height (50-60 cm?), the cover opened while falling (that useless piece of..) and it fell full flat straight on the display. Total destruction. The display started leaking or something and was dead and black 2 days later. luckily I could backup all of my photos before the screen died! - repair cost for the whole display unit: more than 200 euros, because there was a shortage for the units. so repair made no sense at all.

So I just bought a used S7 on ebay for 300 and now have a very expensive paperweight with a useless but pretty leather protective cover.

I guess you can destroy every phone if you are unlucky. Gorilla Glass is still just glass.

11. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

Still rocking my S7. Good phone. Though I would advise to get a Google Phone, so you get Android Updates and don't have to rely on Samsung to deliver updates for your phone in a couple of years. Also you have less pre-installed bloatware you cannot delete.

12. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

I know my older son has broken every single phone he has ever had in his life, either he has cracked the screen or something else. Now I'm just waiting to see when he's going to tell me that now his Samsung GS8 is broken. On the other hand, my younger son has never had a broken phone, and he only just upgraded to the Samsung GS8 from his GS3.