1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 7.0"

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Rev. Chuck, Aug 13, 2011.

1. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

Not sure if Samsung, or any other, make amoled that size. Hell, it seems that amoled in general have nearly vanished.

2. Circle of Owls

Circle of Owls Loaded Pockets

Samsung has demo'd a 7" Super AMOLED and there are rumors of a 7" tab using it but there is nothing on the market now. Actually the market for AMOLEDs is expected to triple this year and demand is extremely high. Samsung has just opened a new manufacturing plant building nothing else with production numbers expected to reach up to 30 million a month (!!!).

3. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

Should be interesting. But i have read reviews stating that current amoled devices have worse visibility outdoors then transflective lcd. I guess this is because the led has to fight the ambient sunlight, while the transflective use it via a reflective layer behind the lcd (so the light goes thru the lcd, and then gets reflected back and basically act as a additional backlight).

4. monkeyluis

monkeyluis Loaded Pockets

So it's like buying a PC with all the bloatware. I think in general it's too much work. Too many things can go wrong with rooting (jaklbreaking) & if it doesn't work the way it should I look elsewhere. Too much maintenance. This is why I like apple. Got my mom & my sister to get an iPad. I've never had a call about why something doesn't work. The iPad just works. Does everything it needs to do with no problem. I get no issue phone calls. Which is nice.

5. Circle of Owls

Circle of Owls Loaded Pockets

True, for outdoor use the transflective lcd is the one to beat. My Super AMOLED screen is stunning indoors but unreadable in direct sunlight.

The OP is about a 7" tablet which Apple doesn't even offer, however if Apple's products give you all the features that you want in the price range that you are happy with then they sound like a good choice for you. I feel that Apple intentionally stifles competition, innovation and freedom by banning apps like Podcaster, Mailwrangler and Netshare. I prefer to be able to improve the products that I purchase and the Android community enthusiastically agrees with me. Apple only produces premium products; a premium Android device will be just as reliable, trouble free and easy to use as an Apple product and you will not have to jailbreak it to install the apps that Apple doesn't want you to have. I've found Samsung's devices, like the Galaxy Tab, to be outstanding. I get no issue phone calls either.

6. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

This was the main reason I bought it, my wife has the Ipad2 and I didn't like the size for edc.

Also like they said, I like being able to install the apps i want, and not the ones they want me to install.

Did I said It's only 7 inches????

7. Jinglish

Jinglish Loaded Pockets

If it were up to me, I'd have a 7" Honeycomb tablet for EDC. Alas, I'm a CS major, so I need an ultraportable with me on a daily basis. Still, though, nice Android tablet, especially for that price.

8. monkeyluis

I have podcast applications on my iPhone & iPad. I have several options. One of them being podcaster. So we can scratch that off the list. I'm not sure what those other apps are. If they are about remote login, I can do that, accessing my NAS...yup I can do that too. Stream content from my laptop...yup that too. Oh, & no iTunes needed. Easy quick setup. Let me state, I have no problems with android, I think it's a great OS with great potential. I just constantly hear from androidites i"Pad can't do this but android can, or this & this oh but I do have to root my android device." iPad is far from limited as some people believe. I like the fact that apple has the verification process. Android just had a malware app on their system, thats eliminated in the apple world, but it doesn't stop from having some great apps on the device (w/o rooting) And you can't compare a rooted device to a stock out of the box device. A rooted iPad can do pretty much anything as well. Well I'm glad you're enjoying it. Galaxy tab does look like a nice device. Who knows maybe I'll buy one one day. Lol.

9. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

No flash websites, no sd card. Galaxy Tab does both in smaller form. Win.

10. monkeyluis

Lol. That's fine. I don't have a need for either. I have rarely come across a website that I need flash for. I find that funny that people are still using that as a con. It's insignificant. There is a great app called skyfire that can play flash vids just fine. Again most major sites are ipad compatible Really come up with something new. Sd card? For what? From most of what I read you can only read from the sd, and then only certain files. Maybe it was the xoom I read that on, so I'm not sure about the galaxy tab. As a non-user of an android tablet I'm happy to be humble and admit I don't know everything about it. I've only read reviews on most major tech sites. As I said though I see nothing wrong with android & actually wouldn't mind getting one. I like the form factor of the iPad, even my 4 yr old & 7 yr old can use it just fine. Have you spent any length of time using it? I think it's the perfect screen size. But it is a personal preference, so really that's negligible.

11. monkeyluis

As an iPad 2 owner yourself, I don't understand where you get this from. Apple doesnt make you install anything. Lol. It's silly. They have an app store with hundreds of thounds of apps. Android has an app store too. You pick & chose what you want to install. I've never been forced to install any apps on my iPad. Eh, whatever. It's amusing. I need to get my hands on the galaxy tab. I really to want to check it out. I love all gadgets. My wife hates it cause I spend too much money. :(

12. revs
    • In Omnia Paratus

revs Loaded Pockets

VZW version was a little bit of a challenge to jailbreak. But, I got it. Not a lot of ROMs for it yet, but I did get Gingerbread running.

13. RacerX

RacerX Loaded Pockets

mind posting a walkthru somewhere? Like, one for dummies? :p

14. bigguy02

bigguy02 Loaded Pockets

Acer Icona A100

I'm very interested in one my self.

15. s0uls

s0uls Loaded Pockets

I was really hoping that the A100 would be a nice 7inch tegra2 tablet, but the battery life is a dealbreaker and the overall performance is not even as good as the galaxy 7tab was.

16. tso

tso Loaded Pockets

Thing about battery life is that is related to the number of physical battery cells you can pack into a space. As such, a physically larger device can provide for a larger battery.

17. PreparedCountryBoy

PreparedCountryBoy Loaded Pockets

Kinda wanted to bump this thread bexause I have a tab coming in on Wensday.

I was wondering what kind of accessories you've purchased, what you haven't liked, that sort of thing.

Also if you rooted it, what rom did you use?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

18. fgials

fgials Loaded Pockets

Bringing this back to top to see what yall have in accessories.

19. PreparedCountryBoy

PreparedCountryBoy Loaded Pockets

So mine came in as you can see what I'm posting this from. I'm definitely happy with it. Shipped to me with 4.1.1 and I'm gonna wait to see if I put a different room. But I'm gonna root it this weekend. I was somewhat disappointed in the charging port I wish it was more standard.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

20. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

Oh, you got the new one, cool. Is it still a phone too?

I've had mine for almost 2 years now I think, got it for only 12,50 Euro, lol. I think it was a mistake from the phone company, they upped the price with that cheap plan to a 150 or so a couple of days later but I caught it just in time.

I use mine with this cheap cover that also doubles as a stand:

[​IMG]

It has held up a lot better then I thought it would for the 3 bucks I paid for it. I actually bought two of them because they were so cheap and looked like the stand thing would break off sooner or later, but I'm still on the first one after some pretty intensive daily use.

& I also use this one:

[​IMG]

It's not as nice irl as it looks in the photo, but it does the job & isn't too expensive. I just wished it had a little pouch for an extra micro SD card on the inside.