1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Same-caliber rifle and revolver combo

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by 0dBm, Jan 16, 2020.

1. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

My late father had a Henry rifle and Colt SAA in .45 (long) Colt. They are now in my family's private collection. I have always liked the versatility of this setup but I wanted something with more power.

I have fired both the 6.5-inch 500 S&W Magnum and the Big Horn Armory Model 89 in the same caliber that both belong to the grandson of a long-time friend. While I am not discounting the sheer horsepower of the .500 Magnum, carrying that revolver even for just a few hours makes for no less than WORK. I understand that the revolver needs to be that large in order to handle the recoil of the mighty .500.

Even the 460 S&W Magnum is a behemoth. No thanks.

My next step was to search for a caliber that is a significant increase in power over the .44 Magnum and a revolver that is not so unwieldy as the largest S&W offerings.

Enter the .454 Casull. The double-action Ruger 5-inch Super Redhawk Model Toklat still feels as large as the 460 and 500.

I chose the Freedom Arms 7.5-inch Field Grade Model 83 5-shot .454 Casull.

I was so impressed with the quality of the Big Horn product that I chose the 18-inch Model 90A also in .454 Casull.

The Remington .44 Magnum is no slouch as a hunting cartridge. Cartridge creator Elmer Keith would be proud of the development and evolution of this product. I just wanted something more power for when in big game country. The .454 Casull has also developed into what I consider to be a revolver cartridge powerful enough to take large game but not have the extremely high pressures of the of novelty products such as the .460 & .500.

What's your combo?

brand0n likes this.
  2. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

I’ve got a S&W Model 10 and a Marlin 1894 carbine that works just fine;)

ran23, jbj and LivingUpNorth like this.
  3. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Having rifle and handgun in the same caliber is not really something I make a point of. For me, my rifles and handguns are used so differently that I've chosen different calibers up until now.
    Besides, from what I've read, you'll be hard pressed to find a single load that performs well in both a rifle and a handgun.

Anyways, for reasons not related to matching caliber, I will probably replace my .44 magnum lever action carbine with something similar in .357, and since I own several revolvers in 357, that would make it a match :)

Now, if I was to go about this in a more theoretical way, and pretend I was going into the wilderness for a longer time, with no easy way to resupply, I might have chosen a lever action in 460 and a revolver in .45 LC. With a full tube of 460, a cylinder of .45s and a box of spare .45s, that would give me a very potent rifle, a handy and controllable revolver and spare .45s can be used as rifle ammo in a pinch.

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have a few Pistol/Carbine combos but all in smaller caliber rounds.

The Beretta CX4 Storm runs the same mags as my M9 which could be handy at times and I also have a KelTec Sub2K that runs on Glock 9mm double stack Mags.

Then I have 22 in both too which again could be handy in the right situation and allows for a lot more ammo in the pack than anything else probably.

I have also long thought of getting a Lever Action in .357 to continue the pairings.

5. Curtai

Curtai Empty Pockets

And this is why I like the rise in popularity of the pistol caliber carbine. I am currently trying to get a longer barrel Sig MPX around a 7" or 8" instead of the annoying "Rattler" pistols. But a 9mm would work for me personally because I don't get into big game country if that were the case I'd probably go with a larger caliber as well.

ETA: although I had the idea of using the FN 5.7 and a AR-57 carbine at one point, I had a problem with the mag release on the carbine...

6. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Always wanted a .357 carbine, but a 9 mm will probably come first.

7. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

anyone planning on building an AR9, give a shout... been playing with one for USPSA PCC competition for the last 3 years... blow back, and currently a radially delayed system.... would be glad to offer suggestions... regards Les

brand0n likes this.
  8. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

I've got a Ruger Redhawk and a Winchester 94 both in 44mag.

Also have a couple 22lr rifles along with an old S&W 22/32 Kit Gun.

9. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

If I purchased a 9mm carbine, it would probably be akin to this new Ruger 19122, which accepts Glock magazines. A 10mm on this platform would be a knock-out, marketing coup.

[​IMG]

brand0n and ran23 like this.
  10. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

the Ruger PCC have not really been a hit for the USPSA matches down here in Florida... most still use some form of an AR platform as all the aftermarket triggers and externals work

11. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I do not for a second believe that the Ruger PCC was intended to compete with the AR platform as a serious competition rifle.
    As a recreational rifle, and self defense wherever that’s applicable, I think it could be fairly successful.

Elmiro Dungfoot likes this.
  12. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

I tend to favor .357 pistols, have always wanted a marlin 1894 in the caliber but have never came across one cheap enough I couldn't turn it down. I'm also in the same boat where a pistol and a rifle IMHO serve 2 different functions so I'd rather my long gun have more boom.

13. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

Go big or go home...

[​IMG]

:D

14. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Ah, the BFR in 45-70!

ran23 and ghuns like this.
  15. Craig Grabowsky

Craig Grabowsky Loaded Pockets

I shoot hogs with a HiPoint 10mm Carbine and an EAA Compact 10mm

16. charlie fox

charlie fox Loaded Pockets

How does 10mm work on hogs? I’ve shot a few with 5.56mm and it takes a minute for them to go down (and sometimes more than a couple of shots).

17. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

All about shot placement and how you hunt. I grew up hunting with a 22 mag pistol with dogs. When the dogs have em bayed you can walk up and take a good shot.

charlie fox likes this.
  18. jds1

jds1 Loaded Pockets

My .22 LR combo.

[​IMG]

Jeff

19. Diezel

Diezel Loaded Pockets

My 22 long combo. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  20. jds1