1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

{+} SAK Station {+}

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Dafabricata, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Dafabricata

Dafabricata Loaded Pockets

A few weeks ago I made the mistake of ordering a few Victorinox Alox knives to see what all the hoopla was about. The first was a Cadet in olive green followed by a silver farmer. It's been a while since I've gotten as much joy out of such a simple and fairly inexpensive item.

Seeing some of the modifications done by members here got me wanting to give it a shot myself. There weren't many pictures showing disassembled SAKs or the order in which they go together, so I rode my bike to the local supermarket at 2am and picked up a few to experiment with.

Removing the plastic scales with a razor blade revealed the brass rivets/pivots which were carefully drilled out. After removing the rivets and taking the Huntsman apart, I realized that I forgot to take pictures. Using the original brass rivets, I was able to get it mostly back together, at least enough to see how the parts fit together. Those :censored: pins kept falling out or the parts would shift, causing the tension to make parts move and it became annoying quick.

Thats when the idea for the "SAK Station" came to mind. Using this aluminum plate that I found in the garbage, I marked out and drilled holes for correct sized pins to allow building these, or at least mocking them up and test fitting parts a much easier task. This plate is also used to mount a few different small vises to and is also my flashlight station.

One 3 sides are locations for 58mm/ 84mm/93mm frame pin sizes. The pins for the 93mm are from the local hardware and 2 had to be turned down slightly to fit the center pin holes sizes. The 58mm pins are stainless steel tig welding rod. They are all staked in place with a punch and the fitment is excellent. The 84mm still needs to be done but, I have to go buy more pins and turn them all down.

I've already started on some brass liners/scales and a few other things.
    Looking forward to yet another semi - inexpensive and enjoyable hobby....just what I need

Anyway, I just thought this might help others who want to modify their knives to avoid the frustration I was starting to feel by the darn thing coming apart when I was trying to assemble it.

Hoping to have my first custom build to share in the next week or two....waiting on screws.
    I plan to also ball mill under where the knife scales sits so a wooden tongue depresser can be used to pry the completed assembles up off the pins.

Feel free to add your ideas here also!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

C.Boland93, LefsaBL, Xiii and 6 others like this.
  2. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Why do I get the feeling we're going to be throwing money at you soon? ;)

Foxwalk, OEM1 and Dafabricata like this.
  3. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice idea! The only improvement I can think of is a robot arm ( making robot noise) :p Oh, one more idea. A magnetic wall .....so when I freak out because it is not going together like it should and throw the knife across the room , I won't loose any parts.:D

BubbaFett and Dafabricata like this.
  4. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

Very good idea I would think, looks like we can expect interesting things from you. I'll be staying tuned to SAK Station ;-)

On a side note I'm getting real close to pulling the trigger on a farmer, I don't have a SAK at the moment, haven't had one in years. That has to be a sin or something.

Dafabricata likes this.
  5. Joost Heijnen
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Joost Heijnen EDC Junkie!!!!!

Looking good.. Subbed, so I can learn something here..

Dafabricata likes this.
  6. Dafabricata

Spent some time in the COLD shop today/tonight working on parts.

Started on some brass scales and liners for the 93mm. They were cut then milled to match. Then the holes were made while stacked to keep them all the same. I also cut some brass liners for the 84mm.

After dinner I started on the scales and liner for a 58mm mod. All I have are a few classics but, I threw in a few extra features in to liven it up. Scales and liner were made from brass and shaped on the mill. I broke the only 0-80 tap on the third hole! Luckily I punched the broken piece out, reshaped the tap on the grinder and finished tapping the last 2 holes. I should have a semi finished knife later tonight. Can't stay up too late since I have to babysit all day tomorrow. ......Now back to the fridged shop to finish up for the night.

The SAK Station worked great for mock up and to help fit an extra non Vic part into the mix.

More pics later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Joost Heijnen and Vesp like this.
  7. Evilbunny

Evilbunny Loaded Pockets

You gotta get your self one of these (skip to 2:09)

B.Haven and oedipus1978 like this.
  8. Dafabricata

Nothing is showing up on my screen. ?

9. Dafabricata

Ok, quick write up then off to bed.

This is my first SAK build. I wanted a slightly beefier blade and remembered that I have a Spyderco Honey Bee.
    After taking it apart, I was very happy to see how easy it is to add to a 58mm frame. Like it was meant for these little SAKs!

I also wanted a tritium vial locator and decided under the clip would be the best and safest spot. The clip is from a zebralight SC52 and also fits the 58 holes almost perfectly. I'm going to add thumb recesses to get to the spyderhole easier. I still have more finishing to do on the scales (have an idea) but have a working prototype.

Can't wait to start on the 84 and 93 frames...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lorenzo, Ippon, Evilbunny and 7 others like this.
  10. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

The first ever spydinox? Very interesting first mod, can't wait to see it finished.

wrath0r likes this.
  11. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

why not vyderco...

MJGEGB likes this.
  12. boyo17

boyo17 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nice :) have fun,,,,,,,,,,,

[​IMG]

13. Jerry L

Jerry L EDC Junkie!!!!!

14. Xiii
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

very nice. looks great.
    Xiii

15. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I love the Honey Bee blade on the Victorinox!

I have a Midnite Manager. It has a great tool selection and I frequently use everything but the blade - it's a wobbly razor-sharp scalpel. I would imagine that the Honey Bee blade has a much more stable lock-up.

SAKplumber and Dafabricata like this.
  16. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Loaded Pockets

what a lovely hybrid!
    truly, nothing is beyond the imagination and skills of a forumite! The mind reels with the possibilities...