1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

SAK question - this is maddening

Discussion in 'Knives' started by coffeemike, Feb 4, 2017.

1. coffeemike

coffeemike Loaded Pockets

Hi, folks! Long time, no see.

I've carried an Alox Pioneer since last March. Love the thing. My EDC is always "The Pioneer plus..." - first a Boker Urban Trapper and now a 940-2.

I carry the Pioneer mainly as a useful tool and not a knife. The blade on it drives me up a proverbial wall. Cannot stand it. Why? It's twisted and angled. When you open the knife and look down it, it's not a straight line from the backspring down the spine of the knife. It's just all kinds of weird.

So, since I can't seem to find a picture of it - does anybody with a Waiter or Bantam know if the blade is straight and true, or warped to fit across from another tool? Really all I need is that blade and wide screwdriver head (scraping, prying, etc) - corkscrew would be fun - so I'm open to other SAK suggestions as well.

Thanks!

Tony Sal likes this.
  2. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

The term for what you are seeing is "crinked". Yes, that is a word. It is deliberately angled to clear the awl. If it were straight and true, you'd have a flat spot on the edge from it hitting the awl every time it closed and a big rub mark on the side of the blade from where it dragged every time you opened it, assuming you ever got it open. It is a very common practice on multi-blade traditional knives where two blades are mounted at opposite ends of the same spring. If it really bugs you that much, all I can say is stick to single blade knives or those with only one tool or blade per spring.

Edit to add: the blade on the Waiter and on the Bantam is crinked as well. Being thinner, it doesn't show as much, but it is crinked.

Tony Sal, A.B. and coffeemike like this.
  3. coffeemike

Crumbs. I realized the purpose and that it was intentional, I just didn't realize how much it was going to annoy me. Thanks for the tip on the Waiter and Bantam!

Tony Sal likes this.
  4. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

You're welcome. I'm afraid you're going to run into the same thing on any of the Victorinox knives with multiple blades. I have a couple of bags of them sitting here, and except for the single blades, they are all crinked to one degree or another. For what it's worth, the Alox Pioneer actually has the largest amount of offset of any I have.

Tony Sal, coffeemike and A.B. like this.
  5. coffeemike

That's good to know. I was an enthusiastic home cook well before falling in love with pocket/folding knives, so I apparently got very used to using a straight blade to sight my cuts.

Looks like I'll have to switch to a multi tool and find the perfect single blade traditional pocket knife...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Sal likes this.
  6. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

went to take a look at my SAK collection and noticed that the only Alox I have that has no crinking is the Solo. I did, however notice that the Wenger models I have are crinked a lot less then the Victorinox ones (although still crinked) You might want to check one out just to see if it would suit you.

A.B., coffeemike and Tony Sal like this.
  7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@coffeemike: there are indeed traditional single blade knives to look at. Opinel comes to mind, available in either carbon steel or SS, in a range of sizes. Case also have quite a lot of possibilities. One example I have is a 'slimline' trapper; they also have lock back trappers. Most of the players in the traditional knife segment have plenty of possibilities!

Happy 'hunting'!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Gary Gross, Gogogordy and coffeemike like this.
  8. AndyTiedye

AndyTiedye Loaded Pockets

111mm and 130mm SAKs don't have another tool in the blade layer, so no crinking needed.

Longer blades also much better for culinary use.

A.B. and coffeemike like this.
  9. joeyontz

joeyontz Loaded Pockets

I have an old Vic Swish Champ (pre pliers model) and the two blades it has ride side by side and have no crinking in them. I would think you just need to double check each model prior to buying to ensure they don't lay next to any other tools that would require them to be crinked.