1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

SAK Classic

Discussion in 'Knives' started by mdsmith, Oct 9, 2012.

1. mdsmith

mdsmith Loaded Pockets

Hey guys. I just recently picked up my very first Victorinox classic. I think I had a knock off or two when I was younger, but I never bought an actual Vic. I was at Wally World the other day and figured what the heck. I'm still not totally sold on it, especially since right now, it's taking the place of my Leatherman Micra. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you ever carry just the little Vic Classic in your pocket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. jnsn

jnsn Loaded Pockets

i have, it was a life saver at xmas functions last year, opening toys, installing batteries, etc.. they are very well put together

3. CDavisJK

CDavisJK Loaded Pockets

I prefer the larger blade and utility of the Bantam or the Cadet. But a little Classic never hurts.

4. gga357

gga357 Loaded Pockets

Everyday, left pocket. 3-4" folder in my right pocket.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

5. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I'm down on record for being a fanatical fan of the little classic. It cuts, has scissors, SD tip that works as a small phillips driver and light pry tool. tweezers that I have picked splinters and a tick or two off the dog. I keep it in a key fob sheath on my keyring so I can't leave the home without it. It opens UPS boxes, mail, plastic blister packages, and more. Works pretty good on broken nails too.

It's a real knife and working tool in miniature.

6. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I carried a Classic for many years, until I decided to go with something a little larger [(Spartans, Tinkers - now, the Champion Plus (which is my secondary knife, to the Buck 110)]. The Classic served me very well for a long time. Now that I'm EDCing slightly larger (more robust) stuff, I've grown accustomed to the extra bulk, but appreciate the added utiltiy of the larger-sized tools.

7. UrbanFieldmaster

UrbanFieldmaster Loaded Pockets

On my keychain all the time. I actually use edc a Leatherman Style CS or Micra, but I like the size and shape of the Victorinox better. If extra tools are needed I always have a Fieldmaster with me as well.

gibbsrule9 likes this.
  8. Werewolf32

Werewolf32 Loaded Pockets

Love my little Classic SD. No longer carried as EDC, I use my equally well loved Leatherman PS4 instead now, as I like having the pliers and a sturdier knife.

The scissors on the classic are the best I have encountered though. Still my go to choice for trimming my fingernails. Ditto for splinter removal with that nice tip on the blade and the tweezers. It's what I'd call a perfect compact personal grooming tool. Not so much for other tasks where you want to get into something or take something apart though, but I still have a real soft spot for the Classic and always will.

Also a great knife to give away to non-knife people to use as an EDC, as it's totally non-threatening and so small that they will actually carry and use it.

I think there's a lot to be said for knives of this size. You can always pull it out without raising any eyebrows or pulses and can do 9/10 of the average person's daily tasks. I use my PS4 for over 90% of my daily work and I work in a warehouse. Sure I need to pull out my Spyderco from time to time but the PS4 can handle almost anything I throw its way.

Give your classic some carry time and I'm sure it'll really grow on you. It's a perfect design, IMHO.

9. mdsmith

mdsmith Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies guys. It's definitely a little less sturdy feeling of a tool than I'm used to. Even something of comparable size, like the Case peanut, feels much more substantial. That said, I don't really need a knife as much as I might like to think, and I'm sure the classic can handle what I do need. It just getting used to the feel of it - kinda feels like a toy. I was thinking about leaving my other knifes at home for a week, and putting a little lanyard on the Classic and just dropping it in my pocket and see what happens.

10. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Cheap, great quality and a good selection of tools in a nice compact format.

Generally all I carry while at work, so it opens countless boxes, has dismantled cameras, helped repair torn nails and other minor grooming/first aid and just been an invaluable tool. Alongside it being carry in work another stays in my bag in my altoids backup tin in case I ever forget or lose my main knife.

I will admit I generally don't carry the classic as such, but the slightly larger rambler model instead - it adds a cap lifter and dedicated philips, and perhaps more importantly to me, puts the blade and file/screwdriver on opposite sides, so I can easily grab the blade without pulling out other implements (a simple detail, but when it is being opened and closed countless times a day on the shop floor, notable).

I do tend to carry the cadet instead of only having a classic/rambler as I prefer the larger blade and tools, but I know that in reality, the classic is more than enough knife for what I am normally needing.

UrbanFieldmaster likes this.
  11. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

You may be surprised!

12. EXCALIBUR

EXCALIBUR Loaded Pockets

I am familiar with the SAK Classic Alox. Q: If I wanted to go up one size, what SAK should I be considering? Please adivse. Thank you.

13. stax
    • In Omnia Paratus

stax Loaded Pockets

I am a bigger fan of the Rambler, but the Classic is aptly named. It will serve you very well.

Vesp likes this.
  14. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Before I bought and/or owned any folders, I carried the Vic Classic daily since I first got one in middle school. (Prior to that, it was my father's knock off one.) I still have it to this day, a decade and some years later. :D

15. UrbanFieldmaster

UrbanFieldmaster Loaded Pockets

That all depends on the tools you want.

stax likes this.
  16. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

OY! I need to get off my lazy #!% and get a classic. :)

stax and jnsn like this.
  17. jnsn

jnsn Loaded Pockets

i was! i thought the same until i used mine for a little while, theyre really solid. theres more than one time i expected it to break or fail and it never did.

stax likes this.
  18. jnsn

jnsn Loaded Pockets

yes asap, even my 58yo mother has one! of course shes got an iphone and a facebook acct and i dont so i guess thats not saying much lol

KAMM, UrbanFieldmaster and mooshisho like this.
  19. defjus

defjus Loaded Pockets

I just recently switched out a Micra for an Alox Classic SD on my key chain. I love the lighter weight and outside opening tools as compared to the Leatherman. I do sometimes miss the more substantial feeling drivers of the Micra though. Nevertheless, the Classic does everything I need for my usual daily tasks.

And if I need something more than I just grab my Victorinox Swiss Spirit or the Micra from my bag.

Also, I recently left my favorite knife in a friends car but the Classic has been serving me so well that I haven’t felt the need to go pick up my other knife or buy a new one. I'd really like an excuse to buy another folder but the Classic is really enough for me most days.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

20. mdsmith

mdsmith Loaded Pockets

Hey Carl, is your sheath the black leather one made by Victorinox? If so, does it hold the classic in there securely?