1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

SAK and one piece multi tool vs Micra/Squirt

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by bryan123, Aug 4, 2016.

1. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

For the times that I'm not carrying my SAK Super Tinker (either intentionally or forgetfulness), I like having backup functionality on my keychain. Blade, scissors, flathead, nail file and bottle opener are my needs.

I can fulfill these needs with, I have found, one of two options.

First option is to put my Micra (or a Squirt) on my keychain. They have all the tools but they're heavy. Second option is to duplicate the functions of the Micra by using a SAK Classic paired with a one piece multi tool (OPMT) such as a Doohickey, Shard, etc. This is a much lighter option.

Anyone else out there found success pairing a SAK Classic with a one piece multi tool, and which one is your favorite?

Thanks

Warsong likes this.
  2. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

Leatherman Style PS or CS, the PS have all, but no blade, and the CS have all but no pliers, so, your choice (the spring on my PS broke from no usage tough...)

3. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Thanks. Not exactly a rousing endorsement of the PS, were you able to get it repaired under warranty I hope? I had a Style CS for a short time but returned it because I didn't like it at all compared to my Micra.

Do you have any experience with the one piece multi tools?

4. IHateBottleOpeners

IHateBottleOpeners EDC Junkie!!!!!

I live in sh***y country in Eurupe and it's impossible for me to get it repaired (except if I pay more for shipping that the actual price I bought it). We have one and only Mikei and I asked there (because they are their distributor) and the guy working there (witch I've had few bad experiences with him) told me that THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE MACHINES TO REPAIR IT, I said that they don't need to, they just need to send it to the US and let the workers from the LM factory take care of it, and he just said NO, we can't do it...
    Otherwise I've had experiences with the Micra and with few SAKs, but not with something that you want, nothing included pliers.

5. Tranx

Tranx Loaded Pockets

An other suggestion could be: victorinox rambler
    It has all the tools the classic SD has
    +
    58mm Combo Tool- The current version features a Cap Lifter (bottle opener), Phillips screwdriver with magnetized tip, and wire stripper
    It has one more layer than the classic, but doesn't feel that much fatter.

Disadvantage compared with the combination of a classic SD with a one piece multi tool is that you can use the OPMT for prying and other "abuse" without risk of damaging your SAK.

The rambler is less easy to find locally around here, so it's possible you'll have to shop online.

SOS24, Warsong and bryan123 like this.
  6. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I have one 'keychain' on a pocket dangler, which is primarily a select group of pocket tools. I have a LM Squirt on that. I have a second very much smaller and lighter group of tools on a medium carabiner; that one only has my car key & fob and a NiteIze Tube rechargeable light. Since the group with more of the tools is on a pocket danger I don't even notice any weight and it stays hanging along an inside edge of the pocket where it is not in any way in the way.

I used to have a SAK Classic on the tool dangler; but decided I preferred the Squirt since it gave me more functionality.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Warsong and bryan123 like this.
  7. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

I considered the Rambler as an option. Online it coast about twice as much as the Classic SD for the addition of the 58mm Combo tool. Might be worth it for some folks depending on their needs. Rambler would be cool if it were available in Alox.

I think a Classic SD with a Gerber Shard would give the Rambler a run for its money.

Warsong likes this.
  8. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Hi Moshe,

Regarding pocket danglers, they seem to work better with jeans where the pocket opening is more or less horizontal. I don't think they work as well with the dress pants with more vertical pocket openings that I have to wear daily at work.

Also I find the blade on the 58mm SAK's to work better than the blade on the Micra/Squirt/Style CS.

Regarding scissors, I find the smaller SAK scissors are better for presision work like cutting loose threads, and the Micra scissors are for heavier duty cutting tasks.

Shabbat Shalom,

Dov Ben Yitzchak Yosef
    aka Bryan

Last edited by bryan123, Aug 5, 2016
    Warsong likes this.
  9. 313

313 Uber Prepared

This is true, but even with dress pants a pocket clip dangler seems to provide the benefit that the keys and tools stay aligned and in place. Also if you keep the length of the dangler to a minimum, the keychain may stay nearly vertical even with shallower pockets.

10. 313

313 Uber Prepared

I do just that with a Classic and a Leatherman Brewzer. Works for me, the two combined seem to carry on a keychain more comfortable than say a Micra or a Squirt. The bottle opener cutout on the brewzer fits 1/4 hex bits, btw. I have a couple of torx's and phillips heads in my bag.

11. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

I can't get danglers to work for me with my dress pants. My solution is to attach the main keyring to a 6 inch lanyard that I picked up at a Dollar store. I tuck the end around and under my belt and suspend the keychain in the pocket below.

313 likes this.
  12. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

When you bought the Brewzer did you consider the Shard or one of the Nite Ize Doohickey variations?

Warsong likes this.
  13. 313

313 Uber Prepared

Nope. Bought the Brewzer on a whim, as it's what I have available locally. No Shards or Doohickeys around here. I'm sure they'd work just as well if not better.

14. gurdygurds

gurdygurds Loaded Pockets

Rambler plus the Shard = very capable small pocket carry tools. You can get a used Rambler on EBay used for 8 dollars or so. Rambler is definitely an upgrade over the classic in my opinion. The screwdriver/cap lifter is a welcome addition.

15. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

Pairing a Rambler with a Shard would introduce some possibly unnecessary redundancy since you would have 2 caplifters, 2 wire strippers and two Phillips screwdrivers. Classic and Shard have no functions in common.

16. SOS24
    • +2 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I have the Rambler + TT PocketTools Chopper and I really like the combo.
    As others have said the Rambler is like the classic plus bottle opener, phillips and wire stripper and can be found on ebay fairly cheap (even in alox but not cheap). The chopper adds pry, box opener (sharp edge on corner of pry), small wrench open, 1/4 bit driver plus some overlap of bottle opener and wire stripper. I also like Chopper (OPMT option) because there is no opening to get at tools.