1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Safety Cap Pen

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Boudreaux, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Loaded Pockets

I can't keep a pen, capped or unclicked. I have ruined to many uniform shirts and pants from pens that are made for desk jockeys. It doesn't matter if its a bolt, clicky, threaded cap they all will come open and bleed into my pocket of my pants or shirt.
    SO, Why doesn't someone make a safety cap pen, similar to a prescription pill bottle. Something that is capped and threads on, but requires the cap to be pushed down to engage the threads, to then be unthreaded.

Does such thing exist and I just can't find it?

2. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Not that I know. Please don't take offense, but in the big picture it would be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist...not that marketing doesn't try to create demand from time to time. I know this is an issue for you, but I think you're going to have to approach it by getting something custom if a conventional capped/threaded pen is still not working for you.

3. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

I developed a lovely ink stain at the bottom of my new carhartt jacket cause the cap of my BigIdesign Ti Arto pen worked its way off.

4. neo71665

neo71665 Loaded Pockets

Not knowing the pen in question is there a shoulder on it where you can put a small o ring? That way when the cap is screwed on tight the rubber keeps it pushed against the threads kinda acting like a lock washer.

5. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Same principle is used on Lee reloading dies....

6. ambrdrgn

ambrdrgn Empty Pockets

Why not use a pen slip? It's one extra step when you want to use your pen but it would probably do the job and they're widely available.

jag-engr likes this.
  7. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Loaded Pockets

I had to google a pen slip to see what it was, I wouldn't have a problem for this except I typically carry them in the sleeve pocket on my polo. So it would have to be a very small to work.

This post got me thinking, I found a spring that is just small enough to fit inside the cap of my Kara Kustom and a little over an inch long. I dropped it in the cap then had to force the cap down to engage the threads. Hopefully it will provide enough resistance to keep the cap from tryin to unscrew.

neo71665 likes this.
  8. Gobane

Gobane Empty Pockets

I also need such a thing, but I could not find it on the Amazon. :blink:

9. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I carry pens in shirt or jacket pockets all the time and have never really had this issue. What kind of ink cartridges are you using? Most won't bleed much even if they do open.

One option might be to try a Fisher Bullet Pen or a Pokka Pen that require the cap to be switched around.

10. Boudreaux

Boudreaux Loaded Pockets

I am now running a G2 .38.
    I have lost 7 uniform shirts and 3 pair of pants now. I have had good luck with putting the spring in the cap of my pen so far.

11. ripjack13

ripjack13 Loaded Pockets

I made a few pens that use the G2 ink refill. I know you said you had trouble with bolts, I made the bolt action Tec-pen. What kind of bolts, in particular, did you notice didn't work for you?
    I like the concept of the safety cap. I may have to incorporate that spring idea into something.

12. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I'm guessing that you favor the G2 for it's clear, bold line with minimal skipping?

You might try a Uni Jetstream clicky pen. Their ink cartridges are more of a traditional ballpoint ink cartridge, but it is formulated to be very smooth. I am a lefty and generally have issue with ballpoint pens skipping (even the Fisher Space Pen), but I have no issue with the Uni Jetsream cartridges. I have, in the past, disassembled the Uni clicky pens and placed the cartridge in a Pilot G2 body. It seems like I had to work out a spacer, but it wasn't difficult.

13. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Actually Jetstream is not traditional ballpoint ink....it is one of the newer hybrid inks. As @jag-engr states, portsiders seem to favor this ink. It is similar (both are hybrid inks) to Schmidt's Easy Flow ink.

14. HeadOffice

HeadOffice Loaded Pockets

The Fisher space pen refills NEVER leak - just get a Fine point and away you go. If you're after a pen with an O-Ring for added safety when closed then the Hinderer Investigator Pen has such a thing...

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

The OP is currently using a G-2 in .38, so it doesn't sound to me like a Fisher would be in his wheelhouse. While it's true Fishers never leak, they actually write terribly compared to gel and even their fine is a thicker line than the OP is using.