1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Safe queen or user?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Thisguy93, May 11, 2016.

1. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've a lot of knife, folders and fixed, custom and traditional, small or big, that are all user in rotation and depending to the task.
    Than i have a large collection of Victorinox Alox, and those are all Case (my SWMBO doesn't allow me to expose them) Queens.
    Is it better clear now ? ;)

2. Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen

Reidar Chr. L. Guttormsen Loaded Pockets

Did you mean Safe Queens? If you meant to use another word than safe because you do not use a safe, you cant use Case as that is a knife brand and is confusing :)

Nick4305 likes this.
  3. DomC

DomC Loaded Pockets

I'm a utilitarian. I have a modest knife collection consisting of folders and fixed blades...all users. They will be handed down to my son (who is also a utilitarian) when I pass. No safe queens here...

DomC

4. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

That was intentional..."case" intended as a box, where i store my Alox, but it doesn't matter anymore... ;)

5. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I use everything I buy, no matter what the cost.

6. Sharp Knife

Sharp Knife Loaded Pockets

Everything I buy gets sharpened. Buying to collect and look at, without running it over a stone, does not appeal to me. Everything also gets carried and used at some point. I have 4 carbon knives set aside for future enjoyment, after sharpening and forced patina, but their protected status is always in jeopardy.

7. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

i understand keeping knives secure if they're an investment but that just doesn't appeal to me.

the only knife i have that i never edc is one with a locking blade because that's illegal over here. other than that, everything has been carried at some point, some more than others due to usefulness, including my grandfathers knife. it has sentimental value, sure, but i know :censored: well he'd rather see it used everyday than sit in a drawer gathering dust

8. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Loaded Pockets

The thing I wonder about is when someone buys a knife and the complains about it not being in perfect condition to me that means that they do not intend to use the knife. Why carry a knife around in your pocket if your not going to use it?

9. raggasonic

raggasonic Loaded Pockets

All my knives are users and they're all $300+ worthy. I just can't buy a knife and not using it hard

10. Dustin.G

Dustin.G Loaded Pockets

i dont buy anything that i wouldn't want to use.

Maybe if i was wealthy i might have interest in buying stuff only to look at and fondle, but as it stands, im broke, and if i have any money to spend, its going towards something i'll actually use.

TDS likes this.
  11. Lucian

Lucian Loaded Pockets

I think the old definition of a safe queen was a high value time piece like a Rolex or similar high end piece that would be locked away in a safe, never used and occasionally brought out into the light of day, and that watch would increase in value over time. I guess any high end high value item stored or cherished in a such a way can be defined as a safe queen. I have a few high end custom knives which you could call safe queens that rarely come out of the case apart from when I clean and oil my collection (and they are due for another oiling). I have about a hundred knives now but I wouldn't call myself a user. Because of UK laws I'm prevented from carrying knives outside in public so I envy you guys living in the US, though I do carry a multi-purpose tool which has a blade. I'm much more of a collector and collecting stuff thas rare. But I'm getting into making knives. I just love knives :)

plague112 and Nick4305 like this.
  12. TMW89

TMW89 Loaded Pockets

I try to carry all of mine, but I think about what I'm going to do that day before I pick one.

For instance, I barely cut anything serious with my Kershaw Leek bc it seems so fragile with that narrow tip on it. Wouldn't really call it a "user" although I carry it fairly often.

13. Rizzle O

Rizzle O Loaded Pockets

I have a couple safe Queens I bought just because I liked them. They will occasionally see use opening packages and mail but rarely do they go more than a few feet from the storage locker.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

14. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

I have one safe queen that I wouldn't use, even though it's sharp.
    It's a Swiss Officer's Dagger, a bit too big for edc ad not really useful blade shape ;)

[​IMG]

15. earbear

earbear Loaded Pockets

Looks like a shortsword for a hobbit :p. Looks very cool with that handle and handguard.

I use all my knives, some were bought because of how practical they are. Others because I liked them for some reason. I think of it like people collecting toys and keep them in the box, it doesn't make much sense to me. Actually using them is part of the fun imo.
    I can understand though that some people keep these as an investment, were being in pristine state is part of the vallue of the item.

Adahn likes this.
  16. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Well, I've got this dagger from a co-worker who knows about my addiction. It's from her late husband and I really don't see any practical use for it except to hear words like >Et tu, Brute?< The value is something around $60-80 afaik but that's not the reason not to use it. Maybe I'll hang it at the wall someday, with kids that's not the best idea though as this piece is sharp indeed.
    My friend also gave me her husband's SIG P7 pistol for cleaning, it was stored in its leather sheath in a cellar, you can imagine the mold and rust, even on the rust was mold. If I had time and money for it I could have the gun for free but with wife and 2 sons (1.5/3yo) there's not much time for a new hobby atm ;)

TDS and earbear like this.
  17. earbear

earbear Loaded Pockets

Sounds like a knife you shouldn't get rid of ;). Believe me, the years will pass in no time. You'll be able to hang it on the wall soon when they fully understand not to touch certain things.

I don't know about Swiss laws. But you could look at airsoft replica guns. A bag of bullets doesn't cost much, about 10/15 euros for 4000 rounds. Just stick the LiPo battery in the rifle and you are ready to shoot some targets in the backyard.
    They are biodegradable so you don't even have to clean up after playing. I know it's very different from actual guns but it's still fun though. And allot cheaper and easyer to pick up and shoot a bit for an hour after kids bedtime. The replica's look and feel good as well. Here in NL we need a special airsoft license that you have to pay for every year and thats all. So you can buy and keep them at home, and use them on private property or appointed locations.

Adahn likes this.
  18. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Sounds good and I think it's legal around here, too, the country is quite crowded and I don't know people where I could do that on their land. The biggest issue is time though, with 2 small kids, working hors from 8am-6pm it's difficult to start a new hobby. But we'll see, when it's calming down I'll maybe join a local shooting club, good way to get to know more people (we just moved to this place last year, I cam to CH in 2006).
    At least they won't be sos cared about knives that are not SAKs and maybe I can make some knives or at least new handles like the last one for a co-worker. It was part of his farewell so I guess it will become a safe queen as well ;)

[​IMG]

(It was an old used knife, I polished it a bit and made the handle, too bad I didn't find a piece of brass for the guard but carbon fiber had to be good enough then.)

earbear likes this.
  19. earbear

earbear Loaded Pockets

I saw it in the knife mod thread, good job on that blade. The handle gives it much more character.

It sure is the most demanding time when they are so young. I am sure they will share your hobby's in the future though, and you will be able to spend tons of time on it with them ;).

Adahn likes this.
  20. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Well, I hope so. My first son is 3yo and loves mechanic things like locks and doors, esp. sliding doors, sometimes a bit too much :p
    The little one (1.5yo) loves to play with what he can find, so yeah, I think it will be interesting to see what happens next.

I just hope it's getting a bit more quiet here when they go to kindergarten every day or later to school...

earbear likes this.