1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Saddleback Redux: The Thin Briefcase

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by grayman, Sep 7, 2010.

1. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

So I've been looking at the Saddleback stuff for some time trying to decide whether or not to drop the coin on a bag. After reading a very persuasive post by Mercop awhile back, I decided, the tactical look wasn't the way to go for. I had already adjusted my clothing for concealed carry some years back just to maintain the anonymous look. I decided it was time to do the same with my EDC bag. After determining I prefer the messenger bag style of carry, I was able to narrow down my bag choice. I like the idea of long lasting leather. After some thought and adjusting my EDC bag contents to better suit my needs, and after a lot of reading and comparison, I opted for the Saddleback large satchel in chestnut.

I ordered it the night of 9/2, it shipped the following day 9/3, and it arrived on 9/7 right after the Labor Day weekend.

[​IMG]

My first impression after taking it out of the plastic was ....:censored:!! It is one good looking well made bag.

[​IMG]

I was pleased to find that the interior wasn't just unfinished leather. The inside and outside pockets seem smaller than they appeared on the manufactures website, but I believe they expand out some if you put something larger in them.

[​IMG]

There is a strap with a clip on it to attach keys to so you can drop them in and not loose them.

[​IMG]

Here is my typical EDC packed in. An iPad, which fits perfectly in the back pocket. A small Unikit that has my moleskine notebook, couple pens, pencil, sharpie, Fenix PD-30, paracord, leatherman, and compass. I've also got a steno pad and book stuffed in. I normally don't carry books around, but I've been reading World War Z.

[​IMG]

Here without the book I turned the Unikit and steno on their side, I also put my Hideaway knife in the inside pocket. I've still got room for more. I could also put everything in the Unikit in the two inside end pockets since just about everything has a clip to reclaim space.

[​IMG]

This is just my first impression of the bag. We'll be off to work tomorrow to put it to the test. Dimensionally, this bag is 1" shorter and 3.5" more shallow than the medium messenger bag. Since I was trying to get away from the larger than needed bags, this just seemed like a good fit. I guess we'll see.

2. Heavy_Hog

Heavy_Hog Loaded Pockets

Awesome. Thanks for the review and the pics!

3. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Loaded Pockets

I might try one of these bags for my camera gear.

4. firemedic183

firemedic183 Loaded Pockets

I have the Saddleback Leather iPad case, and I LOVE it!!! They seem to be a very high quality company, and I hope that you thoroughly enjoy your bag and post more thoughts as they come. Thank you for the great pics!!!

5. Mecha04

Mecha04 Loaded Pockets

Cool looking bag
    All you need now is a whip and a hat :)

6. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Could we get some pics of it being carried on your person? We like pics!

7. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I'm sad to report I'm sending the satchel bag. After a lot of thought and a significant amount of ridicule from my co-workers, I've determined that the Satchel is too small to be carried on my person. While it looks fine on my buddy Disher, he is 6'2" tall and 140 lbs. I'm 5'11" and gravitationally challenged. Therefore the bag looks tiny when I carry it. Tiny to the point of being purse like on me. (Bear on a moped was mentioned.) Also, the Satchel I received was a medium and not the large I ordered.

Anyway I called customer service and told them what my problem is. I went ahead and purchased a large chestnut thin briefcase, and they sent me shipping labels to return the Satchel. I should have the larger bag withing a day or two I'd think and I'll post pictures of that one as well.

8. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

glad you are getting what you want, grayman - and great to hear that you had such a great experience with the return shipping being taken care of.

As much as I've drooled over the website, AND as much as I like the looks of the satchel over the briefcases (just me)....I arrived at basically the same thing - with me being 6'4" and around 275ish... it was just gonna look like a purse on me.

I recently added the "backpack" in dark coffee to my "wishlist" on the SB site....but at over $500 it's gonna have to be on Dave's deals or something before I get one. oh well...it is just crazy how lust-inspiring SB stuff is! :)

look forward to your review of the slim briefcase.

9. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I really don't thing the backpack configuration would be too comfortable for a big fellow. I've got broad shoulders and often, finding a pack that is comfortable, well, it's just hard to find something that fits well. I've actually been selling off some of my other bags. I will tell you that I bought a RedOxx Rucksack. I spent a week in Mexico and I wore it for hours out a time. It was fantastic to use, plenty of room and pockets, convenient in the airports. I'd highly recommend one to anyone.

10. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

well, my straps on my RUSH 24 have probably ruined me for all other "mortal" bags....they are really even more comfy than my old ATS RAID (gen1)....but what I liked about the straps on the SB backpack was that they were detachable.

I sent an email (just tonight) to SB asking how long they were...but I was THINKING that they would be long enough to wear as a backpack...but then also, I could hook them to the D rings on the sides... and hook the straps together to make a long single....

but then again, this is like wondering if I would really fit well in a Land Rover Defender D90....I'm not gonna spend 40k to find out when I can build an equally capable jeep for under 10k. but it's FUN to drool haha....

11. eyelikeglasses

eyelikeglasses Loaded Pockets

I wish I could afford one. That is such a classy looking bag. I bet it smells so good.

12. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Funny, everyone that looked at it in the office commented on how good it smelled.

13. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

So after a few weeks of carrying the new Saddleback Leather Thin Briefcase I have to say it's a winner. Like the satchel it is an quality piece. Dimensionally it is only 3 inches wider than the satchel, and inch and a half taller, but a about an inch shallower. It also has a divider in the middle with a large pocket on it, which has come in handy for smaller items like a camera, etc...It also has two pockets at either end intended for pens and pencils, but I think one may be used for a small fixed blade knife when I find the right one. I use to carry my Coogler Custom Hide-Away Knife in my bags, but there isn't a place to clip the sheath to so the knife may be drawn. It has a suspenders like clip that attaches to something so it will clear the sheath as needed and there just isn't a place in the bag. :censored:, just another excuse to by a knife.

The think briefcase looks very much like the large satchel.
    [​IMG]

These pictures don't do it justice for the size, but I've crammed quite a bit of stuff inside.
    [​IMG]

I carry my small unikit with an assortment of pens, compass, microfiber cloth, Fenix PD-60, leatherman, moleskine notebook, paracord, etc....Plus I have my iPad I carry on a daily basis, my Hide-Away knife and a steno pad. I have a small FAK I need to add back in as well, but it takes up little room.
    [​IMG]

14. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

Very Nice, Grayman!
    I need to find my large Unikit...it's in the "bag closet" somewhere! lol!
    HAK knives are awesome as well. I just have the cheapo ultilty version, but it's been cutting everything I ever have asked it to for 3 years now. I have several different carry options, but it's always on me / around me.

Bet we'll look at these bags in a few years and be blown away at how they age and break in! :)

cheers-
    john