1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Saddleback Leather Medium Satchel....

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by rjg1124, Dec 7, 2012.

1. rjg1124

rjg1124 Empty Pockets

I am new here, and I am considering purchasing a the medium satchel from Saddleback Leather. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience with the bag or any other saddleback shoulder bags? I have read that the weight is really the only negative to the bags. Any input would greatly help! I currently use a red oxx rock hopper daily, and while it is a great bag, I have plans to sell it and purchase a more professional bag for work. Thanks!

2. Coup de Grace

Coup de Grace Uber Prepared

Owned all kinds of bags. Had a medium briefcase at one time. Not too heavy if just walk from home to the car then from parking lot to work. I have one of their backpacks now. Not too heavy at all.
    I just love SBL. Made huge pieces of full grain leather, top notch constructions and rugged good looks. If you can get past they weight (and price), they are fantastic EDC bags.

3. plumbready

plumbready Empty Pockets

I have carried kifaru, maxpedition, and many others. Recently I got turned on to Saddleback. Their leather pieces are very functional pieces of art. I am using the large classic briefcase for my laptop and other business necessities. Just got the large satchel for my edc. I have seen the weight of the bags brought up in many reviews as well. For me it is not an issue. In fact the weight is a sign of the quality and longevity of all the Saddleback products.
    I did spend a good amount of time deciding on the size of the satchel. For me I am very glad I got the large. It is about the same width and depth as my maxpedition fatboy with a water bottle in it. It is taller, but that allows me to easily fit my iPad.
    Watch on Dave's deals and you can save some serious cash.

Good luck!

4. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

They're high class stuff. A friend of mine has had one for years now and it's like butter. He uses Dr. Glove (A baseball glove break in treatment) to keep it in good shape.

5. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

Just breaking in my saddleback large briefcase. I love it and I'm not bothered by the weight at all. They do look very professional, and I get compliments everywhere I bring it... Which is something that never happened while carrying nylon bags. I feel like the heavier this bag gets, the more it settles in and it just carries more comfortably.

6. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

That sounds like B.S. Sorry... just couldn't resist. :D

7. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

Well... I could clarify... My timbuk2 loaded to the same weight just doesn't carry the same. The lack of structure and less forgiving nylon strap seems to dig quite a bit more into my shoulder. Do I wish the saddleback bag was three pounds lighter? Yes... But I feel like I would lose the structure and durability that these bags are known for...

I don't want to turn this into another goruck thread :frantic: ...

Saddleback makes great bags.... professional looking, durable and the company offers amazing customer service... I called earlier this week and received a follow up email and phone call that was above and beyond friendly.

8. Schuey2002

Schuey2002 Loaded Pockets

This thread needs pics.....

trickcunningham likes this.
  9. *quercus*

*quercus* Loaded Pockets

I have the medium satchel and yes its a top notch bag. very sturdy, very heavy ;), and very classy. i was expecting the capacity of the medium to be bigger and had i the chance again, i would have saved up a bit longer and gone for the large satchel instead. i will post some pics in a bit.

on a side note, i dont treat the bag at all as i want it to show the signs of my abuse! :stomp:

10. rjg1124

rjg1124 Empty Pockets

Pics would be awesome!

11. craneman

craneman Loaded Pockets

I have had a large briefcase for about 10 months now. I bought it used on ebay for a decent price. It is heavy, but I don't carry it long distances so it doesn't bother me. I really like the bag and think it looks great. A picture of mine for Schuey and rjg.

[​IMG]

And I know the chair is ugly, but it's comfortable and it was free!

kertap75 likes this.
  12. Schuey2002

Schuey2002 Loaded Pockets

Sweet bag!

Thanks for the pic, craneman!

13. craneman

craneman Loaded Pockets

You're welcome. Pics make every thread better.

14. *quercus*

*quercus* Loaded Pockets

Wow! Apparently i dont abbuse mine enough!! heres the medium satchel i was talking about...

[​IMG]

15. RobME

RobME Loaded Pockets

Oops... just posted these in another thread, oh well...

Med. Chestnut Classic BC, my sometimes EDC...
    [​IMG]

Large DCB Satchel, my other sometimes EDC... just reconditioned (will be selling), as I wait for the Small Ltd. Classic BC to be delivered...
    [​IMG]

Bandolier style carry with the shoulder strap, makes weight a non-issue with these beautiful & rugged bags! Count me a fan. :)

16. craneman

craneman Loaded Pockets

Those are all nice bags RobMe.