1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sad news- Marshall of GoingGear.com has passed

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by TECENG, Oct 2, 2017.

1. TECENG
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • Sponsor - Manufacturer
    • +4 Supporter
    • +3 Supporter
    • +2 Supporter
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

TECENG Loaded Pockets

I just saw the horrible news posted on Instagram this morning:

====================================
    Mr. Marshall W. Hoots, age 37, of Marietta, passed away Monday, September 25, 2017. A celebration of his life will be held 2 pm Sunday, October 8 at the gazebo in the Arboretum and pond park behind the Smyrna Community Center. The family will receive friends at the Family Celebration Center at Carmichael Funeral Home following the service. Mr. Hoots is survived by his wife Lindsay D. Hoots, children Quinnlyn and Cullen Hoots, parents Michael Hoots and Diane Hoots, brother Matthew (Sheila) Hoots, nephews Daniel, Anthony and Matthew Hoots. Carmichael Funeral Home in Smyrna is in charge of arrangements, 770-435-4467. www.carmichaelcares.com

From Marshall's brother:

We want to thank you for your support of Going Gear over the years. Marshall founded Going Gear to provide you all with products to support your outdoor living lifestyle. You all have been supportive of Marshall's business and have said wonderful things about him on social media. For that I thank you.

The doors to Going Gear are still open so you can visit in the store or place orders online still. There are some limited items that Marshall designed
    In Marshall's memory we have created a trust to help his 2 beautiful children get the education they deserve when they are 18.
    https://www.gofundme.com/trust-for-marshalls-children

Thanks for your support in honoring my brother's memory with a donation to my niece and nephew's fund.

Here is Marshall's tribute wall if you would like to leave some kind words for all to see:
    http://www.carmichaelfuneralhomes.com/obituaries/Marshall-Wayne-Hoots?obId=2599977#/celebrationWall

If you would like to join us to celebrate his life come join us this Sunday:
    http://www.carmichaelfuneralhomes.com/obituaries/Marshall-Wayne-Hoots?obId=2599977#/obituaryInfo

Please keep Lindsay and his children in your thoughts and prayers.
    ===============================

I did not know Marshall very well, only through phone conversations. But true to what I have heard about him, he seemed like one of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I am truly shocked and saddened by the news, the EDC world has lost a pretty big presence.

Stormdrane and Dr Jekell like this.
  2. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I just got a text from my brother about this. I didn't know Marshall very well either, but had the opportunity to visit with him a few times at Blade Show. He was always nice and made time for everyone, even when there was a non-stop flow of people at the Going Gear section. Sad day.

Stormdrane and TECENG like this.
  3. nosuchagency

nosuchagency Loaded Pockets

Positive thoughts to his family and friends.

4. mzil

mzil Loaded Pockets

So sorry to hear the bad news in my email. Going Gear is a great company and his family should be proud of what he started. I have bought many flashlights, mini ferro rods, and paracord from Marshall's great business and was always treated well. RIP

5. Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock Loaded Pockets

I hope it's okay to post this here. So far I haven't seen it announced at EDC Forums but a week or so ago I got an e-mail from GoingGear.com that their founder, Marshall Hoots, has passed away. Sadly he was only in his thirties and leaves behind a wife and two small children. Even if you've never purchased from GoingGear most of you probably know Marshall from his many youtube video reviews of gear. I never met him but his video reviews were great and his laugh was infectious. You could tell he was a real gear geek like the rest of us.

I've purchased a fair amount of stuff there and the service was always great. Marshall will be missed but the business he started will go on.

There's a GoFundMe campaign to raise money for his kids. Just wanted to let everyone know.

6. MAD777

MAD777 Loaded Pockets

Very sad indeed. Way too young and with children. Marshall knew how to put the customer first in business. His flashlight comparison videos were invaluable. His kind spirit was evident in those videos. RIP Marshall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

https://www.edcforums.com/threads/going-gears-marshall-hoots-r-i-p.138439/
    This was posted in The Breakroom back on the 2nd. Not a lot of responses (since it's near the bottom of the forum listings, I suspect most folks miss that section) so this thread will probably be viewed by more members.

Very sad. I had met Marshall at Blade Show. He seemed like a really down to earth guy that was passionate about his work and very customer oriented. He'll be missed for sure.

Rob Babcock likes this.
  8. CIVSD

CIVSD Loaded Pockets

That's horrible news. Marshall's videos were always informative.

9. Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock Loaded Pockets

Sorry to double post, couldn't find any mention of it.

10. Leon68

Leon68 Empty Pockets

Very sad news, I've been following his YouTube channel for years

RIP