1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

S30v...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by DillePickle, Mar 21, 2015.

1. DillePickle

DillePickle Loaded Pockets

Maybe this should be in the multi tool threads but I figured us knife guys would know a lot more about the steels but does anyone else feel like the s30v on the leatherman charges doesn't really seem like s30v I mean even the 154cm alx doesn't really feel like 154cm? Is this just me?

2. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

What do you mean it doesn't feel like s30v/150cm?

3. DillePickle

I have knives of the same steel and my knives hold their edges longer than my leathermans , for instance I was doing some roof work last Saturday with my charge tti and after the 6 hours we worked with only about 1 hour of actual knife work it was dull. But ik I was was to work the same job with my knife of the same steel my blade would still have a wicked edge . Idk if the heat treating is different or what but it's almost like it's false advertisement lmao

4. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

Well I noticed that my S30V blade on my Charge doesn't stay shaving sharp for long, but the blade geometry isn't ideal IMO. And maybe their HT isn't very consistent, don't know about that..

5. DillePickle

Some people love the blade shape but I much much prefer a blade with belly I personally don't really care for the blade but for a multitool the main use I use it for is the pliers I have designated blades for that reason

Hangman and theirishboxer like this.
  6. farnorthdan
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

farnorthdan Loaded Pockets

Many factors can effect edge retention from knife to knife, a couple that come to mind immediately are heat treatment and edge profile. One you can do something about, the other, not so much.

MatteoRR, Hangman and theirishboxer like this.
  7. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

I have a feeling that the HT has more to do with it than anything, it can have as much to do with edge retention of a steel as composition. I almost wish they would just leave the blades out of multi-tools, I've never really had one I liked, they really just take up room that could be used for something else or add weight. Just my opinion tho.

REDDEVIL and Gilatabar like this.
  8. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

If you want to really compare the "upgrade" you need to consider how much more you got done with the Charge, vs. how much you would have achieved with a Wave. I have S30V knives from several different companies and they are all a little different. Personally, I consider the blades on my multi-tools to be back ups for my dedicated knife. For roofing work (cutting shingles) nothing beats a good old utility knife.

Gilatabar likes this.
  9. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

You can buy a good utility for roofing for 10-30 bucks.... save yourself the hassle.

gibbsrule9, Gilatabar and Hangman like this.
  10. DillePickle

It was just really minor patches work no shingles really . We cut off old silicone off of the vents (the blade made content with the metal of the vents) and cutting tar paper( the blade made content with plywood) so it was nothing very serious at least not for that kind of steel at least I thought so and like I said out of six hours working it was only about a hours work with the blade

Gilatabar and Mumbojumboo like this.
  11. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

Gilatabar hit it on the head. I think the blade geometry is a bit cramped. They are definitely S30V and 154CM and those two steels have some well known and dialed in heat treats...

Gilatabar likes this.
  12. MartialArtist

MartialArtist Loaded Pockets

It could be a different heat treat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Bubba stump

Bubba stump Loaded Pockets

Don't know about the s30v charge but I've been impressed with the 154cm steel on my skeletool cx.

REDDEVIL likes this.