1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

S&W 6906 opinions

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Brother wolf, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Brother wolf

Brother wolf Empty Pockets

Got a good deal on a S&W 6906 police trade in. I have read good things on them but just figured I'd get some input from you guys.

2. twinboysdad

twinboysdad Loaded Pockets

One of the more underrated handguns, imo. I have had this model and the 3913 and they both are easy to carry and reliable as corn through a goose. BUT, finding holsters can be challenging as it is a discontinued gun. You should be paying $350 tax included to be sure. I would get a few magazine from the store as well if they have a surplus with the police trade ins. 12 + 1 capacity, accurate and good trigger

3. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I picked up a newer 5906 years ago. 3rd gen. I think mine are 15 rd mags that also work with yours.

4. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

As a police armorer I also aggree that the 6906 (the S&W third generation) is a somewhat underrated gun This was one of the guns that led to S&W's down fall even though it was a good gun. However its predecessor, the 669 the (second generation) version of the same gun was and is still an increadible buy, if you can find one it is a great buy.

5. TNRat

TNRat Loaded Pockets

Does it have the round trigger guard? I like the look of those better but it makes no difference performance wise.

The longer magazines with the block that fits around the portion of the mag body extending from the grip look mean and give you more rounds.

Post pics if you can. Good move.

6. PX

PX Empty Pockets

JMOfartO:

I consider the 3rd Gen S&W 6906 as a fantastic 9mm pistol..

I was taken with the "3rd Gen S&W fever" a couple of years ago when CDNN was selling the last of the NIB 5906/6906's.. I believe they were $399.99. I bought a 6906, then followed it up with a 5906 (to which I added CT Lasergrips) that is my home defense pistol of choice... I was so happy with both that I scrounged around and bought a new 3913LS, CS9, and a "slightly" used CS45.

I consider the entire line of these 3rd Gen Smiths to be excellent pistols.. My favorite attribute of the 3rd Gen S&W pistols is seemingly absolute reliability.. And for me in a firearm used for personal defense, RELIABILITY is job ONE.

The only downside I found with the 3rd Gen Smith lineup is that while they are all self defense accurate, for me, none of them have been very, very accurate.. My daily cc is an H&K P2000sk and none of my Smiths can hold a candle in shooting tiny groups as can the H&K.. Then I got to thinking about it and I realized the 3 white dot sights of the H&K are roughly TWICE the size of those of the excellent, but smaller, Novaks, and for an old fart with declining vision that could be BIG factor in why I shoot smaller groups with the SK.

Plus the H&K cost twice as much (+) as did any of the Smiths.. In fact I paid less for the 6906 and the 5906 together than I did for the P2000sk (V3) and with the exception of the size of the groups it will shoot vs the Smiths will do everything the H&K will do.

Now I love my SK, but in the real world of self defense firearms it's NOT twice the pistol the 6906 is...

Another consideration (mentioned by a previous poster) is that you can use the 15rd mags of the 5906 (w/Smith mag adapter) and you get a higher capacity and I actually like the looks and "feel" of the 6906 better with the larger mag/adapter setup than I do the original 13rd fingertip mags that come standard.

And, as for holsters?

I ordered a slim Kydex iwb holster from FIST for about $40, and ALL of my 3rd gen Smiths fit in it perfectly.. FIST makes good stuff, Kydex, or leather, and the price is reasonable.

IMO all of the fine 3rd Gen Smiths are underrated, underappreciated, and excellent firearm bargains... The double-stack 3913 (6906) is one of my favorites..

Best Wishes,

Jesse

P.S. Here's a photo of my 6906 w/the mag adapter and 15rd mag from the 5906..

[​IMG]

7. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

We carried the 3rd gen S&W 9mms at my job for almost 20 years. Good solid guns, very reliable and durable.

I sometimes wish I had kept my 6906.

8. dagger

dagger Empty Pockets

I have a 6946 DAO version i believe of the 6906 and it has been an excellent pistol, very reliable and easy to conceal and carry. Unfortunately i am going to sell it to fund another pistol buy.;D

Vic.

9. jwhite75

jwhite75 Loaded Pockets

Theh third gen Smiths are very rugged and built like a tank. You will not be sorry. As for holsters. Check out Side Guard Holsters. They are on the Net Just Google Plus the Kel-tec P11 will take the 69 series mags for a BUG gun.

10. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Hope I can say the same for my 5906. unfired.

11. Patriot222

Patriot222 Empty Pockets

I work in the firearms industry and have grown up shooting these. They really are solid gun and in many ways were actually made better than the current generation of whatever the manufacturers are offering. Other than the fact the 5906 sits a bit high in the hand I can't think of anything negative about the gun at all. Even Sigs sit high in the hand...no biggie.

12. Brother wolf

Brother wolf Empty Pockets

Thanks for all the input guys. It is turning out to be a good carry piece. It conceals almost as good as my snub Smith and has 7 more rounds. I am thinking about going back to the original grips for a slimmer profile. If I can find some for sale that is.