1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

S-Biner Alternatives

Discussion in 'Other Carrying Devices' started by MikeySnyder, Dec 16, 2011.

1. MikeySnyder

MikeySnyder Loaded Pockets

Hey guys. Took a little hiatus from the EDCF, thanks to work.... But im back! And i wanna know what you guys use instead of S-Biners! Im looking to replace mine, after it came open on me at work and i lost(but thankfully found) the keys to my store, my house, my safe, and my garage! This isnt the first time this has happened either. But it will be the last!

I like how slim, and sleek it is. Very non-bulky, which is why i dont just use a carabiner. Ive also thought about just permanently closing the bottom gate with some JB Weld, or other metal bonding epoxy..... Since i could still slide keyrings off and on easily enough.

Thoughts?

2. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

Loving grimlocks with a hole drilled in for keyrings perfect

3. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

I use a piece of shrink wire wrap on mine. I really like how S biners keep things going the right direction.

4. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

Home Depot sells an inexpensive S-shaped dual carabiner. They may be found in the same area as key ring accessories -- next to the Service Desk in the local stores.

The thicker spring gates require considerably more pressure than the Nite-Ize S-Biners. I have a couple and they work well for carrying a key ring on my belt loop.

[​IMG]

5. RexHavoc

RexHavoc Loaded Pockets

6. Glock 'em down

7. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I use a lot of s biners and never had a problem. But since hearing about others losing keys I got proactive and started using gutted paracord as a gate lock on the key tool side. I've heard that the newer Sbiners are much better then the older ones, but I wonder why they haven't come out with one that has a built in gate lock. Maybe it's one of those corporate " we can't admit that there is really a problem, our product doesn't have any flaws" kinda thing?

8. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Gave mine to the GrandKids, and went with 2 of the $.40 round "McGizmo's" from TEC Accessories,joined by a #6 split ring from Lighthound.

I'm just too stubborn to spend time 'fixing' a POS that should have been recalled,along with a public apology issued.

~:evilgrin:

9. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

I saw some s-biners on the Supply Captain web site under "paracord accessories" that look different than the Nite Eyes version. Don't know if they work any better but I'll try some next order.

10. RonReagan

RonReagan Loaded Pockets

I also use heat shrink to keep then closed, works great.

11. MikeySnyder

MikeySnyder Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I think im gonna go with the heat shrink option, and close that sucker up!

12. RonReagan

RonReagan Loaded Pockets

Yeah I use 1/4" and it holds well. The smaller sclips ones like #1 and. #0 would need a smaller shrink tube size.

13. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Loaded Pockets

/ten char.

Last edited by PinoyBoy, Feb 11, 2014
  14. Mitty

Mitty Loaded Pockets

Amen.

15. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

I was surprised at how tight the little ones lock up too. For what I used them for the plastic ones have been fine, I found them on clearance at a local video store.

16. mash4077

mash4077 Loaded Pockets

Oshiat and Yetitrician like this.
  17. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

There are other threads here on S-Biners and fixes.

One trick I've used is to put small springs on the gate. You have to pull the spring back to release what you carry so it is a tow handed process but it works well. If you have the spare parts it is a freebie fix too. Easier access than heatshrink tubing or cut down drinking straws and looks better.

What I like to use is a GearKeeper from Hammerhead Industries. They have plenty of options. I have one that attaches to my belt with a Velcro loop and the steel cable that holds the keys will never break. It easily allows for comfortable and secure pocket carry or lets the keys hang from the belt. Either way I don't worry about losing them. Plenty of length on the cable too -- I can reach my locker (chest high) without having to remove the keys from it. Mine is about eight years old and still going.

18. Dozer

Dozer Loaded Pockets

I use heat shrink tubing on mine as well.. Since I started doing that never had an issue.

19. Vader9900
    • In Omnia Paratus

Vader9900 Loaded Pockets

The new s-biners have grooves that the gate rest in. They stay perfectly closed now, nothing is coming off them unintentionally. Great product!

20. Mitty

Mitty Loaded Pockets

Interesting. That is exactly what I did to mine two or three years ago when I bought them and found out what a terrible design they were. I have not had the confidence to use them in demanding circumstances since, however, so I didn't know whether that would be a fix or not.

Filing notches in that tough stainless steel is a b1tc#.